• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Black 3M tape that shines white at night

It works. The downside is that there are much brighter options available.

3022135474_2a000a4410.jpg

Used it alot while in the Navy years ago. Works well but not as bright as more conventional reflective tape, Looks and blends in better in the day light however.

The black tape is almost invisible during daylight on my metallic brown CLC. At night its a different story as the bike is much more visible when illuminated by other vehicles lights. I placed several pieces of the tape on both sides of the bike as well as surfaces in the rear (top & side bags) for maximum visibility. Great product. Ride Safe :clap

I was goin to add this black reflective tape to the saddle bags of my RT.

Posts 19, 20 and 21 in this thread show how well 3M Solas works on luggage, or anywhere else for that matter.

You can also install the material under the reflector lenses if your side bags and/or top case have them; ie GiVi. See this thread.

Alex, I've been following that post you linked.
I'm leaning towards the pre-cut decals that are specifically for the RT saddle bags.

They are not the brightest and thats okay, they wont mask the signal lights.

My only concern is how well do they hold up, will they last for years to come or start cracking and peeling and making a mess of the saddle bags.

My only concern is how well do they hold up, will they last for years to come or start cracking and peeling and making a mess of the saddle bags.

I've had the black reflective tape on my panniers for 4 riding seasons or 55,000 miles. They have remained attached to the cases as well as the day as I put installed them, with no peeling or cracking. They appear to be just as bright when headlights shine on them.

Alex, I've been following that post you linked.
I'm leaning towards the pre-cut decals that are specifically for the RT saddle bags.

There is a type of reflective tape that does peel off in bits, sort of like the licence plate validation stickers some states and provinces use. It isn't very durable and you'll make a career of removing the stuff if you decide to remove it.

A thought...maybe use some 3M Paint Protection Film over the reflective material going beyond the edges by at least a half-inch. Check to see if it affects the reflectivity.

Used it on my K1200S.
See next post

Attachments

• DSCN3610-1.jpg
    DSCN3610-1.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 921
Last edited:
WORKS GREAT!:burnout
See previous post

Attachments

• PB110251-1.jpg
    PB110251-1.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 650
Last edited:
Geno, Nice job.
Alex, I wonder how it would work if the protective file was put down first and the reflective decals put over the protective file. This might make remove the decals at some point a lot easier.

From what others have said, this stuff is very durable and long lasting, see Paul's post. I would hate to have to remove it though.

Fred, are you talking from experience? LOL

Alex, I wonder how it would work if the protective film was put down first and the reflective decals put over the protective film. This might make remove the decals at some point a lot easier.

It sure would. Great idea, but then the film wouldn't be protecting the reflective film since that was your concern.

I saw some reflective tape where I bought the 3M High Grade Prismatic film that looks just like the reflective strips used on Aerostich suits (but the stuff isn't cloth). That 3M product wasn't very durable and could be torn.

I do remember having to remove the sticky residue from the bags on a used BMW that I bought. It took a while because it was mostly dried up.

Back