• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Jacket choice

jimfastcar

I did not want to post this under the HiViz thread which has become about the pro and con. I was rear-ended a month ago, and have a new bike as a result. Riding season is over because of weather, but doing my Winter and Xmas list planning.
Curently wear Olympia AST - good jacket. So my choices are Olympia HiViz Vest to wear over AST Jacket (hot I can imagine, but most cost-effective answer.
BMW Savannah in the yellow/grey - but I think I would need to get some fleece or other undergarment for cold weather. It does not look as waterproof as AST.
Stich Darien - the old standby

What say you ?

I have experience with the Darien and the Savannah, but not the AST, which I've only read about. I'm on my second Darien, as I really like that no separate rainsuit or liner is required, and I can tolerate that it's warmer. My friend Darryl prefers the Savannah, as he didn't mind the liner issue and really didn't like the increased warmth in hot weather.

Last time I shopped, I ended up buying a half-dozen jackets over the net, and wearing them around the house. I ended up with Darien #2. I was careful to buy where I could return the purchase without a restocking fee. There were a lot of big boxes around for a week, and the dining room table's chairs looked like a bikers' convention.

Why don't you look into some sew on reflective strips. There is a lot of reflective stuff on the market you can sew on. That is too nice a jacket to get rid of just because it doesn't have it. rockywoods fabrics online is one place that sells some.

I'd be nervous about stitching anything onto a textile jacket because it might compromise the fabric's waterproofness. With that in mind I found at Walmart a product called Dritz Liquid Stitch. It claims to be washable (waterproof?) and ought to be stong enough to fasten reflective material to a riding jacket. Also it might be used to attach an MOA patch to my jacket without stitching. I haven't tried it yet, but I'm getting closer.

Not sure I understand the question

Are you looking to replace the jacket or enhance the visibility?

I have two jackets, an Olympia Airglide II mesh.
airglideComposite.jpg

I have it in silver. It has reflective tape sewn in and the liner is removable and waterproof. At least in the Colorado summer downpours.

I also have a Tourmaster Transition

transition2neonyel.jpg
also in silver and it is flat out waterproof. Same thing with the reflective.

The Tourmaster is too warm behind the RT fairing so I bought the Airglide for summer wear.

You could also buy a good quality road workers reflective vest for less than $20 that you could wear over the jacket. Many come in mesh material to allow for airflow.
stop-painting_2026_8742482

These you can find in any work clothing shop.

Having just sorted through this issue for myself, there is no way I would settle for a construction vest. As you may know (from the Hi Viz thread) I ended up with the Olympia vest. Lots of mesh front and back for air flow and excellent, moto specific quality. Frankly, I consider $70 cheap and a $20 construction vest cheaping out. If you want even more mesh, the Vision vest is a good choice.

I feel sometimes - I have a target on me. It's safer to ride in a group.

Jimfastcar - I do miss Sharky bar and patio- jumping off the bridge in summer up in Oakville. :drink
Mississauga peelers :doh

Use a vest or get some of the Hi-Viz material that can be attached to your jacket. On a silver mesh jacket I have used some reflective armbands from Gander Mountain that are red on one side and yellow on the other. They are adjustable in size and less than $10.00 each. The armbands are very visible at night.
Ride Safe :usa

Back