• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

So You Served!!

USN - 1983 to 1987

Served aboard the USS Midway CV-41 in Yokosuka, Japan, then aboard the USS Stein FF-1065 in San Diego.

Please permit a dissenting voice. I enlisted into he Army in 1968 to avoid the possibility of being inducted into the Marines.

From the time I started at Ft Dix, NJ until I was realeased, the operative code was "FTA." Almost ALL of us hated the Army. The higher our educational level, the more we despised the Military. The only "pro-military" people we ran up against were (mostly) REMFS, Lifers and losers who couldn't make it outside in the "real World."

Now, it appears that all of the guys of that age were eager to join up, that we wanted to preserve your way of life and protect your right to vote. Nothing could be farther from the truth. We hated the War, we hated the Draft and we hated the Old Men who sent us to die for their fantasies. When I see a young person in the Military now, I just feel a sense of sorrow and loss. I respect them but I hope for so much MORE for them after the military.

A survey of returning Vietnam vets showed that we were split evenly on our opinon of the war. Half supported it and half did not.
It has helped me deal with it by reading about it. I have read accounts from US soldiers (we all have a story), South Vietnam soldiers, Viet Cong, NVA soldiers and civilians. There are also books on the history of Vietnam, the politics of both the US and the two Vietnams, how religion played a part, accounts from journalists covering the war and many many other things that shaped this tubulent time in our history.
I made it through the war, but had to deal with cancer that is linked to agent orange.

1972-75 5th Special Forces Group Airborne. A-Team Medic Drafted led to my current career as Nurse Anesthetist. Oldest son US Navy Orthopedic Surgeon in Guam. Other son with Navy Special Warfare Dam Neck Va. Several tours in sand box. Proud of both of them.

Proudly, I serve(d)

johnnywishbone - I was on the USS SPERRY (AS-12) at Ballast Point when the Turks were taking possession of the POMFRET. Small world eh?

With the exception of a two year period after I retired in 2001 I have worn three different blue government uniforms: US Navy from 1970 - 1974 (from 74-75 Navy Reserves), US Coast Guard from 1975 - 2001; and Bureau of Customs and Border Protection since 2004.

During the Navy Tour I served in the USS SPERRY, USS ENTERPRISE, AND the USS MIDWAY.

cwo2_tim.jpg

My Coast Guard duties took me from Washington, DC to San Francisco and Los Angeles; Key West to Cleveland; 3 different duty stations in Michigan; my retirement ceremony took place at the Coast Guard Yard in Baltimore, MD.

I went to Viet Nam onboard the MIDWAY from April 72 - March 73 and then was onboard her when we moved our homeport to Yokosuka, Japan and continued to patrol the Tonkin Gulf.

I would not want to change anything of my tours of duty; they are what made me what I am today.

thanks to all my brothers and sisters who were or all serving.

Last edited:
Royal Engineers (British Army) 1965-71
England, Germany, Singapore, Malaya, Thailand, Hong Kong.

Fire Fighter. 20 years.

Captains Darryl & Terry Cainey

Both Terry & I served in the Canadian Air Force Reserve
Myself 8 years, Terry retired after 17 years.

Attachments

• Captains Terry & Darryl Cainey.jpg
    Captains Terry & Darryl Cainey.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 239
10 yrs active duty US Air Force. 1 year Reserve. Now currently working on contracts for fighter aviation for USMC, USN, and USAF.

Retired!!

Army 1986 - 1992 (Active)
1988 Served in Korea
Army Reserve 1995-2008
1997 (Deployed to Germany in support of Operation Enduring Freedom)
2000 (Deployed to Bosnia)
2001 (Deployed to Kosovo)
2003 (Deployed to Iraq)
2007 (Deployed to Iraq)
Notice that I was out of the country more as a reservist than when I was active duty???
Military Police and Civil Affairs Sergeant

I served 7 years Regular Army, only regret in my life is getting out at the demand of my wife at the time.
She is long gone, should have listened to my First Sargent ,and told her to sit down and be quiet.
I had already been promoted to E-6 and enjoyed my Army life.

I am strongly considering applying for OTS and becoming a commissioned officer in the USAF. I have a degree in aerospace engineering, and those that I've talked to say that I should pursue being a pilot. If anyone has any tips/insight, feel free to let me know.

