• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

LED light bulb replacement

F

flashman51

I commute about 500 miles a week. I was thinking about swapping out my brake light and turn signal bulbs with leds. Has anyone else done this?

I commute about 500 miles a week. I was thinking about swapping out my brake light and turn signal bulbs with leds. Has anyone else done this?

The brightest LEDS are the 5 watt Luxeons from superbrightleds.com. The best reason for doing it is to free up a bit of power, but you're not going to gain much. For the blinkers, you'll have to replace the flasher unit with one made specifically for LEDs.

LED brake light

Hey Flashman:

There is another interesting reason for replacing the incandescant brake light.

The incandescant takes about 100mS to reach full brightness. The LED light reaches full brightness in less than 10mS.
At 88 feet per second the following driver covers almost 8 feet in the 90mS time difference.

So it's possible the LEDs faster on-time could save a crash.

If anyone has any info on the parts needed for R1150R (flasher and bulbs) I'd appreciate the shortcut.

Back