• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Great Places to Retire?

Retired Army myself! (Thirty one years. Six years in Kansas!!)

I came back home to North Carolina. The cost of living is reasonable. The winters aren't too bad. (Last year we didn't have any snow in the Charlotte area.) It's a short ride to the mountains and some of the best roads that you will find anywhere.

Retired Army myself! (Thirty one years. Six years in Kansas!!)

I came back home to North Carolina. The cost of living is reasonable. The winters aren't too bad. (Last year we didn't have any snow in the Charlotte area.) It's a short ride to the mountains and some of the best roads that you will find anywhere.

But If you're going to move to NC to retire, go straight to the mountains and miss the big city traffic, high living cost and congestion. The mountains of Western NC, Eastern TN and SW VA are being invaded by halfbacks. Halfbacks are folks from up north that moved to Florida, didn't like then high cost of living, natural disasters, lack of seasons, trees, rocks, mountains. etc. and moved halfway back which brought them to this area.

Family Considerations

Where ever the favourite part of your family lives. Friends retired and sold up for big money in Toronto ON. They bought property in Penticton BC and Scottsdale AZ and thought they had the world by the tail. The had lots of visitors the first year and were delighted with their plan. THe next year they had no visitors and REALLY missed their grandchildren. Kids will be reluctant to fly across the continent every year. My friends moved back to Ontario and rent a place in Florida for the winter months. It kind of depends how important your family is to you.:type

Last edited:
The Votes Are In

A quick tally of the responses so far:

(Disclaimer: There were several hanging chads, disputed and challenged votes and fraud appeared to be rampant)

The most recommended area of the country is the southeast (VA, TN, SC, NC, GA, FL) with 14 votes for and 1 against these states. NC is the most recommended state with 6 people recommending the Tar Heel State.

Next is the southwest (AZ, NM, CO, NV, UT) with 10 for and 2 against.

Third is the mid-west (KY, IN, IL, WI) with 6 recommendations and 1 against.

The following states received 2 recommendations: CA (tepid recommendations due to cost), MT 2 for and 1 against, AR, and TX. The country of New Zealand also received 2 recommendations.

And finally, these states received one recommendation: WY and SD

Let me add some additional info about Arizona.

They have income tax here including retirement income.

The sales tax is relatively high and climbing. It's at 8.75% right now in Tucson and I think 9%+ in Phoenix.

Vehicle registration costs are outrageous for newer vehicles. It's based on cost of the vehicle so the higher the price of the vehicle the higher the price of the tab. If your vehicle is about 10 to 15 years old it's about the same as it is in other areas of the country, 20 some dollars. If you have a $25K vehicle you should expect annual registration costs to be several hundred dollars. It will drop slowly but not very much each year. You also have emissions checks on the vehicles that must be passed to get the license.

Insurance costs here are high due to two reasons. The collision rate is very high (Tucson used to average about 10,000 collision reports a year in the city limits alone in the 90's) and there is a high rate of uninsured rivers due to the costs. I would frequently write tickets for no insurance on a high percentage of my traffic stops. Lots of folks buy insurance, get the card to renew their plates then drop the insurance for the refund. There are quite a few folks driving on suspended drivers licenses because of that, not to mention the number of vehicles driven by illegal aliens who also don't have insurance and or a license.

There are quite a few vehicles being stolen and taken South to Mexico. As an example, one of the previous Chief of Police here in Tucson had her car (Police unmarked vehicle complete with handi talkie and her weapon, she wasn't real bright about securing sensitive items IMO) stolen from her residence. She recovered the vehicle damaged after spotting it in Nogales being driven by a Mexican Federal Police Officer. The radio and weapon were never seen again.

Traffic in the metro areas is very heavy and among the worst IMO for inattentive drivers in the nation from my experience in driving around the nation in the last 5 years. The only places that make me more nervous to drive are Houston, San Antonio, Boston and the DFW area. I try to avoid the larger cities in our travels when possible.

Crime is on the increase. It was reported last week on a national news network (NBC?) that Phoenix is averaging almost one reported kidnapping a day. They were up to 266 last week most all due to the Mexican drug gangs operating there recovering drug debts. It's anticipated that there is significant percentage that are not being reported. There were also a couple Police Officers killed in the line of duty by illegal aliens in the last year, one in Tucson.

