Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 20

Thread: Centerstand

  1. #1

    Centerstand

    An earlier post talked about getting a bike off the centerstand. My problem is getting the bike on the centerstand. I weigh 140 lbs (I lift weights and am in good condition) but I can't get the bike on the centerstand no matter how hard I pull, tug, lift..... I folllow instructions by standing next to bike, place my left hand on the left grip ( straighten out bike), push down on the centerstand with my right foot,
    with my right hand I grip part of the frame , and pull back..like crazy. Nothing happens. Help.

  2. #2
    not so retired henzilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    CENTEX USA
    Posts
    10,321
    what model bike?
    Steve Henson-Mod Team and SABMWRA Prez

    Be decisive, right or wrong.The road of life is paved with
    flat squirrels who couldn't make a decision~unknown

  3. #3
    Man, I wish I weighed 140 lbs again.

    I can't believe it takes 50 lbs of belly fat to lift a BMW onto its center stand. Maybe it's a balance thing.

  4. #4
    Braz J Brase's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Central Indiana
    Posts
    672
    Quote Originally Posted by dachstom View Post
    with my right hand I grip part of the frame , and pull back..like crazy. Nothing happens. Help.
    Try pulling UP and back - mostly up - and see if that helps.

    John

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by dachstom View Post
    ... I place my left hand on the left grip ( straighten out bike), push down on the centerstand with my right foot,
    with my right hand I grip part of the frame , and pull back..like crazy. Nothing happens. Help.
    Try facing the bike hands placed as you noted. Then use your left foot and shift your weight to the right while pulling back. Don't try to lift the bike. Try to "pull" it onto the stand.

    Keep the side stand down until you get the hang of it. Just remember, don't try to lift. You'll hurt just "yo'sef"!

    ~ Jim

  6. #6
    Registered User thompsonr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Topeka Kansas
    Posts
    390

    Center

    Make sure you have the bike strait up. I push the center stand down with my right foot on the foot bar of the center stand till it touches the ground ( left leg of the stand) then push the bike away from me till the right leg of stand touched the ground. Step down on stand lift up and back on bike.
    R and R

  7. #7
    Goibnui
    Guest

    Centerstand

    Another point to remember if you have a bike with saddle bags and travel trunk, either have the bike in neutral or pull in the clutch. with weight on the rear, the rear wheel does not come up easily and puts enough drag that I have trouble at 225# with the bike in gear! With the clutch pulled in, it is a piece of cake.

    Steve

  8. #8
    taller than wide GRANTMACEACHERN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Ontario
    Posts
    171
    Quote Originally Posted by Goibnui View Post
    Another point to remember if you have a bike with saddle bags and travel trunk, either have the bike in neutral or pull in the clutch. with weight on the rear, the rear wheel does not come up easily and puts enough drag that I have trouble at 225# with the bike in gear! With the clutch pulled in, it is a piece of cake.

    Steve
    that's what i was thinking. despite never having an issue with putting my GS on the stand, a few times i was trying to pop it up onto the stand wondering why it wouldn't go. a quick check to notice it was still in gear made me feel pretty dumb. oh well.

    interestingly, my old airhead RS was much more of an effort to get it on the centre stand than my big GS. Even fully loaded the GS almost gets onto the stand itself. I barely have to lift it.
    g r a n t

  9. #9
    Registered User stkmkt1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Tremont, IL
    Posts
    698

    centerstand

    You are not using the correct technique. The secret to putting a bike on the center stand is to use your foot to push down on the centerstand lever while gently pulling up and back on the bike. I ride a bike from the 70's that weighs in at about 550 lbs. Many people are amazed at how easy I put it on the center stand. But if you let your foot do most of th work, you will find it much easier. I'm buying a new GSA and recently tried its centerstand. Compared to what I face with my antique Honda, the BMW feels like it weighs about 100 lbs. I could not believe how easy it goes up. It is almost as if it goes up by itself. Once you get the technique down, you will laugh at others who struggle to get their bikes on center stands. Oh, by the weigh, I'm a little guy, 5'6.

  10. #10
    BUDDINGGEEZER
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by stkmkt1 View Post
    You are not using the correct technique. The secret to putting a bike on the center stand is to use your foot to push down on the centerstand lever while gently pulling up and back on the bike. I ride a bike from the 70's that weighs in at about 550 lbs. Many people are amazed at how easy I put it on the center stand. But if you let your foot do most of th work, you will find it much easier. I'm buying a new GSA and recently tried its centerstand. Compared to what I face with my antique Honda, the BMW feels like it weighs about 100 lbs. I could not believe how easy it goes up. It is almost as if it goes up by itself. Once you get the technique down, you will laugh at others who struggle to get their bikes on center stands. Oh, by the weigh, I'm a little guy, 5'6.
    +1. The harder you step on the center stand, the easier she goes up.

    Ralph Sims

  11. #11
    On the Road
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Greenville&Edisto Island SC
    Posts
    54
    I had a heck of a time learning to get my Roadster up on the center stand. Here is the drill:

    1 Stand at the left side of the bike while it is on the SIDE stand.

    2 Push the center stand down with your RIGHT foot until it contacts the ground.

    3 With your left hand, and still holding the center stand down, push the bike, over, away from you, carefully, until BOTH legs of the center stand contact the ground.

    4 Now, with your right hand, pull rearward on the bike's frame while pushing downard on the centerstand.

    5 Notice, I did not sat to pull back on the handlebar; this is not needed. when you do the procedure correctly.

    The motorcycle will easily rotate up on to the centerstand.

    The trick is to get BOTH legs of the centerstand to contact the ground. The first time you do it, it may feel as though you are going to push the bike over and lose it.

  12. #12
    BUBBAZANETTI
    Guest
    focus on the FOOT

    not the arms

    i can put most bikes on their centerstand using my hands just for balance, push down hard with your foot, you're using it as a lever. when you get good, you can do it barefoot.

    don't ask me how i know.

  13. #13
    How cold was it? shoeman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Lake Wabaunsee, Kansas
    Posts
    444
    Where do you grease the centerstand?
    Jim Johnson, OP Kansas
    Marcus Aurelius: "The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane."

  14. #14
    No sweat. I finally got the technique down. The bike goes up like a charm. Thanks for all the assistance. ( Now I don't feel like a whimp).

  15. #15
    DZIMBRIC
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Goibnui View Post
    Another point to remember if you have a bike with saddle bags and travel trunk, either have the bike in neutral or pull in the clutch. with weight on the rear, the rear wheel does not come up easily and puts enough drag that I have trouble at 225# with the bike in gear! With the clutch pulled in, it is a piece of cake.

    Steve

    You actually do that with the bike in gear???

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •