• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

RT Mirrors Solved

I haven't looked at posts on here for some time but thanks to you guys for letting me in on the mirror fix. I'm a big guy and it seems I can't see past myself with the RT mirros and it seems the ones posted wil do the trick for me. I about got all the bolt on extras I need ie: pegs lowered, seat redone by Rick Mayer, tank back, bar backs etc., etc. We all know that it takes some tweeking to make any bike OURS. Oh, and along with tweeking it takes a hefty credit card limit.

I got an RT12 with the RS rabbit ear rear view mirror.

When I bot a Ztenich windshield I was disappointed to find out that the Ztenick bumps into mirrors...

Does anyone know a good rear view miirror option for the 12RT that would allow the Ztenich shield to work?

R1220RT Mirrors

I put the K-Bike mirrors on my RT and put adjustable convex blind-spot mirrors on the OEM mirrors. Here's a photo from the rear:

DSC_5553.jpg

I have the OEM (in my case 2008) windshield. I don't know how the Z-Technik would work with this setup, but perhaps you can tell from the photo. The windshield was definitely in the highest postion when I took the photo (entering the Blue Ridge Parkway on a cold day).

I hope this is helpful. I could come up with the BMW part numbers if needed.

Spank me if I'm wrong, I love you all like brothers.
It doesn't matter to me whether my bike is loaded or not, mirrors obscured or not I always head check.
I ride too many different bikes with too many mirror configs to remember what is where and how close based on what I'm riding.
So I take a boo.

Spank me if I'm wrong, I love you all like brothers.
It doesn't matter to me whether my bike is loaded or not, mirrors obscured or not I always head check.
I ride too many different bikes with too many mirror configs to remember what is where and how close based on what I'm riding.
So I take a boo.

Hey you twin brother of a different mother... :wave

Everyone knows that wezuls in a mirror are closer than they appear!
And I ALMOST always do a head check...:doh

Hey you twin brother of a different mother... :wave

Everyone knows that wezuls in a mirror are closer than they appear!
And I ALMOST always do a head check...:doh

Hiya back atcha Steve,
With all due respect to the thread and the crew, nothing beats a head check.
But maybe that's just me.

You meant a headwork cannot be beat...you did not mean a head check...did you? :blush

You mean, turning around to see if there is anything behind you? As in not looking forward at the tons of traffic I always drive in?...seriously?

I am more along the line of considering an array of mirror hanging in a circular shape around my helmet so that I have a 360 degree peripheral...and a machine gun mounted on the handlebar to shoo-off line jumpers.

:nod

A head check before turning or changing lanes to check out your blind spot is one thing. Constantly turning your head to keep track of traffic conditions is another. Do you guys look over your shoulders 5-10 times a minute? That's about how often I flick my eyes toward my mirrors. When the guy in front of me swerves to reveal a road hazard in city traffic I want my eyes front and center, not looking over my shoulder.

:nod

A head check before turning or changing lanes to check out your blind spot is one thing. Constantly turning your head to keep track of traffic conditions is another. Do you guys look over your shoulders 5-10 times a minute? That's about how often I flick my eyes toward my mirrors. When the guy in front of me swerves to reveal a road hazard in city traffic I want my eyes front and center, not looking over my shoulder.

...tis my point!

further, if I lean forward slightly my angle of vision covers any remaining blind spots...which is not much in my mirrors...no need for the head-job afore mentioned :bikes

Likes Mirrors

This is a good option for those wanting a mirror option or addition but I am real happy with the stock R1200RT mirrors. I need to support that statement with 2 conditions:
1 - I came from the ST1100 & ST1300 group and those mirrors are pretty bad compared to the RT.
2 - I have no top box and seldem strap anything large to the back of the bike.

Something else I want to add... I had to adjust the RT mirrors many times before I got them where they offer me a very good view of what's behind me. I can't show you but I see only a small part of my hands on the TOP of the mirror view. In addition, I have them turned in and down to where I barely see the rear bags but do have an overlap of sorts i.e., I can move a little and see the left lane from the right mirror and vis versa. Not a lot but enough to ensure that I have no blind spot behind me. That being said I still get plenty of "Where did that car come from???" situations in my riding (just happened yesterday!).

BTW, I almost always do a head double check when changing lanes, doing u turns, etc.

tsp

At first, I as well was very sceptical about the look of additional mirrors on my RT. I checked a lot of pictures and decided that the K1200RS mirros do go pretty good with the overall design of the bike, they seem to "flow". Determined and thinking "what is there to loose, if I do not like them I take them off the bike and sell them again", I shopped for some of the K1200RS mirros and found a set on eBay, paid $90.00 including shipping for the set which I thought was very reasonable.

Ok, so now we have answered the question in regards to looks, the mirrors were received and installed. Today, for the first time I took the bike out with the new K1200RS mirros installed. I pointed the original RT fairing mirrors down and "outwards" in order to cover the blind spots with this "extra set of eyes".

Now the verdict: I am not sure how I was ever able to ride and enjoy the RT without those additional mirrors. Serious, it is amazing and to me, this is THE ONLY WAY to ride this bike anymore. With or without additional gear on the bags. The rearview is awesome and the new mirrors practically cover everything behind you.

Do I sill turn my head, YES, definitely, ALWAYS will. But, I will recommend additional mirros on an RT to anyone. Who does not like them or does not think so should try it out and then decide. To me, forget about the look, the quality as well as safety in riding has definitely improved.