I grew up here, worked here and spent over 50 years of my life in Southern Arizona. Now to me, it looks the best going away in my rear view mirror. If it weren't for our medical insurance being based in one of 2 counties in AZ. and my son is still here, I'd never bother to come back at all.

We love Bend, OR but you do have to put up with winter. Less than 10" of rain a year and you pretty much hang up motorcycle riding for three or four months during the winter.

Two years ago, Bend was known for having the most over priced real estate in the country. Needless to say, there are dramatic price adjustments taking place. No sales tax!

I noticed Winthrup, WA was on your list....before the Microsoft yuppies with tons of money entered onto the scene, Winthrup would have been a decent choice. Now property/houses are out of site over there...plus-they get a fair amount of snow. The North Cascades HWY shuts down, depending on when it starts snowing, Nov. or Dec. and doesn't open up till late Spring April or May.

There's no state income tax in WA. Living in Western WA, it's pretty mild. Eastern WA. you're looking at hot and dry in the Summer, snowy in the Winter. If you lived in the Southwestern part of WA, you could probably ride year round...like in the area of Vancouver, WA. Plus, then you'd be near Portland, OR and major hospitals. I live in the Seattle area and ride year round...

That's my .02...

Good luck on your search!

Check out the above. Long time Army installation, Intell School, Wonderful weather, good riding area, reasonable housing, most of the city amenities, good medical facilities, good retiree aspects. Cooler than Tucson, way cooler than Phoenix or St. George in summer, nice in winter. Great facilites on Fort Huachuca (FHU) for military retirees, PX, etc.. BMW club. Tucson is only a 1+10" drive on freeway if you really need a big city.

+1

Arizona has very short winters and year round riding. The summers are not all that pleasant and the cost of living is going out of sight now.

Climate wise we like Oregon and Washington but could never afford to live there.

I don't know about the rest of AZ, but real estate in Phoenix is currently tanking.

MONTANA - Last best place

You do NOT want to come here. All the mountain twisties you have to put up with. The dry climate. Hunting and Fishing all year long. VA Hospitals around the state. I think we're up to 3 people per square mile now, still less than one million population so PLEASE move to Texas or Florida..

A quick tally of the responses so far:

(Disclaimer: There were several hanging chads, disputed and challenged votes and fraud appeared to be rampant)

Third is the mid-west (KY, IN, IL, WI) with 6 recommendations and 1 against.

The post I made about WI was a joke, OK? Sorry no one got it. I did get an email from the 'whizzer and we are on good terms.
PS MAN, you DON'T want to move here!!!:nono

Gilly

Oregon

Come up spend your money then get the hell out! You notice I said "up", get the picture?

Native Oregonian since 1943

There is/was an ad in the BMW Owners News placed by a real estate agent in Coeur D'Alene Idaho. It said "Come live where people come to vacation" or some close variation on that theme.

The thought has some merit. I live near Big Bend National Park. On the other hand I would hate to live near Disney World, or in Gatlinburg, Branson, Wisconsin Dells, or at Area 51.

You are 13 years late to the party. Akbeemer had to relocate without your sound advice. :laugh

Yes, and we ended up in Montana for the last ten years. Moved here for the short and easy winters. The folks here say something similar to jammess’ “spend your money then get the hell out!”, only it’s directed at those from over on the west coast. We all have our wishes and dream…. :brow

After 22 years here in NorCal, we'll head to SoCal to retire.

Y'all will have to come visit our AirBnB operation directed to motoring enthusiasts. We'll be near good riding, whether it's dirt, pavement, bicycling, dirt bikes, 4x4s, sport bikes, sports cars or whatever you like to use to explore.

Let me add some additional info about Arizona.

They have income tax here including retirement income.

The sales tax is relatively high and climbing. It's at 8.75% right now in Tucson and I think 9%+ in Phoenix.