If you're on advrider, chime in on the discussion: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=713599

Do it! Your degree will help youon some of the basics and math of flying.. your mechanical inclinations and motorcyle riding will help you be a better pilot though.

i grew up with an Army Dad, he seemed to never be out of the Army even at home.
i jokingly tell folks i served 18 long years in my Dad's Own Army.

waking up every morning was like this:

he'd kick open the door, flash the lights on, and yell
"let's move it! hit the deck! feet on the floor! rise and shine!"

i'd be like "whoa dad, i'm 8 here, ok?" but it never changed, it's just how he woke us.

he died last year, at 85. he is buried at Arlington along with my Mom, and also his own parents (who have a GREAT spot up on the hill under a bunch of BIG trees). when my Mom died, he wore his Dress Blues to the funeral. well everything but the hat, which was by then was too big for him. the Army Chaplain walked in to address us all, give us a kind of briefing about the proceedings and stopped dead in his tracks when he saw the bank of ribbons on my dad's chest. he got everyone's attention and said, "this man has had a remarkable military career." and went about describing some of the high points, as shown by whatever ribbons and clusters my Dad wore, which the guy could read as if they were a book.

at his own funeral (full military honors with caisson, riderless horse, 21 gun salute and full band) as his career was being described, i found myself thinking that of all the people buried at Arlington, my own father's Army Service may just be among the most remarkable.

he served over 30 years. fought all of WWII in the Infantry and received a Battlefield Commission at about age 22. he also fought in Korea and did one tour of duty in Viet Nam. a soldier's soldier, he shunned OCS and wound up holding every single rank up to Full Colonel, EXCEPT (i believe) CWO which he bypassed when he got his Battlefield Commission. his Infantry Division was credited with firing THE last shot of WWII.

tho he was Infantry, he was also a Paratrooper and Jump Master. an Expert Marksman, he wound up training thousands of guys to shoot and handle their weapons. post WWII, he served alternately in the Guard and the Reserve, finally re-upping into the Regular Army sometime in the 50s.

he has over 25 medals and decorations, including some doubles. he is a member of the National Order of Battlefield Commissions, and out of all the decorations never applied for a Purple Heart, tho he was wounded at least twice that i am aware of. his Blue Rifleman's "bar" has both a wreath AND a star, which i guess is rare. when he went to the Infantry Museum in Ft Benning, they had a model like it hanging near the entrance, and my Dad remarked it was just like his. i guess one of the workers overheard him say that and went to bring the Museum Director down to see this guy. i thought it was great because my young nephew was there to see this... my nephew just thought of my Dad as his cranky old Grand Pa, so it did him some good to see how well respected my dad was among his peers, i think.

anyway, growing up with this guy wasn't always easy, sometimes he'd wake us up yelling in his sleep, as we crossed the country and stayed in motels- all of us in a single room. he was hard as nails and never did relax, even in his old age.
in reality i learned a LOT from him. a rock solid work ethic. that all people are the same and deserve to be treated equally. to always use "Sir" and "Ma'am" and "Please" and "Thank You". i gained his morals and standards. his dedication.
the list goes on. and on. heck i'm STILL discovering things i learned from him, i guess maybe it'll go on til i die, too.

anyways, thanks for indulging me. and to those who have served, and may be serving still,
THANK YOU. very much.
for doing what you do.
there are SO many people who will never understand or know.

With ALL Due Respect,
your friend,
Tom

Just Retired

Spend 31 years in the US Army and Army Reserve. Several combat tours and visits to lovely places throughout the world. Pilot, tanker, transportation, civil affairs, TASS, and others. Got to be commander at company, battalion twice, and brigade. Who'd of thought, I'd be the adult leadership.
Update. Retired after 33 years in 2011.

Last edited:
20 years 1 month and 7 days USAF Master Sergeant. Not that I was counting, but I was a little old school and did not see a need to ask my troops if my yelling at them hurt their feelings, when I was trying train them to stay alive... Now I have another 8 years of Federal Service for Veteran's Affairs, which means I have 12 years to go to double dip my retirement.

U.S. Army 1981-2003

Russian language interceptor to Airborne Brigade S-4. Active, Guard and Army Reserve at one time or the other. Thanks to all of us for what we did and didn't do.:clap

Back