• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

2009 RA Rally Canaan Valley, WV

osbornk

Old man in the mountains
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

From our Rally Chair, Gordan Boltz:

Our 2009 Rally is going to be in the same locale as 2004. That is Canaan Valley, WV. The dates are July 23 to July 26, 2009.

We have picked this date in conjunction with BMW MOA. Our rallies will be on consecutive weekends, and we will give some sort of recognition to those that attend both.

We picked the location because it is close to the East Coast (an easy and inexpensive trip for many), yet offers great riding and facilities.

We estimate (based on pre-registrations) that in 2004 we would have had around 3000 attendees. Then we were hit by Hurricane Ivan. Homes were destroyed in FL and the south. Roads were closed in NC. Rivers went 9 feet over flood stage in Pittsburgh and Charleston, WV. Buckets of rain fell the entire rally.

Anyway, we felt the rally would have been the best one, and best attended, the RA ever had to that point if we hadn't been snake bitten by the weather.

So we thought it was worth trying again at the same place. We are working hard to make this the best RA rally ever.

We are renting the entire State Park, resort, ski lift, etc. The resort has upgraded its facilities and built a new pavilion. The local chamber of commerce has working on activities for us.

We are hoping to expand our off-road activities since that seems to be a direction BMW is going. We expect to have a dirt bike school, as well as both MSF classes and a Lee Parks "Total Control School"

BMW Classic (formerly BMW Mobile Tradition) has said they will send someone to our rally. Jeff Yost (of BMW Vintage Club) is trying to get together a vintage exhibit/show etc.

Bmwmoa & Bmwra

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

From our Rally Chair, Gordan Boltz:

Our 2009 Rally is going to be in the same locale as 2004. That is Canaan Valley, WV. The dates are July 23 to July 26, 2009.

We have picked this date in conjunction with BMW MOA. Our rallies will be on consecutive weekends, and we will give some sort of recognition to those that attend both.

We picked the location because it is close to the East Coast (an easy and inexpensive trip for many), yet offers great riding and facilities.

We estimate (based on pre-registrations) that in 2004 we would have had around 3000 attendees. Then we were hit by Hurricane Ivan. Homes were destroyed in FL and the south. Roads were closed in NC. Rivers went 9 feet over flood stage in Pittsburgh and Charleston, WV. Buckets of rain fell the entire rally.

Anyway, we felt the rally would have been the best one, and best attended, the RA ever had to that point if we hadn't been snake bitten by the weather.

So we thought it was worth trying again at the same place. We are working hard to make this the best RA rally ever.

We are renting the entire State Park, resort, ski lift, etc. The resort has upgraded its facilities and built a new pavilion. The local chamber of commerce has working on activities for us.

We are hoping to expand our off-road activities since that seems to be a direction BMW is going. We expect to have a dirt bike school, as well as both MSF classes and a Lee Parks "Total Control School"

BMW Classic (formerly BMW Mobile Tradition) has said they will send someone to our rally. Jeff Yost (of BMW Vintage Club) is trying to get together a vintage exhibit/show etc.

Gordan,
Count me in! I'll be at both the MOA & RA rallies (back-to-back in July 2009).
Rich

scheduling conflicts suck!

Although I love the RA rallies, I probably will not attend this year. The RA rally has been scheduled for the same weekend as the AMA Vintages Days which I regularly attend.

Due to limited vacation time, I cannot attend rallies on back to back weekends.

If I attend the RA rally I cannot attend the MOA rally or Vintage Days. I can however attend the MOA rally and then attend Vintage Days because the Mid-Ohio racetrack is only two hours from my house.

Although I love the RA rallies, I probably will not attend this year. The RA rally has been scheduled for the same weekend as the AMA Vintages Days which I regularly attend.

Due to limited vacation time, I cannot attend rallies on back to back weekends.

If I attend the RA rally I cannot attend the MOA rally or Vintage Days. I can however attend the MOA rally and then attend Vintage Days because the Mid-Ohio racetrack is only two hours from my house.

