• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

"BMW R100RS" Engine Stamping

brprider679

Does anyone know which years the R100RS engines were stamped with "R100RS" on the cover. I've noticed some only are stamped "BMW" and others are stamped "BMW R100RS". Why is this?

It appears that this was done only for the '76 through '78 models. Ian Falloon's book mentions that beginning with the '79 models, the engine badges on either side only indicated BMW rather than the particular model or capacity.

It was just a styling thing and looks like they changed their minds for 1979.

It appears that this was done only for the '76 through '78 models. Ian Falloon's book mentions that beginning with the '79 models, the engine badges on either side only indicated BMW rather than the particular model or capacity.

It was just a styling thing and looks like they changed their minds for 1979.

Really weren't any '76 1000s in the USA.

It also perhaps has a lot to do with the fact that beginning in 1979 there was only one version of the 1000 cc engine in a given year. It is certainly a parts rationalization move, too, as sales were slipping badly in '78-'79.

Really weren't any '76 1000s in the USA.

Phil Hawksley's website shows 59 R100RS bikes produced as 1976 models (built May and August 1976) that are on the "US" side of his page.

I didn't see that the original poster said one way or the other whether it was a US model or not. I was just saying that there were R100RS models produced for the '76 model year. I assume that they also had the model specific engine badge.

Kent is right on this one. "Produced in '76" is not the same as "released for sale in the US as a '76 model year machine. R100 series bikes in any configuration (/7, S or RS)were not available in USA until 1978.
In a similar vein, my 2001 R1100S Light (only year offered) has a manufacture date of June, 2000.

Kent is right on this one. "Produced in '76" is not the same as "released for sale in the US as a '76 model year machine. R100 series bikes in any configuration (/7, S or RS)were not available in USA until 1978.
In a similar vein, my 2001 R1100S Light (only year offered) has a manufacture date of June, 2000.

Looking at the serial numbers on Phil's website, I find the following approximate numbers of bikes built in these calendar years for 1000cc bikes with "US" numbers:

R100/7 - before September 1976 -- 40
- Sept 1976 to Aug 1977 -- over 3000

R100S - before September 1976 -- 100
- Sept 1976 to Aug 1977 -- 1300

R100RS - before September 1976 -- 60
- Sept 1976 to Aug 1977 -- 1500

That's about 6000 bikes produced in Germany, destined for the US, but NOT delivered to the US? I find that hard to believe that at least a good portion of those bikes were not already in the US in 1977. Doesn't make sense that they would stock pile them for that long.

The traditional information is that bikes built through August of a given year are considered models for that year. Beginning in September of a year, the models were considered as part of the next year models. August was the annual period of change over to the new models and assembly lines, parts, etc., were changed for the switch. Sure there are some deviations to this but has been the general idea.

One such deviaition is my '69 R69S. I emailed BMW and asked for a trace on my VIN. They informed me that the bike was built Mar/Apr 1968 but sold as a 1969 model to a US serviceman...that is what it is currently registered as. Of course, back then, they weren't making as many bikes per year and could probably afford to "build ahead" and distribute them as needed.

As for your R1100S, I notice that every place that lists BMW models, including BMW's, doesn't show the R1100S model. Since it was a one-time year offering, I could see where they might have built models ahead of time and released them later.

oops. typo on my part- R100 series first available for sale in US in '77, not '78.
fact remains that '76 production bikes were sold as '77s.
BMW traditionally releases new models in Europe the year preceeding its US release, so a R100RS should have been available in EU in '76, but not US.

My "light" is/was a CF festooned model, with BCR bits (5.5" wheel, steering damper, sport shocks, etc) but all inner workings were identical to the std models, first released in '99 in US.

Back