• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Bluetooth or Your Invisible Friend?

tourunigo

:type .... there was this guy down at the coffee shop. He'd talk to himself while sitting there. Some days more animated than others. We all knew him and his invisible friends. Noone ever interrupted him. Well, again, yesterday, I thought of him. I was in a retail store when the guy next to me starts talking. I thought that he said something to me so I turned to see him sorting through clothing, with both hands, and seemingly talking to the rack and not me.:scratch And there it was again ... this Junebug looking thing. Bluetooth.

Now, I don't want you to think that because I own a /5 I take the Luddite creed into all aspects of my technological life. While a bit slow in regards to the newest technologies, I do find the Bluetooth makes for some amusing and, at times, odd moments. To me it looks a bit goofy and in practice continually reminds me of that coffee shop guy but to each their own I suppose.

I'm sure in time I'll get used to this. In fact, to the unexpected plus side, maybe my coffee shop friend will increasingly feel normalized in this evolving world of Bluetooth communicators. - Bob

Blue Tooths are great and I've been using mine for three or four years now. However, mine seems to work much better in the confines of a car, not in open spaces. Hence, in order to get the best service from it and to not appear as an obnoxious idiot, I leave mine in the car. When I do forget that it is on my ear and a call comes in when I am in public, I simply cancel the use of the blue tooth.

I find it very irritating when in a store and someone uses it very loudly for their call. I don't need to be privy to their conversation.

:type .... there was this guy down at the coffee shop. He'd talk to himself while sitting there. Some days more animated than others. We all knew him and his invisible friends. Noone ever interrupted him. Well, again, yesterday, I thought of him. I was in a retail store when the guy next to me starts talking. I thought that he said something to me so I turned to see him sorting through clothing, with both hands, and seemingly talking to the rack and not me.:scratch And there it was again ... this Junebug looking thing. Bluetooth.

Now, I don't want you to think that because I own a /5 I take the Luddite creed into all aspects of my technological life. While a bit slow in regards to the newest technologies, I do find the Bluetooth makes for some amusing and, at times, odd moments. To me it looks a bit goofy and in practice continually reminds me of that coffee shop guy but to each their own I suppose.

I'm sure in time I'll get used to this. In fact, to the unexpected plus side, maybe my coffee shop friend will increasingly feel normalized in this evolving world of Bluetooth communicators. - Bob

Cell phones and Bluetooth have made grocery stores interesting again!! Such juicy tidbits of 'last night' revealed in the isle!! I personally feel eventually some humans will develop a permanent BT device in their ear, I would feel silly wearing mine everywhere I go, but.. it does have it's place... I personally use my cell like a 'telephone', not like a 'lung'... But I'm O.L.D.
Hail to you, oh brother Luddite!!!
Jan...

I do remodeling work and thought it would be a way to take calls and not have to put down the trim piece or whatever I was holding. I find, though, that the earpiece hurts my ear after a couple hours, and have tried 2 now, but still am not comfortable wearing it all day. Also, taking a call diverts my attention from the other task, so it slows me down either way. I can be more precise in my phone call and get back to work quicker by focusing on one thing at a time. That said, I am just a man, so multi-tasking isn't a strong point.

I wonder how many people use them as a distraction, to just stay on the phone all day, because they are uncomfortable with their own thoughts......................hmmmm

Cell phones and Bluetooth have made grocery stores interesting again!! Such juicy tidbits of 'last night' revealed in the isle!! I personally feel eventually some humans will develop a permanent BT device in their ear, I would feel silly wearing mine everywhere I go, but.. it does have it's place... I personally use my cell like a 'telephone', not like a 'lung'... But I'm O.L.D.
Hail to you, oh brother Luddite!!!
Jan...

Interesting indeed! The art of human discourse is in some sort of wobble IMHO but that too will pass. At least my coffee shop friend kept his voice down..... -Bob

.....taking a call diverts my attention from the other task, so it slows me down either way. I can be more precise in my phone call and get back to work quicker by focusing on one thing at a time. That said, I am just a man, so multi-tasking isn't a strong point.

I wonder how many people use them as a distraction, to just stay on the phone all day, because they are uncomfortable with their own thoughts......................hmmmm

(on a related thought)...and what, pray tell, does this mean for that rider who engages in a discussion while riding? :whistle - Bob

Ironic, that while most of us as motorcyclists are wary of distracted drivers, some would consider riding with a phone in their ear.

When on long trips I use a ScalaQ2 blue tooth in my helmet. It allows me to hear my GPS and if my cell phone rings it comunicates with the GPS and I have the option of answering the call then or ignoring it till a later time when it is safer to talk on the phone. It also allows me to listen to my GPS's MP3 player in stereo if I so desire. Never thought I would like it that much but on long trips it makes me feel safer knowing that I can make or recieve a call with my helmet on. It is very clear at speeds under 60 MPH.

I tried the bluetooth thing but didn't like it. Ear-comfort and general audibility were issues, but I also hated having to go through so many menu-steps in my phone just to enable the damn thing *EVERY* damn time.

I tried the bluetooth thing but didn't like it. Ear-comfort and general audibility were issues, but I also hated having to go through so many menu-steps in my phone just to enable the damn thing *EVERY* damn time.

I thought the same thing. Then I found out that once I turned on the bluetooth earpiece the phone automatically connected. Might want to check yours.

Back