• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Suitable top case for a 1984 R65

HERRBAYEMVAY

Lovin' my CLC!
Anyone out there have any suggestions for a top case that will mount on a luggage rack? I need to find one. My hard luggage is usually filled up with my art supplies and books for my classes, and since I ride my bike daily (no car) I need a little more room for rain gear and to stow my helmet. I've seen one in the JC Whitney catalog for about $80 but know nothing about it's construction or durability. I don't think BMW makes a top case for my bike, either. Any ideas?

Top cases make short wheelbase BMWs do really weird stuff. I would advise against adding one of those.

Dave,

Just as I suspected, GIVI makes not mention whatsoever on their website as to fitting any Airhead bike at all. You would think they would notice just how many Airhead bikes manufactured in the 70', 80' and 90's that are still in service that could be potential customers if they made fitting brackets to work on bikes like mine. Guess not, huh? Oh well..... Guess I'll keep looking. Thanks for the suggestion, though!

John

There was a company Five Star that made racks for GIVI luggage.
I have those racks on my R100R. A year or so ago I found them on line. I did a search today for five star, fivestar, five stars.
I don't think they are around any more.
Try www.happy-trail.com
I think they can make a rack.

This is a givi look alike, and it is very durable. Trunk

I will try to attach a photo of it. I believe the mount will bolt to your existing rack.

Attachments

• bike-with-topcase-case-side.jpg
    bike-with-topcase-case-side.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 495
I believe the top case you have is indeed one of the ones I was considering from JC Whitney. It may just end up as the one I get for my bike, too. I have a feeling that this may be my best option for adding a top case without going thru too much trouble. Thanks!

Gute Reisen!

John

A lot is going to depend on your rack and how securely it is mounted to the bike. Once I got the rack part fixed (I finally found a Reynolds for a decent price after years of looking and removed the stock rack), I just installed an 8-gallon Rubbermaid Action Packer to the rack. Sorry, no pictures, yet, but the topcase set me back about $20-$30 with mounting hardware and locks, holds a medium-sized full-face helmet, is completely waterproof, and has provisions for padlocks.

Back