Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: How to close a thread

How to close a thread

This is a tutorial. If you want to close a thread, any thread, all you have to do is post something that includes firearms, religion and abortion. Paul Glaves did this very effectively in the thread I started titled "Why was this political thread closed?" He made an intended joke - a pretty bad joke, I thought - that included those three items, and the next post was closure of the thread. The fact that Paul is well respected for his mechanical knowledge which he shares at no charge on this forum, in talks at rallies, and for several years as a regular columnist in the ON cut no ice with the moderators.

So, if you like me are a nobody in this club, you now know how you can get threads closed. If say you think the only REAL BMW's are those with two opposing cylinders, there is a sure way of getting threads closed about K-bikes, etc. - and you can still check this out as while two threads have been closed, they haven't yet been eliminated.

A couple days ago I went to the ADV Rider forum to find out what was so bad in "the basement." Yes, I am a "member" but had never visited that part before. I couldn't get in. Then I found out that, just like the MOA site, they didn't remember my screen name and password, though I had checked that box. I could read (but not post) on many forums, just like this web site, but not even read in "the basement." Entered both name and password and was in.

I personally believe this club would be better off if it had a MEMBERS ONLY political section. The rules of "no profanity, no personal attacks, no PM's with a person you disagree with" should still apply. And what I saw in the first closed thread leads me to believe club members, with VERY different beliefs, would abide by those rules. Isn't it better to talk our differences as things unfold than pretend they don't exist?
    Doug
    1992 K100RS

IMO there is no need here on the MOA motorcycle forum to "discuss our differences" with regard to politics, religion, firearms or abortion, and probably other topics. Differences will remain. I repeat, that I know of no one at all who's opinion was changed by an internet political "discussion". I have no desire at all to discuss these issues with people I've enjoyed talking to about motorcycles and even enjoyed meeting and riding with. In the context of a motorcycle ride, it matters none what their political beliefs are. Asking about, discussing, or arguing with them about their political beliefs would only ruin the friendships I have enjoyed.
    "The two most important days in your life are the day you were born, and the day you find out why" -- Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by ClassicVW View Post
    IMO there is no need here on the MOA motorcycle forum to "discuss our differences" with regard to politics, religion, firearms or abortion, and probably other topics. Differences will remain. I repeat, that I know of no one at all who's opinion was changed by an internet political "discussion". I have no desire at all to discuss these issues with people I've enjoyed talking to about motorcycles and even enjoyed meeting and riding with. In the context of a motorcycle ride, it matters none what their political beliefs are. Asking about, discussing, or arguing with them about their political beliefs would only ruin the friendships I have enjoyed.
    +1
    Kevin Huddy
    Tm Pterodactyl MT Outpost

+2

I come here to discuss motorcycles. If I wanted to discuss politics I would go to a political forum.

I go to car forums, guitar forums, and camera forums. (I'm retired. I have a lot of free time.) On all of those forums the rule is that we don't talk politics or religion.
    2015 R nineT

Quote Originally Posted by gfspencer View Post
    +2

I come here to discuss motorcycles. If I wanted to discuss politics I would go to a political forum.

I go to car forums, guitar forums, and camera forums. (I'm retired. I have a lot of free time.) On all of those forums the rule is that we don't talk politics or religion.
    If you re-read BCK's post...is he not saying the same thing ? A separate forum / thread....just like 'airhead' & 'oilhead' are separate . Don't want to read about / discuss 'airheads ?....don't open that thread it's that simple.
    Ron Prior {AMA member 30+ years,MOA member 20+years}
    Milford,Oh
    2002 KLT
    2004 Roadster

Doug,
    Back when I was a newer member , there were a few attempts ,as mentioned in previous threads, at having a members only area. I wasn't a mod, but saw the intensity ramp up between several members.

PM's were sent, shared, and openly discussed.Threats...yes, serious threats spewed from a few who thought their stance was the only correct direction. I was shocked at how serious some were.
    I personally got whammed a few times from some long gone elsewhere pot bangers, and received a few PM's bordering on me needing to contact law enforcement. One stating he knew who/what/when my daily routine was...It was unreal for me to grasp as I am not a combative personality and was just giving a different perspective that did not fly with that individuals view of life. Just to share one ugly scene was a 30-40 year old bragging how he got the young (underage girls) by dressing like the cool kids and riding his BMW. As a father , I was apalled of his bragging of such crap. UNACCEPTABLE.
    I had PM's from members overseas sharing their own experiences and why they
    were leaving the MOA. The Black Helicopters were circling in their views.

After I was asked to join the moderator team, things had cooled and that section had boarded the doors...but feelings and a division had occurred.

I was not a regular poster at ADV, but it was the Wild West over there at that time...it
    isn't that way after even they tried to rein it in with a little more control. The level of uncivil behavior was shocking to say the least and peop,e said things that one would
    think they would not looking you in the eye...else there would be some punches
    thrown or worse.

