• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Great Places to Retire?

Florence, S.C. area is great!!! close to the beach ( 60 miles ) close to the mountains ( 3 hrs ) only 4 hrs to Fla. some of the best golf in the U.S. and you can be a RAW member ( Ride all Winter ) plus low living costs. :dance :bolt

I keep my residence in Fla. for taxes but have an RV lot in Northern Ga. for my ridiing and fall and spring fun. Many of my fellow Govt, retirees live in Northern Al. very pretty area, Arkansas has always looked nice when riding through it, Out west I'd go with Mesquite, N.V. over St George, and after a four day ride through and around most of New Mexico I was quite impressed and much cheaper than Colorado where I originally wanted to retire. Western South Carolina gets hi reviews for Govt. retirees because of available services.

If you opt for Florida you can do much better than St. Pete. Especially if riding is a consideration. Anywhere in north Florida is nice for weather, riding and camping conditions year round and quick access to the interesting roads just to the north.
There are two nice university towns (I'm partial to Ganesville, but Tallahassee is also nice), Jacksonville the gulf coast, and lots of rural space. There may be other considerations that draw you to St. Pete.

Gee, it sounds like you have a Real Good Reason to ride down to the National Rally in Tennessee! You will have a bunch of neighboring states to check out (VA,NC,TN,WV.SC) which include some excellent motorcycle roads. There are a lot of interesting towns down twisty roads in the Appalachians and I sure like living in the Piedmont of NC and having year-round riding!

Seems to me, you have a very good reason to come to Tennessee in July! :clap

I agree. Folks should try to come down a few days early to get a general feel for the surrounding area and the people. Some people like the slow pace and laid back attitude of the area while it drives others nuts. When I moved back to the area after spending several years in Northern Virginia, it took me a while to readjust. It seemed like it took forever to find out information I needed. I wanted to reach down in their throat and pull the words out. Now, I wouldn't have it any other way. It's nice to have good motorcycle roads at the end of the driveway.

Sierra Vista, AZ - Fort Huachuca

Check out the above. Long time Army installation, Intell School, Wonderful weather, good riding area, reasonable housing, most of the city amenities, good medical facilities, good retiree aspects. Cooler than Tucson, way cooler than Phoenix or St. George in summer, nice in winter. Great facilites on Fort Huachuca (FHU) for military retirees, PX, etc.. BMW club. Tucson is only a 1+10" drive on freeway if you really need a big city.

I gotta go with my home state, AR. I live in Paris. I would refer to the area I live as the foothills of the Ozarks even though the highest point in the state is 10 miles from my house. Moving North from my area around Bentonville, Bella Vista it is a great place to live. You will find the cost of living all around here very nice. Winters are a breeze. Last year I think there were about 20 days that I could/would not ride. It is a beautiful area and the housing market does not appear to be totally ridiculous like some areas. I bought my house 2 years ago it is less than 10 years old 3500sf, plus a garage large enough for 5 dirt bikes, 1 Valk, and the RT. 109,000. I thought it was a steal after looking in Anchorage and Houston for a house. Hey I would compare the riding we have to anyone in the country.

Kelly (22 days)

... WeÔÇÖve considered St. George, UT; Winthrop, WA; Manhattan, KS, St Pete, FL; western VA; and, Helena, MT. We are looking for milder weather, but a short winter is okay. After living with 6-7 month winters for the last 14 years, 2-3 months of winter seems like a piece of cake. Cost of living, especially housing is an important factor; prefer small town or rural. We have family all over the states, but west of the Mississippi is probably better, but not a certainty. And of course having good riding options is a big plus; we plan on spending our time riding and playing golf. So letÔÇÖs hear your sage advice on where we should retire, as well as places to avoid. :lurk
St George is the weirdest resort community you've ever seen, with the Mormon sensibilities but the tourist traffic. The health issues are a consideration. The location is great for a rider.

I've got family in the Tampa-Clearwater-St Pete area. If you want ocean, it's good. For riding, it's not that great: traffic, seasonal insanity, humidity and rain. Not enough winter to kill the bugs, a must-have on my personal list.

Winthrop WA is one of my personal favs. WA is one of the states with, at least presently, a tax structure that works well for the retired. Some of the best riding in the county.

Helena MT is a bit deceptive. It is the State Capital, yet it is a sleepy place except for three months every other year, when the legislature is in session. I know Nashville recording artists who live there when not recording; it is their retreat. Of all the parts of Montana, Helena is still pretty affordable. Our tax rules aren't bad, we have no sales tax, but they aren't great. It depends on your bracket. World-class motorcycle riding. It may be West of the Mississippi but it is East of the Continental Divide. You will get more blue sky than on the West side, but it will be a bit colder (and a lot windier), too.

:type ... so I'm thinking, as I ponder the possibilities of my pending retirement, what if I were to learn Spanish and get a six month gig driving a bus in Key West and maybe that would be part of my immediate (albeit short term) retirement plan. Beats that other plan of selling t-shirts off a kiosk on the Keys somewhere I suppose. I'm looking for winter options. -Bob

NOT Wisconsin, geez our TAXES are too high, the HEAT and HUMIDITY in the summer, SNOWDRIFTS up to your eyeballs, TWICE a day MOST months of the year, OH the construction in the 1.5 days out of the year we call summer. Dahmer, Gehin, Liberace, UGGG you DON'T want to move here. Come on up in the summer time, then go back home to "Gods Country" after the Indians have all your money.
Gilly

Ummmmm, I must most humbly disagree with you. (You were born in IL right?).:stick

We have The coast of lake Michigan which offers great riding, quaint towns, awesome food choices, and limitless watersports.
On the other side of the state we are bordered by Old Man River and all it has to offer.

