Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: K75 Lowering Options

Ok thanks. I have to replace my back tire next spring. I may go with both a front and rear. According to my handy dandy excel spreadsheet for tires, the diameter of the 80 series tire is just over 1" smaller resulting in a -3.91% difference. AT 60mph, the speedo will read 62.44 mph.
    Nik #140220 - '95 R1100RSL | '88 K75C | '77 R100RS | '06 DL650
    '96 R1100RS - R.I.P.
    Maine Airhead A/M
    Helmets don't save lives but loud pipes do?

Thanks for the info, guys.

The search is on for one that needs some TLC. Anything I should avoid? Topends on airheads are famously easy to correct--what kind of pain and costs am I looking at if heads, rings, cylinders need work?

Anyone have one w good engine, but crapped out other stuff, you'd be willing to part with?
    Rick Swauger

84 R65
    98 1100RT
    02 Kymco Cobra Racer

Hi, Rick,
    Yes, airhead top ends are easy to work on and not teriffically expensive. Not so with the K-bike stuff. If the bike needs serious engine work, it is normally much less expensive to replace the engine. Good used, low-mileage K75 engines should cost in the $300 range. Just the pistons (new) are much more than that!
    Ride Safe,
    Phil Marvin - El Paso, TX
    '94 K75A/3
    '95 K75RTP

How about p/n and purchase options for a shorter rear shock?
    Nik #140220 - '95 R1100RSL | '88 K75C | '77 R100RS | '06 DL650
    '96 R1100RS - R.I.P.
    Maine Airhead A/M
    Helmets don't save lives but loud pipes do?

I used a Progressive 412...

to lower my '92 K75RT I went with the Progressive 412, which lowers the rear by 3/4" and then slid up the fork tubes in the triple clamps by the same amount....really helped the handling too, in my opinion. I'm 5'8" and really needed the lowering. Here's a link to the Progressive product line....the small note at the bottom indicates the 3/4" shorter shock that you can order through your favorite retailer.
    http://www.progressivesuspension.com...38&modelID=390

Looking for direction

Quote Originally Posted by wndsrfr View Post
    to lower my '92 K75RT I went with the Progressive 412, which lowers the rear by 3/4" and then slid up the fork tubes in the triple clamps by the same amount....really helped the handling too, in my opinion. I'm 5'8" and really needed the lowering. Here's a link to the Progressive product line....the small note at the bottom indicates the 3/4" shorter shock that you can order through your favorite retailer.
    I have an inseam of 29.5 and had an incident where an elderly lady was backing into me at a stop sign, while on an incline, with gravel underneath from rain washoff... needless to say i tried scooting out of the way but my short legs just touched the road and the gravel was sliding...had to dive of the bike as she was about to tag me. She just missed the bike, I came up with a rock and she sped off. I love this bike but if it is unsafe for me to ride it then things have to change. If you are still on here I would love to know what you used so I might do the same! Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by rushtk View Post
    I have an inseam of 29.5 and had an incident where an elderly lady was backing into me at a stop sign, while on an incline, with gravel underneath from rain washoff... needless to say i tried scooting out of the way but my short legs just touched the road and the gravel was sliding...had to dive of the bike as she was about to tag me. She just missed the bike, I came up with a rock and she sped off. I love this bike but if it is unsafe for me to ride it then things have to change. If you are still on here I would love to know what you used so I might do the same! Thank you!
    The PO for my K75 did the same as wndsrfr recommended (13-inch Progressive shock). I have a 30-inch inseam and can easily flat-foot at stops, even with the standard seat. But, I find the rear shock to be harsh, and would prefer to have that extra 3/4-inch. When the time comes, I'll be going back to a standard length shock, and probably look to a different model/brand to get more refinement in the ride. You might consider reaching out to Ted Porter to see what he would recommend.
    Last edited by jad01; 05-10-2021 at 03:10 PM. Reason: add URL
    Jim (MOA 83200)
    '78 R80/7 (Anastasia) and '84 R100RS (The Millennium Falcon), '86 K75C (Icy Hot)
    '90 and '93 Mazda Miatas (Jelly Bean and Red Hot), '97 Nissan XE PU (Mighty Mouse)
    '96 Giant Upland (big Kendas, baby!)

Thank you. Sorry for late response. I really don't want to have to change bikes. Due to injuries from Iraq I am kinda weak and feel that if I were able to flat foot it I would have more confidence then just standing on my left leg which is the worse one. Thanks again!

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Did it hurt handling??

Quote Originally Posted by wndsrfr View Post
    I am 5'8 with a 29.5' inseam and due to boo boos from Iraq my legs are not as strong as they used to be and left legging it does not give me confidence! I was behind an elderly lady at a stop sign...on a slight incline...with gravel! She puts it in reverse and I look like Fred Flintstone with my feet shuffling on the gravel. I dove off and rolled grabbing a rock and she speeds off, 2 guys in a Uhaul helped me get the brick up. Broke mirror and back turn signal. Thanks to Thom for the parts. Sorry...long story..just need her shorter for confidence.

Thank you. Sorry for late response. I really don't want to have to change bikes. Due to injuries from Iraq I am kinda weak and feel that if I were able to flat foot it I would have more confidence then just standing on my left leg which is the worse one. Thanks again!

No worries!

I am 5'8 with a 29.5' inseam and due to boo boos from Iraq my legs are not as strong as they used to be and left legging it does not give me confidence! I was behind an elderly lady at a stop sign...on a slight incline...with gravel! She puts it in reverse and I look like Fred Flintstone with my feet shuffling on the gravel. I dove off and rolled grabbing a rock and she speeds off, 2 guys in a Uhaul helped me get the brick up. Broke mirror and back turn signal. Thanks to Thom for the parts. Sorry...long story..just need her shorter for confidence.
    I can't see that it would hurt the handling any if you also lower the forks comparatively. My K75 was set up like this by the prior owner, so I can't say for sure (other than the shock being somewhat harsh). That's why I'd recommend giving Ted Porter a call to discuss. I'm sure there is a better option that the Progressive for this application.
    Jim (MOA 83200)
    '78 R80/7 (Anastasia) and '84 R100RS (The Millennium Falcon), '86 K75C (Icy Hot)
    '90 and '93 Mazda Miatas (Jelly Bean and Red Hot), '97 Nissan XE PU (Mighty Mouse)
    '96 Giant Upland (big Kendas, baby!)

Thank you for your help!! This is my girl. Whenever I'm not hurting to bad I go out and it helps the mind n soul!