• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Questions regarding TCX (Oxtar) Infinity boots

mistercindy

After much reading I've decided that my next riding boots will be TCX Infinity's. My dealership is ordering a 45 and a 46 so I can try on both to see which fits better (damn nice of them, IMHO). I have a pair of the Oxtar Air Techs and have been pleased with them. A couple of years ago the when the Infinity was $100 cheaper than the Santiago (or Savannahs before that), the decision would have been easier. But since TCX has decided to price the Infinity with the BMW Santiagos, I have some questions that all deal with the Infinity's longevity. I hope to wear these for a long time.
  • How long do the soles last? My only disappointment with the Air Techs is that after 15,000 miles the sole appears to wearing quickly. Pictures of the Infinities show that TCX uses the same sole on them as they use for the Air Techs. Frankly, I don't want a $350+ boot with a sole that wears that fast, UNLESS....
  • They be re-soled. Can the Infinity be resoled? Locally?
  • How sturdy are the buckles? I've heard of them breaking.
  • If the buckle breaks can a local guy fix or replace it? Or perhaps sew on a velcro replacement?
I'd appreciate any other thoughts.

BTW, others in the running that I decided not to get:
  • BMW Santiago. I don't want the steel toe on the Santiago, although, they can be easily removed. The Santiago boots were runner-up to the Infinities. The only real difference is that I can try on a pair of 45s and 46s next to each other in the same sitting. They appear to be virtually identical otherwise (check out this ADVrider thread comparing the Infinity to the Santiago's predecessor, the Savannah).
  • Vendramini Marathons. I'd like to try the Marathons or Marathon Steels, but I've never had anybody from BikerWorldUSA answer their phone or return an email. That, and I'm nervous about buying a boot that I can't try on. Particularly if their staff can't be reached.
  • Frey Daytona's Trans Open GTX. I'd like to try these. I like their 37cm (14.5") height (Infinities are 14"). But again, I can't try them on, and I'd rather not lay down money for shipping when I might not like the boots. That, and they're $100 more than either the Infinity or the Santiago. BTW, the people at Helimot are nice and responsive.
  • Sidi generally. I never considered Sidi as everything they make has lorica. I've had one pair of Sidi's with lorica and, for me anyway, it doesn't breathe well at all. After a few hours I'd remove the boots and my feet would look prunish as if they'd been soaking in a tub for hours.
  • Aerostich. I wish Aerostich would design specs to update their boots, although being able to re-sole them is a big deal. I also want gore-tex lining. And they have no armor at all. For that matter, Aerostich ought to update a lot of their high quality/highly outdated apparel. That, and again, I can't try on a pair before buying them.
  • Rev'it Apaches. The Apache is very appealing. I tried them on at Moto Liberty in Dallas. Rev'it makes great stuff and the Apache is no exception. But, there were two issues. First, I want a taller boot. I measured the Apaches at 12" (same as my aging and comfy BMW Contours), and the Infinity is 14". Secondly, I tried on a pair of Apaches and they aren't made for big calves. I'd have problems closing the calf of the boot with pants tucked in them.

Last edited:
I've got a pair of Infinities and they're a great boot.

They've got about 15,000 km on them as I wear them primarily for dual sport riding. They show practically no wear at all, even from steel cleated pegs.

The buckles are some sort of very sturdy (think milk crate material) plastic, so I'm not too worried about breakage. I think the biggest problem in getting them re-soled would be compromising the integrity of the Gore-Tex liner.

A good shoe repair place should be able to look after any of the things you're asking about.

• Aerostich. I wish Aerostich would design specs to update their boots, although being able to re-sole them is a big deal. I also want gore-tex lining. And they have no armor at all. For that matter, Aerostich ought to update a lot of their high quality/highly outdated apparel. That, and again, I can't try on a pair before buying them.

Thoughts:

You said it. With respect to Aerostich (which I respect) There is a balance to be found in "if it ain't broke don't fix it" and "relentless pursuit of perfection". Stich quality is excellent. Features should be reviewed and updated.

As for soles, from what I can see the from reviews linked in from the Aerostich website:
http://www.motorcycle.com/products/battle-ready-aerostich-combat-tour-boots-3882.html
The soles are fully replaceable.

Many soles these days are bonded directly to the boot portion. Once the soles are done, so are the boots. This goes against my beliefs. Pay good money for shoes once and resole as need be. We don't throw away our bikes or cars when the tires wear out. Anyhow, starting to digress. The Stich Combats seems to do the trick except: not Goretex waterproof, I would suggest a redesign to have better toe/leading edge protection and perhaps some subtle armour as you suggest such as heel and ankle bone caps.
These boots would last nearly forever if you can get by with some of the shortcoming compared to the list you noted above.

However, what you didn't note was the type of riding you expect to primarily do:
. Dual sport riding for an hour or two? Then breathability may not be an issue.
. Caf?®-caf?® riding? City boots then.
. Iron Butt? Get a good street oriented, goretex lined boot
. "Long Way Round" riding.....then the above mentioned list would be it.

I have had a few pairs of BMW street/long haul on highway oriented boots. Excellent. Never had wet feet once either from hours in monsoon rains or the internal tropical micro-climate developing inside the boot on hot days behind those big 1150 cylinder heads.

Let us know where you end up.

Also

Forgot to chime in on:
mail order.
I will never order mail order again. Maybe I am just too fussy but I need to see what I am getting and make sure it fits. Sure you can ship things back and forth, but that adds up.
I certainly would not order boots by mail order.
I have a few riding mates who have ordered boots and were successful. Myself, I just won't any more. Too much potential hassle.

I'm very pleased with my Alpinestars Gortex boots. They are waterproof and were comfortable right out of the box. They aren't available any longer with the "Effex" model taking its place in the Alpinestars boot lineup. Noticed this season that the sole on the left boot was wearing through due to the rotation of getting on/off the bike. ('01 R1100S) I contacted Alpinestars in CA, they gave me a product return number. Alpinestars will re-sole and replace the hook & loop closure material that is getting tired for $70. That's a pretty good deal considering the boots cost me $220. They are 4 seasons old, with around 25,000 miles on them. The uppers are in great shape still.
D Man

Back