• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

DYNA BEADS for tire balancing

Need some input from those who have been there... Seems every motorcycle shop that has a front counter has a display of these "Dyna Beads" for fuss-free dynamic tire balancing. Small packet (1/2 oz or 1 oz) of silicon (?) beads that are inserted into the tube or tire.
Does anyone have any experience with this method? Comments? Warnings?

'75 R60/6
'81 R80 G/S
'92 R100R

I'd like to try them out, but just am not certain about safety issues.
Thanks in advance

BMW of Daytona put Dyna-beads in the new Metzler tire on the rear of my CLC.
So far no vibration and no wheel weights a win/win situation.

Ride Safe :p

I put dyna beads in the tires on my oilhead about 5k miles ago and they work just as they claim.
When you put them in through the valve stem you need a way to vibrate the stem to get the beads to flow,I held an electric sander with a rag wrapped around it next to the stem.
And be careful not to spill them.Check out dyna bead's web site if you haven't yet.

Last edited:
I used them in the front tire I installed. Very smooth. It is nice to have no weights on the rim. I will continue use them. Some vendors sell them with a tube that will hold the entire quantity for the wheel. It makes it easier not to spill as you fill.

Last edited:
Safety issues?

Not sure what you're worried about.

I started changing my own tires just because I could balance them with DynaBeads. I have them in the rear and have no problems. You can go to their website and see how they work - took me a while but I now understand the concept and think it's brilliant.

I use dyna beads and have no complaints. I think a real test would be to use no beads, add weight until a vibration is noticeable, then add beads and see it the vibration is cured. I just haven't had time to mess with it.

I know a racer who does not like them because when you brake hard for a corner, the beads get thrown out of whack and you get vibration. But I've never had a problem on the street and I don't notice any balancing issues on my RT.

Here's about the best video demo I've seen:

http://tinyurl.com/4qwzmv

Robo

thanks for the input.
Many years ago I had used a similar product in my pick-up truck tires and was quite satisfied with the resulting smooth ride. But then the product was removed from the passenger vehicle market and I never really found out why. That is partly why I was hesitant to try it on bike tires. After checking out the link and the video, it sounds like the way to go.

ride safe, ride far

They work great for me, and I will continue to use them. Installation is a lot easier if you go to the hardware store and buy a longer tube than the one that comes with them. All you need is a foot.

copied from Continental search results

Continental Motorcycle Tyres -
The new ContiRaceAttack Slick represents the next stage for Continental Motorcycle Tyres in building up its racing tyre program. ...

Since I just put a pair of blitz tyres on my bike I guess i just .....

by the way, the blitz front on my 90/6 cured the headshake I was having with the older ribbed tires on deceleration. oops I meant tyres!

Balance your tires correctly in the first place.

This stuff is a poor answer to a non-problem.

Need some input from those who have been there... Seems every motorcycle shop that has a front counter has a display of these "Dyna Beads" for fuss-free dynamic tire balancing. Small packet (1/2 oz or 1 oz) of silicon (?) beads that are inserted into the tube or tire.
Does anyone have any experience with this method? Comments? Warnings?

'75 R60/6
'81 R80 G/S
'92 R100R

I'd like to try them out, but just am not certain about safety issues.
Thanks in advance

I change my own tires (or tyres) on '04RT and '81RT and balance with dyna beads and will never use weights as the beads are all I need. Smoooth with no vibration and even wear, no cupping. Just pour beads slowly and thump the valve stem rapidly much as you would a water mellon in the grocery store. Simple:D

I have used these beads on both tires on my CLC and my friends bike with great results. As to properly balancing the tires with weights, as the tires wear that would change the balance as where the beads would compensate. Think about it.

Those using them should check balance on your tires. My snowflakes and new tires are perfectly balanced without any weights. No dyna beads either.

I can't remotely figure out the physics that would make these things work. I understand how they would distribute themselves, but why and how would they distribute themselves to compensate for the imperfections of a tire, the valve, and so on? And do it each and every time you start rolling down the road. :scratch

I believe riders that haven't had problems with them, but has anyone done back to back tests between a tire that was clearly out of balance and then reinstalled it in the exact same way but with the beads?

It all sounds too good to be true.

Back