• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

So You Served!!

Jim Ratliff:

I was at Craig, class 67F. We may have saluted in passing. It is remarkable how the world seems to shrink.

John

Coastie

Did 30 years with the Coast Guard, 75-05.

Dale Moore/cwoflyboy
97 RT-1100
Marianna, FL

20 years Army Military Police, 2 more as civilian after I retired. Proud to serve, but glad to retire! Drawing Social Security and still trying to "really" retire, but Wall Street won't let me!:gerg

served

US ARMY, drafted Apirl 1969, Fort Benning basic, RVN 1970, OV-1 tech operator mostly over the Ho Ming Trail. Discharged on return honorable.

R1150RT sold
R1200RT deer strike
R1200GS present ride

USArmy

June, 1969 to Feb. 1977

Learned to leave everything in the duffel bag 'cause the next transfer would be coming shortly. The next thing I learned was once in combat arms units, always in combat units.

Got stupid and asked for a transfer to Viet Nam. Got my wish and two weeks after being "in country" found out that what you read in the papers and real life are not the same. Sent back state-side two months early, "political liability", and now get comped. full medical for life.

In '77, figuring I don't drink enough alcohol and not being able to tolerate the stupidity anymore, turned in the uniform.

While I got to see and do alot that I would not have other wise...

Jim:
I did fly the T-38. We were the first class to get it. What a great experience. However, I imagine the "Lead Sled" was a very instructive aircraft.

John

U.S. Navy 1963 - 1988
Lots of great sea duty and some crappy shore duty.
Retired when they said I couldn't go to sea any more.

USAF 1979-1995
Took an early retirement that was offered in my career field during some military downsizing (thank you, Bill Clinton). Crew Chief the entire time, and worked on F-4, F-16 and F-117A aircraft. Stationed at Nellis (twice), Shaw (twice), Kunsan AB, MacDill. Work for an aircraft manufacturer in Savannah now as a Technical Writer.

USAF Active Duty 8 Years - August 1994 - October 2002
2 Years RAF Mildnehall, UK - February 1995 - February 1997
6 Years McGuire AFB, NJ - February 1997 - October 2002 (most of this was split between UAE, QATAR, Kuwait, and Bahrain).

Operations Southern Watch, Enduring Freedom, etc... blah blah

2A6X5 - Aircraft Hydraulic Systems with an In Flight Refueling identifier.

Exited @ E-5 Staff Sergeant

Mississippi Army National Guard
AVCRAD (Aviation Classification Repair Activity Depot)
Depot level repairs on all Army aircraft
Enlisted E8 / Supervisor
24 Years

OIF 06-07
First Sergeant
C-23 Sherpa Fixed Wing Company (My heroes)

Proud of every day served!

Aging and ailing, but hanging on!:usa

Jim

How can we get a newer Sherpa, we have 2 of the A mod, Smokejumper

United States Navy, May '73 - May '77. Submarine repair specialty.
Uss Howard W. Gilmore AS-16, isolated duty, Sardinia.
Uss Holland AS-32 Holy Loch Scotland. (Reward for the year on isolated duty)

USMC
Joined July of 83
Served 4 years, 2 months, and 27 days
Quantico, VA (Mainframe Ops School) 4034/4038
MCAS El Toro, CA
BSA Camp Wolfeboro Arnold, CA (ran the rifle range)
Camp Kinser, Okinawa Japan

I loved Okinawa, almost re-enlisted just to stay there.

Almost got called back for Gulf War I.

Military Service

USAF, March 1967 through December 1970. Stationed at Mather Air Force Base in California and Sangley Point Naval Air Station in the Phillipines.

US Navy June 68 to June 74

Nuke Electricians Mate aboard USS Lafayette SSBN 616 Gold Crew and USS Silversides SSN 679

USS Silversides

432722155_ATPLR-L.jpg

Pride Runs Deep:thumb

Please permit a dissenting voice. I enlisted into he Army in 1968 to avoid the possibility of being inducted into the Marines.

From the time I started at Ft Dix, NJ until I was realeased, the operative code was "FTA." Almost ALL of us hated the Army. The higher our educational level, the more we despised the Military. The only "pro-military" people we ran up against were (mostly) REMFS, Lifers and losers who couldn't make it outside in the "real World."

Now, it appears that all of the guys of that age were eager to join up, that we wanted to preserve your way of life and protect your right to vote. Nothing could be farther from the truth. We hated the War, we hated the Draft and we hated the Old Men who sent us to die for their fantasies. When I see a young person in the Military now, I just feel a sense of sorrow and loss. I respect them but I hope for so much MORE for them after the military.

Please permit a dissenting voice. I enlisted into he Army in 1968 to avoid the possibility of being inducted into the Marines.

From the time I started at Ft Dix, NJ until I was realeased, the operative code was "FTA." Almost ALL of us hated the Army. The higher our educational level, the more we despised the Military. The only "pro-military" people we ran up against were (mostly) REMFS, Lifers and losers who couldn't make it outside in the "real World."

Now, it appears that all of the guys of that age were eager to join up, that we wanted to preserve your way of life and protect your right to vote. Nothing could be farther from the truth. We hated the War, we hated the Draft and we hated the Old Men who sent us to die for their fantasies. When I see a young person in the Military now, I just feel a sense of sorrow and loss. I respect them but I hope for so much MORE for them after the military.

You are certainly entitled to voice your opinion but I think you miss the mark attributing your views to others. Most others that I know that served in the same era as you had and have a more positive view of their service and its long term positive impact on their lives. I regret that your experiences seem to have left you with an apparently bitter view of military service. As to the young men and women who are currently choosing to serve, despite your claim to respect them, your implication that their service is less than they deserve sends a conflicting message.

USNR> USNR-R(TAR)> USN 1959>1987 I witnessed first hand the negative effects of Vietnam on Navy personnel from the late 60's thru President J. Carter. The election of Ronald Reagan revitalized our military and our country. I enjoyed my time in the Navy and worked with many intelligent hard working sailors. The young men and women that I see today are capable, smart, motivated, and deserving of the respect of all Americans.
Ride Safe :usa

Last edited:
Back