• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

K75 Lowering Options

Looking for direction

to lower my '92 K75RT I went with the Progressive 412, which lowers the rear by 3/4" and then slid up the fork tubes in the triple clamps by the same amount....really helped the handling too, in my opinion. I'm 5'8" and really needed the lowering. Here's a link to the Progressive product line....the small note at the bottom indicates the 3/4" shorter shock that you can order through your favorite retailer.
http://www.progressivesuspension.com/prodSearchResults.aspx?yearID=1992&makeID=38&modelID=390

I have an inseam of 29.5 and had an incident where an elderly lady was backing into me at a stop sign, while on an incline, with gravel underneath from rain washoff... needless to say i tried scooting out of the way but my short legs just touched the road and the gravel was sliding...had to dive of the bike as she was about to tag me. She just missed the bike, I came up with a rock and she sped off. I love this bike but if it is unsafe for me to ride it then things have to change. If you are still on here I would love to know what you used so I might do the same! Thank you!

I have an inseam of 29.5 and had an incident where an elderly lady was backing into me at a stop sign, while on an incline, with gravel underneath from rain washoff... needless to say i tried scooting out of the way but my short legs just touched the road and the gravel was sliding...had to dive of the bike as she was about to tag me. She just missed the bike, I came up with a rock and she sped off. I love this bike but if it is unsafe for me to ride it then things have to change. If you are still on here I would love to know what you used so I might do the same! Thank you!

The PO for my K75 did the same as wndsrfr recommended (13-inch Progressive shock). I have a 30-inch inseam and can easily flat-foot at stops, even with the standard seat. But, I find the rear shock to be harsh, and would prefer to have that extra 3/4-inch. When the time comes, I'll be going back to a standard length shock, and probably look to a different model/brand to get more refinement in the ride. You might consider reaching out to Ted Porter to see what he would recommend.

Last edited:
Thank you. Sorry for late response. I really don't want to have to change bikes. Due to injuries from Iraq I am kinda weak and feel that if I were able to flat foot it I would have more confidence then just standing on my left leg which is the worse one. Thanks again!

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Did it hurt handling??

to lower my '92 K75RT I went with the Progressive 412, which lowers the rear by 3/4" and then slid up the fork tubes in the triple clamps by the same amount....really helped the handling too, in my opinion. I'm 5'8" and really needed the lowering. Here's a link to the Progressive product line....the small note at the bottom indicates the 3/4" shorter shock that you can order through your favorite retailer.
http://www.progressivesuspension.com/prodSearchResults.aspx?yearID=1992&makeID=38&modelID=390

I am 5'8 with a 29.5' inseam and due to boo boos from Iraq my legs are not as strong as they used to be and left legging it does not give me confidence! I was behind an elderly lady at a stop sign...on a slight incline...with gravel! She puts it in reverse and I look like Fred Flintstone with my feet shuffling on the gravel. I dove off and rolled grabbing a rock and she speeds off, 2 guys in a Uhaul helped me get the brick up. Broke mirror and back turn signal. Thanks to Thom for the parts. Sorry...long story..just need her shorter for confidence.

Thank you. Sorry for late response. I really don't want to have to change bikes. Due to injuries from Iraq I am kinda weak and feel that if I were able to flat foot it I would have more confidence then just standing on my left leg which is the worse one. Thanks again!

No worries!

I am 5'8 with a 29.5' inseam and due to boo boos from Iraq my legs are not as strong as they used to be and left legging it does not give me confidence! I was behind an elderly lady at a stop sign...on a slight incline...with gravel! She puts it in reverse and I look like Fred Flintstone with my feet shuffling on the gravel. I dove off and rolled grabbing a rock and she speeds off, 2 guys in a Uhaul helped me get the brick up. Broke mirror and back turn signal. Thanks to Thom for the parts. Sorry...long story..just need her shorter for confidence.

I can't see that it would hurt the handling any if you also lower the forks comparatively. My K75 was set up like this by the prior owner, so I can't say for sure (other than the shock being somewhat harsh). That's why I'd recommend giving Ted Porter a call to discuss. I'm sure there is a better option that the Progressive for this application.

Thank you for your help!! This is my girl. Whenever I'm not hurting to bad I go out and it helps the mind n soul!
5725a066b45f86af7fa3de6161c4e3c2.jpg
346bf56351d9486404af8b191c2ebe02.jpg
af35986ffa54dc573ec14bef69bc53c7.jpg

Back