• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

RT Mirrors Solved

I added the spot mirrors, but found after packing a large H2W's bag I could not see behind me as well...
Adding the K mirrors took some visual getting used to, but they seem to be a stock look to me now.

Part of the problem for me may be that I always ride with the large topcase installed.....only time I have had it removed since I bought the bike is to take it in for service. Not sure how my vision would be without it. But I'm getting used to them too.......and liking what I see. (pun intended);)

Thanks for the part #s, Steve. $50 is a little easier to deal with than $85.

I've also been surprised by fast moving cars (and an occaional bike) that I didn't see passing me on one side or the other. I don't like that at all.

Mirrors are definitely going on my Christmas list.

YMMV. I don't necessarily dislike the RT mirrors. I can tell you, however, that I was often surprised by a fast-moving car I did not see approaching. Yesterday (first day with the new mirrors) I could see cars directly behind me in both mirrors, while I could not see them at all in either of the stock RT mirrors. But, as I said.......YMMV.

I should have added that 'to each his own'. I don't like them, but whatever works for the rider, that's the way to go! Nice post anyway.

As a 'new' RT owner, I'm still getting accustomed to the various differences of the RT - so perhaps I'm hyper-sensitive at this point. My observation has been that I can see with the stock RT mirrors, but I am well aware that I am not seeing all I use to see with the handle bar mounted mirrors of other bikes. I find it unnerving that I am compromising the ability to track and monitor traffic by using the limited depth sightlines of the stock mirrors. I also have noticed having to be much more intentional when stopped at a light to monitor traffic behind me (by looking down at the mirrors), where it seems with handle bar mounted rigs - the mirrors fall naturally into my field of range as I watch the light and crossing traffic, etc.

Thanks for sharing your discovery.

Had my RT six months now. I will be getting some extra mirrors for two reasons. First, I rode to Daytona in October, and could not pack gear on top of the sidecases because they blocked my rear sight picture with the stock mirrors. Second, and something that will really help is having them when stopped at a merging road. With full gear, and a FF helmet, it is difficult to see over my shoulder for traffic, it is almost like having to look directly behind me. I have to do this every day riding home from work, and it is uncomfortable. Having mirrors on the bars will allow me to cock the bars and look through them, then look quickly and merge instead of having to look over my shoulder constantly for a gap in traffic.

Just my 2 cents.

I added the spot mirrors, but found after packing a large H2W's bag I could not see behind me as well...

Same for me.

With a seat bag, the stock mirrors with spots worked OK for passing, but I couldn't see what was directly behind me, so I added the K12RS mirrors.

I read a post somewhere that someone had installed a set of K1200RS Sport mirrors, and they looked real nice. Post also had a pic, but I could not find them. Anyway, here is a pic of the mirror from A&S. I am going to get these as soon as my wallet catches up with my wants!:dance

http://www.ascycles.com/detail.aspx?ID=1792

It might have been my post and pictures. Here they are again.

00-Both.jpg

00-Left.jpg

00-Right.jpg

If you are going to carry gear strapped on top of your side cases, you WILL need these mirrors. The externally mounted gear will block your original RT mirrors.

Also, I noticed a consistant drop of about 1-3 MPG with the mirrors. I experimented for about two months with and without the mirrors -- average mpg with the mirrors was around 49.7, without the mirrors mpg was around 52.0.

I guess I'm the only one who doesn't think they look good. It just doesn't look right to me.

But, I also like the RT mirrors. I too added small blind spot circlular mirrors like in the picture and I can see everything I need to see, on the sides and behind. I think the stock mirrors are great.

Your not the only one. I like the stock mirrors just fine. you do need to get used to them. I sometimes have to lift my elbows to see, but its no big deal. I don't like the look of two sets of mirrors. besides you should look ahead when riding. LOL

Another choice would be Yamaha Zuma mirrors($12 each) and bottom stems from a Ram mount that fit the BMW holes.I have maybe $40 invested,great mirrors and at $12 apiece not a concern about breaking them.

Great Mod.

Nice addition.

On the "spaceship" I have mirrors on the back of the big lights. Not as good as the S mirrors I bet.