We have huge expanses of unspoiled forest and prairie. Pristine lakes and streams. Culture, both historic, and modern. Sports. Top notch Universities.

Oh yeah, and Mother Earth. Ever wonder why Frank Lloyd Wright was so smitten by this state?

Why stay if it brings so much misery?

Me? I'm a lifer. I love it here. I love to explore, and visit and learn about other places, but Wisconsin is my home. I guess I have too much cheese flowing in my veins.

The winters are pretty mild in Nova Scotia, aren't they, Bob? But you do get some serious snowfalls...

milder, mostly in Halifax but a quick dip in a January Atlantic can pucker you up quite a bit. Nova Scotia weather varies a lot as you move from region to region. I really just want to be able to throw away my stringed mittens for a while and not scrape the windshield. Although, it really is fun to get snowed in with no place to go..... as long as you are warm, dry and have a supply of good food and drink. Although, if anyone in a warm climate who would like a few months in a cooler climate then maybe a short-term house trade could be looked at:dunno -Bob

Last edited:
Take a look at Pueblo Colorado. Mild winters. Long summers. Cheap housing. Decent medical. 40 minutes from Fort Carson and the big PX.

Great riding in Colorado. :dance

Mild winters in Colorado. Who knew. The rest Sounds interesting. Does Ft Carson have a good medical facility? How are the taxes. I may have to add this to my short list of places to retire. Notice not to many people recommending the north east. Tax Hell for sure and not going to get better any time soon.

From what I have seen taxes are often run on the smoke & mirrors system. Property tax low? some other tax, in some cases unheard of in your former home will be there to make up the difference.

Insurance? in South Carolina the minimum mandated by state law for liability means that you will need to have UNDER-insured motorist coverage for those who meet the requirement of the law, but this figure falls far short of properly reimbursing the injured party. Un-insured motorists coverage will still be needed.

Check all aspects of each state/municipality under consideration for taxes vs services, insurance costs based on the fire and Police ratings. Personal property taxes for vehicles and furnishings.

Expect that you will not be welcomed with open arms by the locals who are still holding out hope from the 1861-65 conflict. You will find many fellow expatriates from up North to make up for this fortunately.

Be very careful in this decision.

Ummmmm, I must most humbly disagree with you. (You were born in IL right?).:stick

We have The coast of lake Michigan which offers great riding, quaint towns, awesome food choices, and limitless watersports.
On the other side of the state we are bordered by Old Man River and all it has to offer.

We have huge expanses of unspoiled forest and prairie. Pristine lakes and streams. Culture, both historic, and modern. Sports. Top notch Universities.

Oh yeah, and Mother Earth. Ever wonder why Frank Lloyd Wright was so smitten by this state?

Why stay if it brings so much misery?

Me? I'm a lifer. I love it here. I love to explore, and visit and learn about other places, but Wisconsin is my home. I guess I have too much cheese flowing in my veins.

pssssssttt! Trying to keep the population down, DAH!!! I didn't even contest the "Gods Country" comment, everyone knows that Wisconsin is Gods Country, if Old Style said it, you know it's the truth! Get with the program before we get over run!

Gilly

Instead of St. George, consider northern Utah. St. George is rapidly out growing it's resources. Also, very hot in the summer, crowded, up tight socially. On the other hand, the Ogden area has access to HAFB for commissary, etc. You can ride nearly all year 'round. I can ride to St. George any time I want to get out of the cold. You can be in the mountains in minutes. Very close to Wyoming, Idaho, Colorado with all they have to offer. Only problem is living in a theocracy which you can get used to.

Although, if anyone in a warm climate who would like a few months in a cooler climate then maybe a short-term house trade could be looked at:dunno -Bob

I had the same idea and actually had some interest from a fellow in FL about swaping homes for a winter. Some folks will be interested in wintering over in a sub-arctic environment..... they think. Nothing ever came of the idea. I was concerned about getting a call while on the beach in February letting me know the deal was off.

Brevard, North Carolina. 18 miles off the Blue Ridge Parkway, wonderful roads to ride, four distinct seasons, great fall foliage.............and the home of the White Squirrel.

Lots of waterfalls. reasonable cost of living. endless great roads. I'm looking there myself.
robert

I'm a NC native so my standard is pretty high--it's hard to beat NC as many others have stated.

I've currently lived in Indianapolis for a few years and it's turned out to be great in that it is clean, new, nice people, crime is relatively low as are the taxes. In fact, just about everywhere I would move to that would have the same population and industry would be more expensive.

Fishers, IN (northside suburb) was just ranked in the top 20 best places to live in the country according to Money magazine.

My complaints are: Not near a beach and Indy is not a major airport hub so the flights can get expensive connecting almost every time I fly.

Good luck

Pueblo Colorado etc

Colorado state taxes are pretty reasonable. Pueblo city has about 7% sales tax, county is less. Ft. Carson is a huge base with a division posted there. Colorado Springs has about a gazillion retired military (give or take a bazillion) and they can't be all wrong.

Pueblo West is a growing area and one of the best values around.

Check it out.

Back