• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

RT Mirrors Solved

They Fit 1150RT Too

Ordered a set on a hunch and they also fit my '04 R1150RT and look great. More importantly, my rearward vision has been broadened.

Gee Whiz maybe you guys need one of those rear looking TV cameras and a small monitor mounted between the bars.

I wear a full face helmet and always do a head check when moving from lane to lane and I'm seventy years old. I use the stock mirrors with my wife and a full load in both panniers and the boot. If it won't fit in them we don't take it. When making a lane change I TURN MY HEAD and look back over my shoulder to make sure it's clear to go there. I "check my six" regularly using the stock mirrors and have never found a problem with being able to see to both sides and center in the rear. You just have to use the adjustments available in the mirrors. They are positioned far enough outboard that you can actually get an overlapping view behind you.

More junk hanging out in the wind is not what works for me.

to each his own there Marty, even with all the head movements, it's nice to have sightline mirrors on the bars of the 1200RT. Some folks have no issues...some do

How's this for some mirrors?:laugh and lights!

Attachments

• mirrored scooter.jpg
    mirrored scooter.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 902
I wear a full face helmet and always do a head check when moving from lane to lane and I'm seventy years old. I use the stock mirrors with my wife and a full load in both panniers and the boot. If it won't fit in them we don't take it. When making a lane change I TURN MY HEAD and look back over my shoulder to make sure it's clear to go there. .

As Steve said.....YMMV. Just like you, I always turn my head and look when changing lanes....do not use mirrors for that at all. However, prior to getting the new mirrors, I had been surprized several times by a car which suddenly darted out from behind me to pass, which I did not know was there. I have also had one episode of an emergency vehicle behind me which I did not see until he hit his siren. Just don't like surprizes. Not trying to belittle anyone......not saying my way is the only way. But, I'll keep the mirrors.

And, BTW, those backup cameras are pretty cool!

I just bought a 2005 r1200rt this summer and I love it. The stock mirrors are no where near as good as the ones that were on my k1100lt though. I tried the mirrors off of my k75and they seemed to work but I didn't check for windsheild clearance. I suspect most BMW mirrors ill work but I see if I can find out more. Has anyone mounted other BMW mirrors on their RT's? Ride Safr. Mike

GS mirrors on RT

I found the mirrors on my '05 RT to be OK once I got used to where to look, but I knew that they would be obstructed when the bike was loaded for camping, etc. The previous owner had used GS mirrors, but he took them off before he sold the bike to me. I found a set pretty cheap on eBay. I think they were off of an 1150GS. You are probably already aware that the mounting holes are already there.

620071655_PcGDR-O.jpg

+1 on the mirrors. A neighbor just picked up a used R bike that came with a box of extra parts. He was gonna chunk them and I told him I would take them. Wouldn't you know it there was a used pair of the same mirrors of a K1200RS. I ordered a set of nuts and installed them. At first I thought they looked a little "busy", but after a few rides I found myself relying on them more than the stockers. It also is actually a better view. I think they will stay on the bike.

'08 mirrors

+1 on the mirrors. At first I thought they looked a little "busy", but after a few rides I found myself relying on them more than the stockers. It also is actually a better view. I think they will stay on the bike.

Just did the same thing. Not too pleased with the price BUT being able to see to the rear is priceless.

PeterV

Ditto

I added the K1200RS sport mirrors to my RT after discovering that when I'm
fully loaded with all my traveling gear I can't see behind me. The additional mirrors do look a little busy, but I like them much better than the stock mirrors. I also added the little circular "blind spot" mirrors and they eliminate any blind spots as well. I was going to just put them on when I go touring with gear, but I like them so much I've decided to leave them on all the time. I did see another post about this somewhere else on this forum where the writer was noting that this addition does affect your mileage slightly. I don't care, I'm still keeping them.

Don

I was asked to post my "5 day" list. It's actually an any number of days list. I use "duo dry" shirts and undies from Target. I bring 3 of each and I wash them in the sink at a hotel if needed for longer trips. I roll them in a towel and step on them to dry them (a trick I got from the MOA magazine). That way, I always have some clean clothes. I usually bring enough socks for the trip, but I've washed them and used a blow dryer sometimes, but I rarely do this now as 5 pair of socks takes little room.

Other notes:
"Disposable Radar detector" I carry this where detectors are illegal. If I get pulled over, I have a broken radar detector to give to the police instead of my good one.

Bathroom kit: Toothbrush, earplugs (for snoring roomies), floss, toothpaste. I don't shave on the road.

Sleeping shorts: These are just some gym shorts I sleep in and also they are good for wearing if you need to get some ice, etc., at the hotel.

Pillow: I am very picky on pillows. I have a small foam pillow I travel with and I use a compressible bag to make it packable.

About the only time I use the trunk is if I am on a work trip and need to bring my computer or work clothes.

This is it:

TANK BAG:
Spare Key
Radar Detector
Disposable paper towels-Kleenex
Cell Phone, camera, camera cable and chargers
Maps
Book
Navigator
Cigars
IPOD and charger
Advil-Sudafed
Water Bottle
Ear Plugs-ear phones
Lighter
Eye drops
Coin Purse
Sunglasses
Print out on roads to ride
Any special event tickets, etc.
Disposable radar detector

Side Glove Box:
Pressure guage
1/5 Qt. oil
kickstand puck

Right Case:
Half rain cover
Waterproof liner
Heated vest
Siphon hose
Plexus/rag
Dark face shield
Rain gloves

Left Case:
Shirt/shorts (duo dry)
Socks
Pillow in compressible bag
Bathroom kit
Sleep shorts

Optional: (I almost never bring these items)
Clothes-long underwear, sweatshirt if needed
Bathing suit, Crocs

Under Seat:
Tire plugs and tool kit, spare fuel pump board, spare EWS key ring.

Wear: Boots, pants, Olympia suit, helmet, gloves

+6 on the GS mirrors. My 08RT has the gs mirrors since last weekend and I never use the oe anymore. Great choice and I paid $55 each.

Anyone order these RS mirrors lately? AS Cycles has them for over $90 with the washer and fastener.

Got another vendor?

I found the mirrors on my '05 RT to be OK once I got used to where to look, but I knew that they would be obstructed when the bike was loaded for camping, etc. The previous owner had used GS mirrors, but he took them off before he sold the bike to me. I found a set pretty cheap on eBay. I think they were off of an 1150GS. You are probably already aware that the mounting holes are already there.

620071655_PcGDR-O.jpg

Thread Hi-jack. Nice lift, is that one of those Harbor Freight lifts?? You seem to fell secure in pulling both tires on this lift. Please return to viewing your origional thread.

I ordered the Mirror - Sport Mirror (From K1200RS) BMW OEM and put them on my RT.

LOVE THEM! Way better coverage behind. I set my OEM mirrors to cover the blind spots beside me on each side. Way better for safety.

Spend the money and get a pair. They are worth every penny. So much the better if you can find them cheaply.

Harbor Freight lift?

r11rs94 -- It's not the HF lift. I think I got it at Pep Boys or some similar Auto parts store, but it's probably identical to the HF -- and probably came out of the same Chinese factory.

I may have used some additional support or straps when I pulled the wheels. Don't remember at this point, but it looks a little precarious perched up there!

r11rs94 -- It's not the HF lift. I think I got it at Pep Boys or some similar Auto parts store, but it's probably identical to the HF -- and probably came out of the same Chinese factory.

I may have used some additional support or straps when I pulled the wheels. Don't remember at this point, but it looks a little precarious perched up there!

Thanks for the info. I'm going to check it out at Pep Boys and save some shipping fees.:thumb

Back