Thread: LED light bulb replacement

flashman51

LED light bulb replacement

I commute about 500 miles a week. I was thinking about swapping out my brake light and turn signal bulbs with leds. Has anyone else done this?

Unfunded content provider tommcgee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by flashman51 View Post
    I commute about 500 miles a week. I was thinking about swapping out my brake light and turn signal bulbs with leds. Has anyone else done this?
    The brightest LEDS are the 5 watt Luxeons from superbrightleds.com. The best reason for doing it is to free up a bit of power, but you're not going to gain much. For the blinkers, you'll have to replace the flasher unit with one made specifically for LEDs.
    Salty Fog Rally 2007, 2009, 2011, 2012, 2014 And DRAT! Missed the last one in 2015!

-Tom (KA1TOX)

LED brake light

Hey Flashman:

There is another interesting reason for replacing the incandescant brake light.

The incandescant takes about 100mS to reach full brightness. The LED light reaches full brightness in less than 10mS.
    At 88 feet per second the following driver covers almost 8 feet in the 90mS time difference.

So it's possible the LEDs faster on-time could save a crash.
    Mike Marr
    1978 Yamaha XS750 (Needs rings), 1996 BMW R1100RS, 2004 Honda CRF230F

If anyone has any info on the parts needed for R1150R (flasher and bulbs) I'd appreciate the shortcut.