I say this as a member and also a moderator, I prefer to not have that daily hot topic converstaion on a motorcycle forum that is a side benefit of a larger organization. ADV is not the same environment as it is a stand alone free conglomeration of riders and brands and definitely personalities. A lot of MOA members are ADV members and still have better table manners while posting there than some of the inmates who spend a lot of time poking bears.

I come here to chat about m'cycle related topics that sometimes morph into different viewpoints on ATGATT, technology, ABS systems, and of course oil. I do not care what your race,creed, religion,political beliefs, nor moral code is...it destroys friendships faster than wildfire and divides more than it bonds.

Off my aging soapbox
    Steve Henson
    SABMWRA MOA Club#62's Flat Fixer/ current forum moderator
    It's not the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away-D.Dillon/G. Strait

Doug said......

"Isn't it better to talk our differences as things unfold than pretend they don't exist?"

And I agree completely. We are all adults here & should be able to discuss anything and deal with it, no matter the subject.

Sometimes we can / do learn by just a simple discussion . Burying our heads in sand accomplishes nothing !
    Milford,Oh
    2002 KLT
    2004 Roadster

Back in the saddle again mikegalbicka's Avatar
    Just can't let it go.

Quote Originally Posted by mikegalbicka View Post
    Just can't let it go.

and some can't 'let go' of their need to control what others may post / reply/ discuss.
    Milford,Oh
    2002 KLT
    2004 Roadster

Moderators do not just pluck the rules out of the air. How this forum operates is ultimately directed by a consensus of the members. Gary, Kurt and Steve, among others, are acting on behalf of what I am confident is the majority of our members, when they put a lid on political and other banned topics. Experience proves that we cannot or will not discuss some issues as adults and that some members do not realize that their posts are inflammatory, or perhaps they are intentionally incendiary. We've tried having a sub-forum that allowed threads about just about anything and they were colossal failures. No need to travel the same path again. Some folks are drawn to conflict and confrontation and are compelled to feel they have won every debate, discussion or argument. I have exhibited such behavior myself and realize that this is not the place for such conduct.
    Kevin Huddy
    Tm Pterodactyl MT Outpost

Quote Originally Posted by BCKRider View Post
    I personally believe this club would be better off if it had a MEMBERS ONLY political section.
    I know of a certain place on Facebook....

Quote Originally Posted by akbeemer View Post
    Some folks are drawn to conflict and confrontation and are compelled to feel they have won every debate, discussion or argument. I have exhibited such behavior myself and realize that this is not the place for such conduct.
    Kevin you totally bring a shining bit of honor to this place. THANKS

I do feel that each has the right to say what they think on a subject. The problem for me, is that the words I write need REEEEEDING, NOT twisting. Most often this happens and it causes grief as my thoughts are often right on the cusp or edge of what can be taken as incorrect.

The moderators don't need nor should they be put into a situation to come down on folks for their thoughts and feelings. Often, I feel, they are right there with us or so close; but cant get involved......

Yes, when folks twist my words and thoughts to meet their needs it is totally irksome and I do come back to defend how I feel. So, for me, it's lay back and watch my trees grow........lol....if only I can.......Just glad that we are here in our diminishing population on this outfit. Perhaps that is why we need to keep it down. Or is it just the opposite??????

Ian....Some of us have never done one of those tweet things nor looked at our face in a book. I appreciate this place being here.

Quote Originally Posted by gfspencer View Post
    +2

I enjoy coming here for the lack of vile political, religious, or other polarizing discussions. There is enough of that crap elsewhere in the world, lets keep this space about motorcycles and related topics.

Can we go back to talking about oil an tires now.
    Ed Miller, Calgary, AB
    2008 K1200GT, 2009 F800GS
    I can't wait to retire and have a fixed income. The one I have now is always broke.

Quote Originally Posted by mcmxcivrs View Post
    I enjoy coming here for the lack of vile political, religious, or other polarizing discussions. There is enough of that crap elsewhere in the world, lets keep this space about motorcycles and related topics.

Can we go back to talking about oil an tires now.
    Very simple to do....open the oil & tire threads...& ignore the political / religious ones.
    Milford,Oh
    2002 KLT
    2004 Roadster

+3

The hard feelings some of the political discussions generate, don't stop in the "political" threads. They carry on throughout the forum, and change the tone everywhere.

Again...why is someone whose location says they live in Canada, wanting to talk about USA politics??? Why are they the one who is so desperate to talk about another country's politics? We call them trolls on other forums.

BCKRider.jpg

You want to talk about political things...go find a political forum to do so on. This is a motorcycle forum.

On a different BMW forum, one of the moderators has gotten into a discussion that started out apolitical, but he's bringing things in with a political flavor. Even moderators are susceptible to crossing the line, and I can tell there are some bitter feelings behind the few comments he's made.

There's a lot of hard feelings out there right now. I personally want to treat others with love and respect and let their wounds heal. Stirring the pot as a troll, does nothing to let those wounds heal.

Chris
    Elnathan - 2014 BMW F800GT
    IBA# 49894 True Rounder = 0-20's - Rounder -- to -- 100's+ Red Hot Rounder
    John 14:6