So Beemerphile, did you like molest a BMW at sometime..Just asking

RV to Canaan Valley, will there be spaces, do we

go throught the park or you people............................?:bikes

RV Camping at Canaan Valley State Park

go throught the park or you people............................?:bikes

I have camped at Canaan Valley State Park for a COG National Rally (where COG=Kawasaki Motorccyle Concours Owners Group). There is excellent camping for RVs, trailers, & motorhomes etc at the Canaan Valley State Park campground. Unfortunately, the tent camping is not as good, unless the Park personnel allow us to camp on the vast treed/shaded lawns surrounding (& in) the campground. The camp sites are asphalt & set up for RVs, trailers, & motorhomes ... not tent camping. The park personnel would not allow us COGGERS to move any of the many detached picnic tables to level ground under trees on the beautiful manicured lawns. The asphalt campsites (set up for vehicles, not tents) had little level places to stake down tents. Many tents got washed-out during afternoon rains. However, overall, the Canaan Valley State Park is absolutely beautiful and full of wild (strongly protected) game.

If you need additional information about Canaan Valley State Park, email me:

wackettrw@yahoo.com

Please NOTE, I have nothing to do with the BMWRA National Rally, other than I will be in attendance, like I was at the Biltmore Estates in North Carolina.

Richard (2004 R1150RT)

Ra

Definitely in. Looking forward to some moonshine and roadkill......:laugh

Breeze

Definitely in. Looking forward to some moonshine and roadkill......:laugh

Breeze

No shortage of roadkill, but the "shine" might be a little hard to find these days. I don't run in those circles anymore, but I know it has been quite a while since I've seen any authentic moonshine. My guess is that if you were to find the "right " people, a jug would be fairly expensive.

I was riding a bit further south in WV last fall, camping for a few nights at Boyer Station.

I stopped at a little market to pick up some beer and provisions for the night. Having struck up a conversation with the shop owner about beer, food, riding the talk turned to shine.

I left with a 24 ounce foam coffee cup full of home made, from out back in the shed! The campgroun owered confirmed that it would good, and safe!

I didn't drink much but it was smooth...........we shared it around the campfire that night. What was left ate the foam cup by morning.

jason

I didn't drink much but it was smooth...........we shared it around the campfire that night. What was left ate the foam cup by morning.

jason

That's always been my benchmark for "smooth."

...the ability to eat a foam cup by morning!:D

I was riding a bit further south in WV last fall, camping for a few nights at Boyer Station.

I stopped at a little market to pick up some beer and provisions for the night. Having struck up a conversation with the shop owner about beer, food, riding the talk turned to shine.

I left with a 24 ounce foam coffee cup full of home made, from out back in the shed! The campgroun owered confirmed that it would good, and safe!

jason

I purchased some legal shine when I was there in 04. Proberly not as smooth as the real stuff you had. I still have a little left, so I will have to give it the overnight foam cup test soon. If I recall correctly it was 2 months old when I purchased it. Not fresh like the stuff you had.

I purchased some legal shine when I was there in 04. Proberly not as smooth as the real stuff you had. I still have a little left, so I will have to give it the overnight foam cup test soon. If I recall correctly it was 2 months old when I purchased it. Not fresh like the stuff you had.

pour a bit into a bottle cap and light it. If it has yellow in the flame . . . do not drink. (lead)

Last day to register at reduced rate!

Just wanted to let y'all know that (I think) today is the last day for early registration. AFAIK it ends tonight; you'll be able to sign up in Gray but not get the discount (but it'll still be simpler at the registration tent).

I'm not on the registration staff so I don't know the exact details.

Signup is, of course, accessed at www.bmwra.org/rally/

I plan on going to Vintage Days, I've always enjoyed the RA events, but Vintage Days is something not to be missed. I can understand the concept of tying the RA to the MOA, and that might work out well for some, but for me, I'll take Vintage Days.

Just my humble thoughts!

Steve

I too like Vintage Days but, look forward to the dual sport rides in WV and the lazy atmosphere of hanging out at a rally.:buds:beer:dance

PAUL and I will be there after a strenuous ride from Gray, TN - the LONG way!

:brad

Voni
sMiling

Back