Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: RT Mirrors Solved

I guess I'm the only one who doesn't think they look good. It just doesn't look right to me.

But, I also like the RT mirrors. I too added small blind spot circlular mirrors like in the picture and I can see everything I need to see, on the sides and behind. I think the stock mirrors are great.
    Rob C. , Raleigh, NC
    '10 R12RT, R90/6
    2007 CBR600RR & 09 V-Star
    Suzuki DR 350

Rally Rat
    Quote Originally Posted by RoboRider View Post
    I guess I'm the only one who doesn't think they look good. It just doesn't look right to me.

But, I also like the RT mirrors. I too added small blind spot circlular mirrors like in the picture and I can see everything I need to see, on the sides and behind. I think the stock mirrors are great.
    YMMV. I don't necessarily dislike the RT mirrors. I can tell you, however, that I was often surprised by a fast-moving car I did not see approaching. Yesterday (first day with the new mirrors) I could see cars directly behind me in both mirrors, while I could not see them at all in either of the stock RT mirrors. But, as I said.......YMMV.

Quote Originally Posted by E_Page View Post
    Jan,

What part number are those mirrors you have and about how much were they? I checked into those RS mirrors last week, but at $85 + tax each, even though they look great, I just couldn't get myself to spend the money.
    left- 51 167 653 773
    right-51 167 653 774

I got a set from Chicago BMW for $49 each a year or so back, on occasion BeemerBoneyard has used ones
    Steve Henson-Mod Team and SABMWRA Prez

Be decisive, right or wrong.The road of life is paved with
    flat squirrels who couldn't make a decision~unknown

I added the spot mirrors, but found after packing a large H2W's bag I could not see behind me as well...
    Adding the K mirrors took some visual getting used to, but they seem to be a stock look to me now.

Quote Originally Posted by hlothery View Post
    YMMV. I don't necessarily dislike the RT mirrors. I can tell you, however, that I was often surprised by a fast-moving car I did not see approaching. Yesterday (first day with the new mirrors) I could see cars directly behind me in both mirrors, while I could not see them at all in either of the stock RT mirrors. But, as I said.......YMMV.

As a 'new' RT owner, I'm still getting accustomed to the various differences of the RT - so perhaps I'm hyper-sensitive at this point. My observation has been that I can see with the stock RT mirrors, but I am well aware that I am not seeing all I use to see with the handle bar mounted mirrors of other bikes. I find it unnerving that I am compromising the ability to track and monitor traffic by using the limited depth sightlines of the stock mirrors. I also have noticed having to be much more intentional when stopped at a light to monitor traffic behind me (by looking down at the mirrors), where it seems with handle bar mounted rigs - the mirrors fall naturally into my field of range as I watch the light and crossing traffic, etc.

Thanks for sharing your discovery.
    2006 R1200RT

"Mr. Treehorn treats objects like woman, man."

Rally Rat
    Quote Originally Posted by henzilla View Post
    I added the spot mirrors, but found after packing a large H2W's bag I could not see behind me as well...
    Adding the K mirrors took some visual getting used to, but they seem to be a stock look to me now.
    Part of the problem for me may be that I always ride with the large topcase installed.....only time I have had it removed since I bought the bike is to take it in for service. Not sure how my vision would be without it. But I'm getting used to them too.......and liking what I see. (pun intended)

Ordered mine today from Chicago BMW. $145.74
    2006 R1200RT

"Mr. Treehorn treats objects like woman, man."

E_Page
    Thanks for the part #s, Steve. $50 is a little easier to deal with than $85.

I've also been surprised by fast moving cars (and an occaional bike) that I didn't see passing me on one side or the other. I don't like that at all.

Mirrors are definitely going on my Christmas list.

Quote Originally Posted by indycar View Post
    Ordered mine today from Chicago BMW. $145.74
    They have gotten popular or the exchange rate has altered the prices...mine were $49 each...But that was two summers ago.

Quote Originally Posted by hlothery View Post
    I should have added that 'to each his own'. I don't like them, but whatever works for the rider, that's the way to go! Nice post anyway.
    Rob C. , Raleigh, NC
    '10 R12RT, R90/6
    2007 CBR600RR & 09 V-Star
    Suzuki DR 350

Quote Originally Posted by indycar View Post
    As a 'new' RT owner, I'm still getting accustomed to the various differences of the RT - so perhaps I'm hyper-sensitive at this point. My observation has been that I can see with the stock RT mirrors, but I am well aware that I am not seeing all I use to see with the handle bar mounted mirrors of other bikes. I find it unnerving that I am compromising the ability to track and monitor traffic by using the limited depth sightlines of the stock mirrors. I also have noticed having to be much more intentional when stopped at a light to monitor traffic behind me (by looking down at the mirrors), where it seems with handle bar mounted rigs - the mirrors fall naturally into my field of range as I watch the light and crossing traffic, etc.

Thanks for sharing your discovery.
    Had my RT six months now. I will be getting some extra mirrors for two reasons. First, I rode to Daytona in October, and could not pack gear on top of the sidecases because they blocked my rear sight picture with the stock mirrors. Second, and something that will really help is having them when stopped at a merging road. With full gear, and a FF helmet, it is difficult to see over my shoulder for traffic, it is almost like having to look directly behind me. I have to do this every day riding home from work, and it is uncomfortable. Having mirrors on the bars will allow me to cock the bars and look through them, then look quickly and merge instead of having to look over my shoulder constantly for a gap in traffic.

Just my 2 cents.
    Jim Mock
    2008 R1200RT (The Blue Mule), R90/6 (New to me)
    MSF RiderCoach
    "Spring loaded to the riding position!"

Quote Originally Posted by henzilla View Post
    Same for me.

With a seat bag, the stock mirrors with spots worked OK for passing, but I couldn't see what was directly behind me, so I added the K12RS mirrors.

Quote Originally Posted by leadfoot View Post
    I read a post somewhere that someone had installed a set of K1200RS Sport mirrors, and they looked real nice. Post also had a pic, but I could not find them. Anyway, here is a pic of the mirror from A&S. I am going to get these as soon as my wallet catches up with my wants!

http://www.ascycles.com/detail.aspx?ID=1792
    It might have been my post and pictures. Here they are again.

If you are going to carry gear strapped on top of your side cases, you WILL need these mirrors. The externally mounted gear will block your original RT mirrors.

Also, I noticed a consistant drop of about 1-3 MPG with the mirrors. I experimented for about two months with and without the mirrors -- average mpg with the mirrors was around 49.7, without the mirrors mpg was around 52.0.

Your not the only one. I like the stock mirrors just fine. you do need to get used to them. I sometimes have to lift my elbows to see, but its no big deal. I don't like the look of two sets of mirrors. besides you should look ahead when riding. LOL

bobbobtar

RT Mirrors Solved

Another choice would be Yamaha Zuma mirrors($12 each) and bottom stems from a Ram mount that fit the BMW holes.I have maybe $40 invested,great mirrors and at $12 apiece not a concern about breaking them.