• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Aftermarket seat for 1200GS

B

boatride

Any suggestions on aftermarket seat for 1200gs? Russell Day Long seems great on the road but for off rode too bulky. Any recommendations for the Bill Mayer? Rick Mayer? Touratech seat? Thanks for any help. :usa

have had Corbins on two diff 1200 GS's..actually three as I transferred one recently...anyyways...If you are looking for "lightweight" Corbin may not be the ticket...they use an in house seatpan made of fiberglass and it is heavy...about half the mushiness of the stock saddle however and my particular bumm likes it a lot...a little wider than stock, but nothing like the Russels I have seen on 1100/1150's...there is ONE opinion:whistle

I have one:)

The Rocky"Bill"Mayer seat on my R1200GSA '07 model. Its a nice nice seat and so much better than stock, as you probably know already. Good folks in Ojai,CA. I rode in and had mine done, but I am closeby, in the same state. I recommend this, if you have options. I've had Russel, Corbin, Bill Mayer original and now a Rocky Seat and I will tell you exactly how I feel:). The Original Bill Mayer is still the BEST seat I have ever had built and I still have it on my R100/7, after 25+ years. It is soft and not like all of todays saddle makers, with their hard foam used today. The hard foam holds up better, they say and there has to be some truth to this, but my 25+ year old Mayer Seat is still fine and it has at least 275000 miles on it! I love my new Rocky Mayer Seat as its "shaped" to me, BUT the only complaint is the hard hard seat, like all the others out there. I may write him for his opinions on this and see if he has any options on this. One may be, go leather, vs vinyl! I got the vinyl cover for harsh GS use and its holding up fine, but leather may be softer on the tush:). I did have the leather seat option on my KLT1200 seat by Russel Seats and it seemed hard as well, so go figure? I am 56 in age and wish for a softer seat:). I would buy again from Rocky, as they did good work otherwise. Randy:usa :thumb

I've had numerous Corbin's on Harleys and a Ducati Monster that have held up quite well over years of use. However, their prices have escalated to where I find spending another hundred or so will get you into a custom seat rather than a seat-in-a-box. That being said, I have a Rich's (in Seattle) seat on my '07 1200GS and love it. It is leather covered and Rich uses his own seat foam plus a gel insert. I've done 500 mile days on it and couldn't be happier, especially when compared to the brick that came from the factory. I thought of a Mayer seat, but location for me dictated otherwise. Yeah, the seat is a bit big, but then again so is the bike. Note, too, that I don't find the seats size to be a hinderance when riding off-road.

Put a Sargeant on my 05 gs this summer and for off the shelf one size fits all,it is not too bad.I am going to have the piping taken off the seat this winter though as after about 600 miles it bothers me a bit. Ed

Price;

Rocky Mayer did my GSA 1200 seats(front/rear) for 505$, out the door in vinyl. Very nicely done and cheaper than many, perhaps not all. I know Russel and Corbin, both are very expensive, not even close to Rocky's price. I like the gel idea and mine may need the softer approach. Randy:thumb

Back