At first, I as well was very sceptical about the look of additional mirrors on my RT. I checked a lot of pictures and decided that the K1200RS mirros do go pretty good with the overall design of the bike, they seem to "flow". Determined and thinking "what is there to loose, if I do not like them I take them off the bike and sell them again", I shopped for some of the K1200RS mirros and found a set on eBay, paid $90.00 including shipping for the set which I thought was very reasonable.

Ok, so now we have answered the question in regards to looks, the mirrors were received and installed. Today, for the first time I took the bike out with the new K1200RS mirros installed. I pointed the original RT fairing mirrors down and "outwards" in order to cover the blind spots with this "extra set of eyes".

Now the verdict: I am not sure how I was ever able to ride and enjoy the RT without those additional mirrors. Serious, it is amazing and to me, this is THE ONLY WAY to ride this bike anymore. With or without additional gear on the bags. The rearview is awesome and the new mirrors practically cover everything behind you.

Do I sill turn my head, YES, definitely, ALWAYS will. But, I will recommend additional mirros on an RT to anyone. Who does not like them or does not think so should try it out and then decide. To me, forget about the look, the quality as well as safety in riding has definitely improved.

Great post! Totally agree.

I use the additional mirrors to monitor what's happening around me, but always, always, always do a head check before changing my position on the roadway - for any reason.

That means whether a lane change, emergency maneuver, turn, ramp egress, etc. - solid head check first and always.

The additional mirrors also allow me to mount a convex mirror on the OEM units, which I was reluctant to do when they were my only source of rear vision (other than the head check).

Now, with two OEM mirrors, two convex mirrors, two additional mirrors and the omni-present head checks, I enjoy excellent situational awareness on the road! :thumb

It seems like if you need to do a 'HEAD CHECK" you do not understand your mirrors, because the mirrors allow you to see what you see with a head-check...probably more efficiently than a quick glance...

If you experiment when you are at a light, leaning forward and look into your mirror to see the angle of vision you gain by noting the parked cars around you, you beging to understand what I am talking about...

I dont mean to insult anyone...if you like the head check, by all means....

Haven't looked at my 10' RT (I'm at work)

.. but with the new fluid reservoirs, controls, etc... can you still mount optional mirrors???

..and where do most people add the convex mirrors on the OEM's? Top inside corner, or bottom outside?

(Sorry for slight hijack)

I too wanted higher mirrors on my 2006 RT but as reluctant to pay ~$200 for a set of mirrors. So I made 2 posts that fit into the mirror mounting holes. One end is tapped for an 8mm bolt and the other end is tapped for 10mm. I can now go buy an aftermarket accessory mirror set for less than $35 and mount them to the posts. While I too believe in always doing a head check before changing lanes or turning left I like to know what is going on behind me especially in traffic. The higher mirrors make this much easier.

Attachments

• IMG_0419.jpg
    IMG_0419.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 352
It seems like if you need to do a 'HEAD CHECK" you do not understand your mirrors, because the mirrors allow you to see what you see with a head-check...probably more efficiently than a quick glance...

If you experiment when you are at a light, leaning forward and look into your mirror to see the angle of vision you gain by noting the parked cars around you, you beging to understand what I am talking about...

I dont mean to insult anyone...if you like the head check, by all means....

Not insulted at all - this is just a discussion.

However, motorcycles have blind spots too.

I'd recommend a head check - every time you change your position on the roadway. :dunno

I glance quite a bit into the mirrors as part of the constant scan going on in my head. I have been surprised from fast approaching cars that were not there micro seconds before. When the speed limit is 80MPH and the rabbits are running about 90MPH, things change fast. Even at 65 things change quickly.
So, on high speed roadways maybe more than others...I always swing to my blind spot before a lane change. Even when I had my RT with the extra mirrors. Only takes one miss:doh

However, motorcycles have blind spots too.

I'd recommend a head check - every time you change your position on the roadway. :dunno

I have two sets of mirrors on my R12RT. I use them religously. However, I've been told following me is like watching Linda Blair with the way my head turns as I ride.

I have to admit that this is the first time I can recall anyone promote mirrors over head turns for any position change on a motorcycle.

Not saying you're wrong Nando - if that works for you, that's great. However, that sure doesn't work for me.

I have two sets of mirrors on my R12RT. I use them religously. However, I've been told following me is like watching Linda Blair with the way my head turns as I ride.

I have to admit that this is the first time I can recall anyone promote mirrors over head turns for any position change on a motorcycle.

Not saying you're wrong Nando - if that works for you, that's great. However, that sure doesn't work for me.

A head check SHOULD ALWAYS happen, regardless of how many mirrors are on the bike.

I am sorry, but how many times do you guys find yourselves in a bad spot/dangerous situation just because one of the Automobile Drivers did solely relay on their mirrors and NOT turning their heads?

-----> This should (in my opinion) answer the question!

I immigrated from Germany, where I obtained my class 1 (Motorcycle) License. It is more difficult to get a Driver's License in Germany as it is in California (Can't speak for the other states, but what takes place in CA is simply a joke) and I was ALWAYS tought to perform a proper Head Check.

I just recently took a Motorcycle Rider Course to stay on top of things and to learn new/additional safety techniques. A Head Check was a MUST in order to pass the course.

No further questions your honor!

Back