• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

What are you listening to today?

Whoa!!! That 'round the world music clip of "The Weight" has sent me on a real exploration of many of the artists featured in that wonderful video. These two gals in Larkin Poe (named for their great-great-grandfather) are one example. I really liked this cover of an old Sam Cooke song -

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/FQg1z3mKqHE" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" allowfullscreen></iframe>

This is a group of high school students in Spain coached by a great teacher, Joan Chamorro. Pretty nice!

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/iLTP98kZpd0" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" allowfullscreen></iframe>

20 Feet from Stardom

20 Feet from Stardom

I have always realized, appreciated and recognized what the background singers added to music that I happened to be listening to. I ran across a documentary on background singers and their importance today, playing on HBO.

They are the voices behind the greatest Rock, Pop and R&B hits of all time, but no one knows their names. Now in this award-winning documentary, director Morgan Neville shines the spotlight on the untold stories of such legendary background singers as Darlene Love, Merry Clayton, Lisa Fischer, Claudia Lennear, Judith Hill and more. These are the triumphs and heartbreaks of music's greatest unsung talents, featuring rare behind-the-scenes footage, vintage live performances, and interviews with superstars Bruce Springsteen, Sting, Mick Jagger, Stevie Wonder and Bette Midler.

Here is a featurette-

The whole documentary is around two hours old and well worth the time. Many of the songs that people of "our" age group were made great by these background singers.

The entire documentary is available through many of the streaming services.

OM

The dude on the electric guitar was excellent, but IMHO there is nothing that can really compare to hearing Bach's Toccata and Fugue in D minor played well on a large pipe organ. I think that it was at the Duke University Cathederal (a long time back) where I heard this. Talk about the hair on your neck, arms, and other places standing up. Yikes!!

This gal is pretty good, but even with great headphones, it doesn't really compare to the visceral sensation of the in-person experience from a real pipe organ....

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/erXG9vnN-GI" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" allowfullscreen></iframe>

This gal is pretty good, but even with great headphones, it doesn't really compare to the visceral sensation of the in-person experience from a real pipe organ....

Or any concert as I spent countless hours sitting in the wings on stage as my mom played for a major orchestra for 34 years. I also visited the Mozarteum in Salzburg where she continued her studies and looked her up in the yearbooks from the early 50s.

I have an intermittent connection in my wiring for some LED aux lights on my 92 K75S. I thought I'd fixed the issue by removing the posi-lock connections and using crimp / solder connections. Yet today the issue persists. Well it was such a nice day I went for a ride anyway on a different bike. I came home and put the K75S on the lift. I like to listen to music whilst I'm in the garage. My tablet and wireless speaker and lots of music on-line (in the cloud, although today it is cloudless with a beautiful blue sky!).

I put on an album (do we still call 'em that?) by Billy Bragg and Wilco called Mermaid Avenue. I know that I've listened to this before, but it has been a while. These are songs written some time back by Woody Gutherie. What a marvelous album! I got lots of stuff on the bike taken apart and cleaned - haven't found the loose connection, but I may save the rest of the trouble-shooting for a rainy day.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mermaid_Avenue

Here is a cut from Mermaid Avenue from the U-tube (the whole album is pretty nice!)

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/lWQ4IPPXz2k" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited:
Back