• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

K75S Broken Fuel Tank Mount

DarrenP

I need to get some opinions/ideas on how to repair one of the two aluminum posts that hold the rear of the tank onto the frame. One has snapped off though I have the broken piece.
Should I have it repaired by welding??....some type of aluminum epoxy etc. by JB Weld??....or some other option that I have not thought of?
The opinion of the repair facility that I use, Bob's BMW, is to not worry about it as the tank is secured fine with one mount, but my overly anal retentive nature tells me to have it fixed.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Shouldn't be a problem unless you turn the bike upside down. I lost the rubber
grommets the pegs fit in years ago and my tank is still nicely in place.

Broken Tank Mount

While it's probably OK to have only one rear mount, I would suggest having it welded back on during the off-season. This will give you (or Bob's) the opportunity to properly clean the inside of the tank, since no sane welder will touch a less than thoroughly cleaned tank. Without the mount, that side of the tank will move more than normal and the next thing you know you won't be able to keep the battery cover on that side on the bike.

The welder Bob's uses is the best I've ever dealt with. When he's done, the repair will be invisible and stronger than new.

If you don't want to clean the tank, I have a brother who is an excellent welder and a bit insane, so i'm sure he'd do it for you. (esp since it's external to the tank)
Gilly

I need to get some opinions/ideas on how to repair one of the two aluminum posts that hold the rear of the tank onto the frame. One has snapped off though I have the broken piece.
Should I have it repaired by welding??....some type of aluminum epoxy etc. by JB Weld??....or some other option that I have not thought of?
<SNIP>

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

The male end on the tank break off, or the female end on the frame?

Either way...I would fix ASAP...as you're currently placing more stress on the other one than it was designed to...don't be surprised that if you wait to long to fix the current one, the other one will eventually go.
Either way...make sure the rubber grommet is still there to absorb the vibration.

HTH

I just have to ask: How did it get broken off in the first place?

Prying with a big pry bar without removing the circlip is the only way I can imagine that happening.

Fast Steel epoxy putty is the way I'd go!

I swear by some epoxy-steel putty I discovered at Home Depot a few years ago.

Comes in a 2 ounce roll-tube in the adhesives section and costs all of $3.

Tear off a small chunk, knead it in your hands (wear latex gloves) for two minutes or so and shape or fabricate whatever you need to make; anoither two or three minutes and it'll be as hard and sturdy as a rock.

I originally sought this stuff out for use in my lapidary work---(I'm collect and cut turquoise and this soft and fragile mineral is often backed for strength when grinding, shaping and polishing pieces for jewelry settings)---but now I use it for all sorts of durable, permanent fixes around the house or on the road.

Always carry a tube on the bike, too. Better than duct tape by far!

While it's probably OK to have only one rear mount, I would suggest having it welded back on during the off-season. This will give you (or Bob's) the opportunity to properly clean the inside of the tank, since no sane welder will touch a less than thoroughly cleaned tank. Without the mount, that side of the tank will move more than normal and the next thing you know you won't be able to keep the battery cover on that side on the bike.

The welder Bob's uses is the best I've ever dealt with. When he's done, the repair will be invisible and stronger than new.

Wisdom and Experience speaking load and clear.
Heed well.

Ride Safely,
BrickRider

Back