• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

SHARP releases ratings on 20 flip-up helmets

C

CO_G30

Thanks to Mike Werner and his site for this posting: LINK

LINK to SHARP

The British Government has released what I believe is the only independent lab tests of flip-up motorcycle helmets in the world. My present helmet, the KBC FFR sucks and I'll be replacing it soon.

Check out the links above and see how your helmet ranks, more to be added later apparently.

Interesting site.

I did a sort on just the "system" helmets - the flip ups.

The only helmet to get a "5" was the BMW System 5.

Several got a "4" including my Nolan N102

Interesting site.

I did a sort on just the "system" helmets - the flip ups.

The only helmet to get a "5" was the BMW System 5.

Several got a "4" including my Nolan N102

I believe the Caberg Trip also received 5 stars.

EDIT: Perhaps it's a moot point. I just googled them to find out about their helmets and apparently they are not importing to the US market at this time.

I believe the Caberg Trip also received 5 stars.

EDIT: Perhaps it's a moot point. I just googled them to find out about their helmets and apparently they are not importing to the US market at this time.

Neither is BMW!!

SNELL and the DOT helmet tests are different. I do not pretend to understand the fine points of the differences in the test procedures between the US standards and the European standards. Heck I don’t understand why a Snell only helmet is not legal on the street and a DOT only helmet is not allowed on most tracks.

The main reason for companies not submitting for the US test standards and importing mentioned in my past readings is the potential cost of litigation in this market.

Last edited:
Neither is BMW!!

HA! Thanks Paul. I searched the BMW site TWICE looking for the helmet! I have been planning on getting a new one (HJC Symax 2) this weekend and wanted to see how it stacked up. Of course, it's not on the list so far.

Seems I should wait a bit and get more info....

EDIT: Interesting. Just looking over the DOT tests - i choose randomly one of the helmets that failed. In reading the report, the ONLY reason it failed was because it failed some labeling requirements, date of manufacture, etc.

Thanks to Mike Werner and his site for this posting: LINK

LINK to SHARP

The British Government has released what I believe is the only independent lab tests of flip-up motorcycle helmets in the world. My present helmet, the KBC FFR sucks and I'll be replacing it soon.

Check out the links above and see how your helmet ranks, more to be added later apparently.

I did a face plant at 30MPH a couple of years ago and the KBC FFR worked just fine for me.

HJC Symax II

I bought an HJC Symax II a couple of weeks ago to replace my old Nolan N100. I'm 50/50 on the HJC after 2 weeks of mostly commuting use. My biggest gripe so far is face shield fogging - it fogs up the worst of any closed face lid I've ever had. And stays fogged up with the shield open to its minimum opening. And, that minimum opening is at least an inch open, meaning a lot of cold air on the face, but still does not clear the fogging. My opinion at this time - not a good cold weather helmet. Since it was in the 20's for my commute this AM, I wore the old Nolan.

Roy F

I have been planning on getting a new one (HJC Symax 2) this weekend and wanted to see how it stacked up. Of course, it's not on the list so far.

Seems I should wait a bit and get more info....

My understanding is that Snell will not approve ANY flip-front helmets due to concerns that the latch is the weak link in the system and will likely fail in a crash. I think this is a huge oversimplification.

I have used a Shoei Multitec since they were introduced 18 months ago. I love it. I do recommend a Pinlock face shield insert to prevent fogging. It's plenty cool in hot weather and plenty warm in cool weather. I ride in temps from the 20s to the 90s and have never been uncomfortable from the neck up.

Let's just hope it protects my noggin in the event of a crash.

Interesting site, but there's no comments why they liked or disliked the helmet. Or why they gave it the rating they did.

Interesting site, but there's no comments why they liked or disliked the helmet. Or why they gave it the rating they did.

True. But at least they did rate the helmets, with lots of supporting data (who can understand?). But the DOT site is hapless, IMO. No info, just a pass or fail, with no standards (again, who can understand). And a helmet might be excellent in impact testing, but fail due to labeling issues.

I was at least encouraged at the motivation for the SHARP study - that a seemingly large percentage of deaths were a result of head injuries, despite helmets. At least a study and education effort is being made to get data out there. I can only guess that by performing these tests, a greater understanding of impacts will be gained and minimum impact/crash standards will be raised.

Thanks Roy for the news on your helmet! I hate froggy helmets!!

My understanding is that Snell will not approve ANY flip-front helmets due to concerns that the latch is the weak link in the system and will likely fail in a crash. I think this is a huge oversimplification.
My understanding is the Snell tests are more aimed for racing, NASCAR, etc, where
the flip helmet would be unnecessary. DOT standards are lower, the idea that
some protection-standards are better than none. The convenience of a flip up make
it more likely I'll wear the helmet, which makes all the difference in the world.

insightful article

Perhaps many of you have already seen this; I found it to be quite insightful and thought provoking. It's a LONG article and it needs to be read in its entirety, as the Snell Foundation has a response to the study, and there is a response to that response. All you ever wanted to know about DOT vs Snell and other tests.

http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/gearbox/motorcycle_helmet_review/index.html

EDIT: This article is from 2005. One wonders if the dispute was ever resolved with Snell.

Snell does approve 3/4 helmets and full face helmets my best guess would be that a flip up must meet the full face standards and not the 3/4 helmet standards.

Not much substance on the survey.:dunno

Shoei isn't even mentioned and that company has a large European following.

It is disappointing that many helmets are not listed (none of the helmets I'm considering are listed). But that doesn't diminish the data or information. It's clear from the site's purpose and mission statement however, that this is simply the first batch of helmets that have been tested and published; the testing is ongoing.

You can sign up to get an alert when additional data is posted.

My understanding is that Snell will not approve ANY flip-front helmets due to concerns that the latch is the weak link in the system and will likely fail in a crash.

The last time I looked at this issue I found a quote from the Snell Foundation that said something to the effect of "if a vendor submits it for testing we will test it as a full coverage helmet.... so far no vendor has submitted a helmet for testing". Remember, Snell doesn't test a helmet unless someone pays them to do so.

It's been 3 or 4 years since I last checked. Perhaps things have changed. :dunno

// marc

As for Snell and DOT, from what I've read, once the helmet make and model gets certified, thats it for life.

The Euro certification is done on lot batches. If one fails, the whole lot is dumped.

There are some interesting test result differences between the Motorcyclist and the SHARP reports. I'd expect them to be similar.

Some are consistent between the two tests (like the AGV Ti-Tech doing well in both or the Suomy Spec 1R middle of the road in both), but these stuck out to me:

The Scorpion EXO-700 is bottom of the barrel in Motorcyclist and 4-stars in SHARP.
The Schuberth S1 did well in Motorcyclist and poorly in SHARP.
The Vemar VSR is middle of the road in Motorcyclist and poor in SHARP.

Back