356216373_PeJzX-L.jpg

I'll second that

As a 'new' RT owner, I'm still getting accustomed to the various differences of the RT - so perhaps I'm hyper-sensitive at this point. My observation has been that I can see with the stock RT mirrors, but I am well aware that I am not seeing all I use to see with the handle bar mounted mirrors of other bikes. I find it unnerving that I am compromising the ability to track and monitor traffic by using the limited depth sightlines of the stock mirrors. I also have noticed having to be much more intentional when stopped at a light to monitor traffic behind me (by looking down at the mirrors), where it seems with handle bar mounted rigs - the mirrors fall naturally into my field of range as I watch the light and crossing traffic, etc. Thanks for sharing your discovery.

Stuck in an urban environment, I've got to ride the freeways for awhile to get out of town. Dodging road bogies takes lots of attention and sometimes you've got to monitor 4 or 5 lanes on your 6. Rear-enders are a real popular form way of greeting people in Houston, so it's always good to have some extra eyes to see a mixer forming 'round back. Once I saw the mirror mounting on the clutch and brake controls, I knew I wanted a way to add a pair of stem-mounted mirrors because, while I find the stock RT mirrors useful, they're inadequate compared to what I'm accustomed to. Thanks for the info -- you answered my question before I could articulate one.

Your not the only one. I like the stock mirrors just fine. you do need to get used to them. I sometimes have to lift my elbows to see, but its no big deal. I don't like the look of two sets of mirrors. besides you should look ahead when riding. LOL

Excellent! I'm not alone!

So I've noticed a lot of people saying things like when you strap bags on top of your panniers you can't see. HOLY CRAP! I've done 5 day trips and left my rear top case at home! What are you guys carrying! Even with a tent and sleeping bag I don't carry enough stuff to block my mirrors!

RobNye: Dang, that 'space ship' cracks me up. How many satellite channels do you get? Is it High Def? Is that a backup camera and monitor on that thing???

Don't take any of this as insults, I'm just poking fun. I'm a minimalist, partially due to the back packing I do. I carry very little on my back or on my bike. Again, to each his own, I don't pretend to be right for all, just for me.

So I've noticed a lot of people saying things like when you strap bags on top of your panniers you can't see. HOLY CRAP! I've done 5 day trips and left my rear top case at home! What are you guys carrying! Even with a tent and sleeping bag I don't carry enough stuff to block my mirrors!

RobNye: Dang, that 'space ship' cracks me up. How many satellite channels do you get? Is it High Def? Is that a backup camera and monitor on that thing???

Don't take any of this as insults, I'm just poking fun. I'm a minimalist, partially due to the back packing I do. I carry very little on my back or on my bike. Again, to each his own, I don't pretend to be right for all, just for me.

+1 :thumb

How much is too much?

What ever crumbles your cookie...:dunno

just sayin :blah

With a load of gear strapped to the back of the RT, the stock mirrors can be obscured if not totally blocked, depending on the amount of gear you are hauling. Thus it is understandable why folks are opting for more visibility.
Rob Nye's interplanetary vehicle is cool.

I ride two-up most of the time. I can usually get an excellent view of my wifes hands on her knees with the stock RT mirrors. If I lean out, I can see some of the lane behind me. YMMV, as I said.......but I couldn't be happier with the new mirrors.

No worries.

The bike was built with a very specific purpose in mind. It doesn't come out of the garage for much under a 2k weekend.

For that it is fantastic. For a trip to the coner, not so good. :)

Now my GSA is bone stock except for the GPS and V1.

A farkle for the Spaceship?

Well, there you go, Rob. Probably the only remaining farkle you don't have -- who'd a thunk it!

BTW, did you get drawn for the '09 IBR? I have seen a list on the MTF, but now I can't find it.

Well, among other things, my wife.

:p

(.... and before some wise-acker says it.... :fight NO, she wasn't strapped to the top of the side case!!!! )

:p

HOLY CRAP! I've done 5 day trips and left my rear top case at home! What are you guys carrying! Even with a tent and sleeping bag I don't carry enough stuff to block my mirrors!

An adequately stocked wine collection takes up a lot of room!:D :ha :rocker

Back