Thread: The end of the ICE?

The end of the ICE?

Well, we knew this was coming at some point... France & India to ban petrol fueled car production

I guess France will run on wine!
    MOA #107139

And Volvo just announced that commencing in 2019 all vehicles they produce will be electric or hybrid--no fossil-fuel-only vehicles. Neither change in this thread will mean the end of ICE, just movement in a direction whose pollutants are more easily concentrated, collected, and controlled. Change does happen, after all.

Best,
    DG
    DGerber
    1983 R80ST -- 1988 R100GS "Bee"-- 2004 K1200GT w/Hannigan S/C -- 2010 K1300GT
    BMWMOA#52184, AMA#271542, IBA#138

Glad I got my '88 red brick. Other drivers are beginning to enviously eye mine. Volvo, always on the cusp of development, except for anything built after about '92. See ya later, vrooooom!

Quote Originally Posted by GTRider View Post
    Change does happen, after all.

Best,
    DG
    Sometimes, it takes someone to point in a direction and set a schedule. Otherwise, little happens.
    Cave contents: 16 R12RS, 13 Toyota Tacoma, 03 Simplicity Legacy, 97 Stihl FS75, Dewalt DW625 & SawStop PCS175
    1) My expectations are never low enough & 2) Incompetence is infinite ........David Brooks

Quote Originally Posted by azgman View Post
    Well, we knew this was coming at some point... France & India to ban petrol fueled car production

I guess France will run on wine!
    Since the French mostly drive German, Italian, Japanese and English branded cars anyway, does this really mean anything?

Indeed, the ban is petrol fueled cars as in gasoline. The ICE isn't as they are following Japan's lead to diesel.
    Kinda funny though as both are huge consumers of Saskatchewan's coal.
    1997 R1100RT (Restored Basket Case) , 1981 KZ 440 LTD (Restored Basket Case, my baby, fast, fun)
    3xR90/6, two just sold, one for a sidecar. 1983 K100RS (Cafe now)
    Very Rough R80RT. 1987 K1100RS (freaking hooped I think)

Quote Originally Posted by dieselyoda View Post
    Indeed, the ban is petrol fueled cars as in gasoline. The ICE isn't as they are following Japan's lead to diesel.
    Link is pretty clear that diesel is included in the French ban.
    A lot can change by 2040. If electric/hydrogen/whatever are viable alternatives by then, we may be glad to see the gas pump fade away.
    Larry
    2006 R1200RT

By 2014 I'll be stunned if I can see at all.
    Kevin Huddy
    Tm Pterodactyl MT Outpost

More progression to an ICE free world...

MOA #107139

Quote Originally Posted by GTRider View Post
    And Volvo just announced that commencing in 2019 all vehicles they produce will be electric or hybrid--no fossil-fuel-only vehicles. Neither change in this thread will mean the end of ICE, just movement in a direction whose pollutants are more easily concentrated, collected, and controlled. Change does happen, after all.

Best,
    DG
    We're planning on taking Overseas Delivery of a Volvo V90 within the next year. Will need to order it before they end production of gas powered car. The V90 isn't currently available in a hybrid, I don't want one anyway. In the XC90 the upgrade to hybrid is around 18K, that's way to much for this old dude. Maybe costs will come down a bit in the future. (Yeah, like that's going to happen!)
    Bill Johnston