Thread: Final Drive oil leak

DZIMBRIC

Final Drive oil leak

I'm getting prepped to leave for Spokane when I notice a black substance on the swingarm below the final drive boot. Take it in to my dealer for a warranty inspection and he found the seal was failing.
    I just talked to BradfordBenn to ask when he was leaving. His RT is in the shop for a leak in the final drive.

Dealer said they had used their last seal they had in stock on thursday.

Is anyone else experienceing premature seal failure at this location? Ive got 27K on my '04 and I think Brad has around 12k on his '02.

I was involved in a root cause analysis for oil leakage on our gearboxes several years ago and we found that premature seal failure was often contributed to the finish on the shaft.

The finish that we were getting after cutting the shaft on the lathe was too rough, it simply ate the seal up. The manufacturers of the seals were looking for a mirror finish or you will require some leakage to keep the seals lubricated.

Learning about sidecars JimBlalock's Avatar
    I had a final drive seal leak on my '02 R1150RS at about 10K. It was a warranty fix. The local shop seemed utterly unsurprised about it, so one would guess that they'd seen it several times before.

Angry

Been there. Leaked that.
    My '00 RT at 48K.
    My '03 GS at 18K.

Scootertrash
    I remember last year when I was getting ready for a late afternoon cruise. The temperature was about 74 degrees, sunny and a light breeze, when I noticed a tiny puddle underneath the rear tire.

My immediate response was "Oh F*ck!" After sweeping my hand under the final drive assembly and smelling the perfume of 90w gear oil, my next response was "Awwwwww F*****ck". My 2001 R1200C Phoenix had 6,800 miles on the odometer and a date with the BMW wrench on the following day.

The BMW wrench explained what happened and that it was warranty issue. I remembered a story I heard about an Inuit Indian (I guess calling them Eskimos isn't PC).

This Eskimo takes his BMW snowmobile to his local wrench. He explains his problems with snowmobile and the wrench without looking at the snowmobile said, "I see you blew a seal." The eskimo quickly wiping his mouth with his mittens said, "No I didn't."

Mr. Binky
    I have '03 RT and just noticed the black greasy crud at bottom of the boot. 17+K miles. Going in for 18k cash extraction soon. Will keep it filled 'til then. Kind of like old Triumphs and dare I say...? No, I'm from WI.
    "If it isn't leaking oil, it probably doesn't have any"
    Cheese Days happens in even numbered years

DZIMBRIC

Warranty issue

Your seal should be replaced under warranty. This seems common and didn't even cause the guys in my shop to blink.

Check out this link for a real nightmare.
    http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47616

Thats a brand spanking new 1200GS.

Angry

Seal leaks in a BMW! No WAY, they NEVER have any leaks, or problems! Are you sure it aint a Harley?

Actually, my 02 RT is leaking severely from the rear, and that is just one of the MANY problems I have had with this BMW (my prior 96 model RT was bulletproof!). With NO THANKS given to BMW NA in taking care of my RT's constant electrical and now mechanical problems (Tranny slips severely and has been addressed by varying BMW dealers before), I have now been prompted to seek other manufacturers products.

Look out for a slightly used 02 RT to hit the market as soon as I can get my dealer to replace, what Doug at the rally explained to me to be, the rear transmision seal, pivot bearing seals, and possibly other problems.

DZIMBRIC

tranny slippasge

What is behind the tranny slippage. Would someone please educate theis poor SOB.
    If everything is gear driven then what is there to slip besies the clutch and pressure plate assembly?

Re: tranny slippasge

Originally posted by dzimbric
    What is behind the tranny slippage. Would someone please educate theis poor SOB.
    If everything is gear driven then what is there to slip besies the clutch and pressure plate assembly?
    Many of us are having problems with the transmission engaging in and/or staying engaged in a perspective gear. Upon either clunking or thunking the chosen gear in place (often resulting in a gear shift feel and indication) and then laying out the clutch, the chosen gear is in fact not engaged fully and/or at all which results in an immediate or sometimes delayed power transmission of the motorcycle. My dealer, as well as many other dealers I have utilized, have attempted to remedy this situation by adjusting the shift lever and/or slide dogs of the transmission. To my own peril, neither remedy has progressively lasted long enough to insure a trouble-free journey and to enhance my confidence in long distance and/or cross-country travels.

Along with the seal leakages, electrical shortages, and the transmission problems I have faced with my 02 RT, my dealer will have yet to try again to remedy these situation sans BMW NA assistance and with further costs to myself and/or to my dealer (yes, my dealer has eaten many a costs to help with my situation; they are truly top-class people!) and then I will put this motorcycle up for sale. I will say this, it is with great regret and discomfort for me to abandon BMW Motorcycles and I truly do not blame the dealer network for my action. The blame strictly rests with Customer service and treatment on a Corporate level and for that BMW should be ashamed.