Vehicle registration costs are outrageous for newer vehicles. It's based on cost of the vehicle so the higher the price of the vehicle the higher the price of the tab. If your vehicle is about 10 to 15 years old it's about the same as it is in other areas of the country, 20 some dollars. If you have a $25K vehicle you should expect annual registration costs to be several hundred dollars. It will drop slowly but not very much each year. You also have emissions checks on the vehicles that must be passed to get the license.

Insurance costs here are high due to two reasons. The collision rate is very high (Tucson used to average about 10,000 collision reports a year in the city limits alone in the 90's) and there is a high rate of uninsured rivers due to the costs. I would frequently write tickets for no insurance on a high percentage of my traffic stops. Lots of folks buy insurance, get the card to renew their plates then drop the insurance for the refund. There are quite a few folks driving on suspended drivers licenses because of that, not to mention the number of vehicles driven by illegal aliens who also don't have insurance and or a license.

There are quite a few vehicles being stolen and taken South to Mexico. As an example, one of the previous Chief of Police here in Tucson had her car (Police unmarked vehicle complete with handi talkie and her weapon, she wasn't real bright about securing sensitive items IMO) stolen from her residence. She recovered the vehicle damaged after spotting it in Nogales being driven by a Mexican Federal Police Officer. The radio and weapon were never seen again.

Traffic in the metro areas is very heavy and among the worst IMO for inattentive drivers in the nation from my experience in driving around the nation in the last 5 years. The only places that make me more nervous to drive are Houston, San Antonio, Boston and the DFW area. I try to avoid the larger cities in our travels when possible.

Crime is on the increase. It was reported last week on a national news network (NBC?) that Phoenix is averaging almost one reported kidnapping a day. They were up to 266 last week most all due to the Mexican drug gangs operating there recovering drug debts. It's anticipated that there is significant percentage that are not being reported. There were also a couple Police Officers killed in the line of duty by illegal aliens in the last year, one in Tucson.

I grew up here, worked here and spent over 50 years of my life in Southern Arizona. Now to me, it looks the best going away in my rear view mirror. If it weren't for our medical insurance being based in one of 2 counties in AZ. and my son is still here, I'd never bother to come back at all.

Your state tax bill in Arizona will depend greatly on the sources of your retirement income.

Arizona, rated by Kiplinger as one of the nation's most tax-friendly states, does not tax your Social Security benefits (unlike these states that do). And on most other income that is taxed, rates are relatively low—from 2.59% (for married filers with as much as $54,544 of taxable income) to 4.5% (for married filers with more than $327,263 of taxable income)

The sales tax is somewhat higher than where I lived when I worked, but not by much. And water is quite literally almost free compared to where my work years were spent [ which is odd cause this is desert and there we sat on one of the biggest acquifers in the nation ]. My property taxes are much less than back east were as well.

NONE of my Roth is taxable, s/s isn't taxable here. I'm staying put. I like the weather and the Sonoran desert.

I moved from the Dallas-FtWorth area to Las Vegas a few years ago. Both states have no income tax and the sales tax is a wash. I can see all the snow I want looking out my window at Mt. Charleston! I have no use for snow if you get my drift. You need to have a good air conditioner in the summer.
Cost of living is OK but vehicle registration is high. Gas is at the middle price nation wide.
With that said, I do miss Texas. If I were to return I'd want to live at the northern edge of Hill Country where you'll find some of the best motorcycle riding in the country. You can find nice homes for less than $200k. And I should mention great BBQ and Blue Bell ice cream!

I lived in Twisp WA, 15 miles south of Winthrop. Snow for at least 5 months if not more. Working at compound for Forest Service, we bet on when the snow pile would melt. Usually around 4th of July.

Our top picks.

We moved a couple years ago from Montana after visiting and scoring, with a spreadsheet, 28 towns to retire in. We had places identified all over the country but decided early on we wanted to stay in the west. Our criteria included cost of living, taxes, restaurants and culture, population, outdoor activities, and especially climate. Our top picks were...
Flagstaff
Targhee
Grand Junction
Corvallis
Ashland, Or
Santa Maria, Ca
Ellensburg
Although it didn't have the highest score due to the high cost of housing, we chose Ashland in southern Oregon.

Back