• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Oil Cooler Fan(s) R1200RT

T

TourNut

I am wanting to install an oil cooler fan on my new RT so I won't cook the engine in traffic jams. I bought a 7" DeRale , their smallest , was still too big by a inch and a half, so I am looking for a 5 - 5 1/2 " fan that has water resistant motor. It might even take a small dual fan behind the cooler core. A computer fan $12-$20 is a good size but motors are open to rain. The BMW police unit is about $262.00!
I bought a DeRale in-line oil hose thermostatic switch to turn it on when needed.
A motorcycle radiator fan might fit if was small enough.
Anybody know where you can get small 12 volt fans with waterproof motors ?

No replies to this at all? So only the police worry about their engines overheating in still air traffic ? I've found it only takes one episode of overheating to ruin an engine, it's already happened to a car I used to have.

No replies to this at all? So only the police worry about their engines overheating in still air traffic ? I've found it only takes one episode of overheating to ruin an engine, it's already happened to a car I used to have.

I did not ignore your post. I simply didn't respond because you weren't thrilled with the cost of the RT-P cooling fan system that BMW does offer.

I too nearly 'boiled' my oil on my R1200RT while being stuck in slow/stopped traffic in Milwaukee several summers ago on a scorching day. Watched the oil temp bars on my computer display climb towards the clouds.

Had my dealer in DePere (WI) install the all-weather cooling fan that I control with a waterproof switch. Have employed it several times and no longer have concerns about over-heating my air-cooled / oil cooled engine.

Good luck with your efforts for a less-expensive approach.

I too nearly 'boiled' my oil on my R1200RT while being stuck in slow/stopped traffic in Milwaukee several summers ago on a scorching day. Watched the oil temp bars on my computer display climb towards the clouds.

Same thing happened to me in Kansas City this summer on a 105* day.

When I did the research, I found a few "home brew" fan setups, but they all used computer fans.

I bought the RT-P fan and installed it myself.

I'm of the same opinion here. You can take time and effort to find a fan, that probably will be waterproof, probably will work OK, and will likely require effort to make it bolt up properly. Or, you can spend $300 and get the right fan, easy to hook up, and one that will last and perform as long as you own the bike. I'd go with the BMW setup and be done with it.

How about checking motorcycle salvage yards? (Not just BMWs).
Any fan you find there would be 12 volt, and weatherproof.
I'd look for them in late model Japanese sportbikes.
Also, Honda VFRs, ST1300s and RC51s all had small sideways mounted radiators that needed fans to ensure airflow at low speeds. One of those might be small enough for an oil cooler.
Air cooled Buell V twins also installed them behind the rear cylinder.

Happy hunting!

I didn't reply because people turn thier nose up at my computer fans on my R12RT. They work for me and were cheap.

Thank you all for your replies. To Bob1100RTC, I have been considering a Radio Shack Brushless motor computer fan they have , If I can figure out how to keep rain out of it, maybe a round Gore-tex motor winding membrane, front and back
of the motor itself . Have you had any water difficulty with your computer fan , how long has it lasted? Are the motor guts exposed ? To user "35634" (chaos), thanks for the tip on the site, I will look into that also, ( by the way , I also am from SW Ohio originally, Springdale, a northern burb of Cincinnati, in the same county.)
I may end up having to blow $262 - $300 for the BMW police unit , but I need a winter project to keep my mind off work, since I can't ride for another 6 months of winter!

You know, it is aggravating that we have to go through this at all with a ~$20 K motorcycle, considering with all the other technology that has gone into this engine design, it all might go south in one traffic jam because they omitted these fans for the public- intended production model ! You would think BMW would want to protect their image, not allowing their engines to cook!
The other road bikes, esp. Honda , (but not Harley) has always protected against overheating with fans, etc. They aren't that expensive or heavy to add to a bike!

Yes, I just did go to that Absolute Radiator website and ordered (2) - 4" puller fans, #30103018 , closed motors, 3.8 amps between the both of them. I picked them over the one larger one because of the wide RT cooler and the 4" at 1.89" weren't as deep/thick as to maybe interfere with the forks turn path. Cost =$129.68 incl. tax.

Off on a winter project !

I saw a little computer fan on a stalk at Best Buys, I wonder if I could water resistant the motors and have them hidden under the fairing and blow on the cylinders at the same time the oil cooler fans come on and .............?

Should you decide to just go with the RTP setup, here is what I found on the BMWsporttouring website. Link is below, the list is taken from the link in case you cannot get in. May go with the fan setup myself, just not sure which setup or ready to add it yet. Please post your setup choice and performance report. Inquiring minds will want to know.

http://bmwsporttouring.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=298975#Post298975

To add the R1200RT-P engine oil cooler fan to a standard R1200RT

46 63 7 690 869 Fan Shroud, qty 1
17 11 7 656 030 Fan, qty 1
07 11 9 931 026 Washer, qty 3
63 12 7 682 829 Bolt, qty 3
06 32 7 651 204 Bolt, qty 2
51 12 7 070 202 Clip Nut, qty 2

Interesting that BMW figures only the police get stuck in traffic. BTW, It's the same on oilhead RT's. So let's see since '95 so only 14 years. How much per bike did you say they saved?
robert

I ran the fans(2) in front of the oil cooler on my R1100RT for 2 years and have had them (3) behind the oil cooler on my R1200RT for a little over a year. 2 are the same fans from the 1100. No problems so far. But I did use fans with ball bearing motors.

I ran the fans(2) in front of the oil cooler on my R1100RT for 2 years and have had them (3) behind the oil cooler on my R1200RT for a little over a year. 2 are the same fans from the 1100. No problems so far. But I did use fans with ball bearing motors.

Are these fans typically thermostatically or manually controlled?

Thanks, Jim

Yes, I just did go to that Absolute Radiator website and ordered (2) - 4" puller fans, #30103018

Off on a winter project !

?

Congrats on your decision! Seems to me BMW prices accessories & parts by what some
people will pay rather than their actual worth. My bike has an embarrassing number
of parts from Home Depot and AutoZone on it. As for the BMW engineering, well,
if it was that great the part wouldn't of broken or been needed in the first place.

You ought to document your project and post it with pictures-I'm sure lots of
folks would be interested. Good luck! :thumb

The fans are manually controlled. I tapped into the wiring to my rear power socket to supply the B+ to the control side of the relay and the switch provides the Gnd. I have a led that lights when the fans run so I know they are on. I just turn them on when I'm stuck in traffic and I'm good to go.

The fans are manually controlled. I tapped into the wiring to my rear power socket to supply the B+ to the control side of the relay and the switch provides the Gnd. I have a led that lights when the fans run so I know they are on. I just turn them on when I'm stuck in traffic and I'm good to go.

Hey Bob - could you post a pic of your set up if you get a chance?

thx

dave

I Finally got the bracket and shrouds fabricated for the dual fan setup, the sub-assembly just bolts to the 2 existing flanges the Police oil cooler fan would. I've been a little slow because RT is in the basement and my drill press and other tools are in the Michigan COLD garage. I've also been taking my time, putting on accessories this winter.

Back