• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

head light upgrade for 83 r100rt

C

cactuspat

Just returned from trip to Big Bend,To and,from the Bend we detoured through the hill country of Texas at night,to stay at friends house.deer,deer,and more deer,the old eyes are not what they used to be.Is there a upgrade bulb that would be suitable in stock can? The the ome is 60/55watt. Would appreciate any comments.

I put an H4 Sylvania SilverStar in mine. I believe it was an 85 watt version. I got it a the local auto parts store. They also had some bluer versions, but I don't think those work as well. It was an improvement. However the bigger improvement was getting the headlight properly aligned. Mine was aimmed too low which made a big difference.

I know there are many driving light kits as well as HID retrofit kits for the existing headlight. The retrofits will always start an argument.:fight Based on what I have read and my background in lighting, I will not retrofit mine. I may add a set of driving lights at some point. But the system works fairly well as it is now.

If you add the higher wattage bulb be sure to check the connections and wire. It will pull a fractionally higher load and if everything is not in good order you could have a heat problem.

Last edited:
How does the relay kit improve the lighting? The later model bikes have high quality relays built in from the factory. Is it a wiring upgrade that reduces loss?

Hid

I put a HID light in my R80 with a Hannigan fairing. Two things I noticed was the improved lighting, not only does the light go farther ahead but side to side is better. On a two lane road the ditches are lit up. Second is with the HID my volt usage has dropped according to my gauge. Good luck and don't be afraid to ask questions someone here will help and you will get great advise. Kevin

How does the relay kit improve the lighting? The later model bikes have high quality relays built in from the factory. Is it a wiring upgrade that reduces loss?

Actually if you study the Airhead headlight relay installation, you'll conclude its sole purpose is to disconnect the lighting system from the ignition key so as to permit the park position on the key. It does nothing to "protect the switches" or assure full voltage.

Nevertheless, there's no light that's going to come out of the standard headlight that's going to be much improvement. Intstallaion of auxiliary lights is the better solution, but make sure only one is lit at any time as the alternator can't handle more.

Sumran,

BMWs are wired so that the full headlight current runs through the handlebar switch. Llittle tiny wires, lots of connectors -> measurable voltage drop due to resistance. Even a small amount of drop will yield a significant loss in light output. And because the stock wiring and switches are right at the edge of their capacity, drawing more current through the stock system (as with a higher-wattage bulb) is very likely to cause something to heat up too much and give way.

Sumran,

BMWs are wired so that the full headlight current runs through the handlebar switch. Llittle tiny wires, lots of connectors -> measurable voltage drop due to resistance. Even a small amount of drop will yield a significant loss in light output. And because the stock wiring and switches are right at the edge of their capacity, drawing more current through the stock system (as with a higher-wattage bulb) is very likely to cause something to heat up too much and give way.

Thanks. That could make a difference

I use an Eastern Beaver relay kit (lazy man's solution) and a Raybrig 55/60 bulb (expensive but way better than any other H-4 bulb I've tried, and I believe I've probably tried them all).

Back