• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Is Hi-Viz that bad?

N

nevada72

I've been researching gear for my upcoming travels. Of particular interest is the high visibilty gear. I was pegged by a car (cop car!) that didn't see me a while back and a neighbor just bought the farm when a lady backed out of her driveway in front of him. She didn't see him. I'm pretty comfortable with the idea Hi Viz clothing, but when I shopped around it seems that Hi Viz is like putting training wheels on your bike to many people. I'm not sure what kinds of riders these comments come from - Harley types? - Sport bike riders? - just don't know. So, how do BMW riders feel about Hi-Viz?

Btw - here's the helmet I just ordered -

I'm also getting a Yllw Mil-spec vest and I might even get some white and HI Viz yellow graphics put on my bike.

Hi Vis

As a MSF Rider Coach I try to instill in my students to "Ride your own Ride" I stress this when it comes to bike, attitude, risk and clothing. I make sure I show them my bright Yellow jacket and helmet.

I love when my buddies make fun of me when they say they saw me on the road.

M reply: YOU SAW ME

Have a safe trip

I have a hi-viz Roadcrafter. I've gotten compliments on it; I've also been told I look like stalk of celery. I believe in hi-viz. Still, I want to appear competent rather than like I'm wearing a sign that says: Please don't hit me. Therefore I don't wear my reflective vest over the hi-viz Roadcrafter and try not to overdo it with the reflective tape on the back, etc.

But you can only do so much. :rolleyes You still have to ride like they don't see you.

I thought these stick on arrows looked interesting, you make a head check and the arrow gives a little extra "intent":

412668465_iDq5H-O.jpg

Offered by Aerostich Here

Last edited:
High-Viz is GOOD! :thumb

jdm-gig2.jpg

Honestly, I've heard more good comments than bad regarding my High-Viz AST, and the "bad" comments are from people whose opinions don't matter to me. When I go to work, after getting off the highway (long straightaway) I turn left and go over the highway on an overpass. I had a coworker tell me that he could see me from nearly a mile off. Might be a bit of an exaggeration, but that kind of visibility is worth something if you ride a lot. My riding friends like that they can see me in the distance if I'm leading a group and we get spread out too much.

One thing to prepare yourself for if you get something like the AST: Some sportbike riders and a HUGE percentage of "cruiser" riders are not going to wave anymore. The difference between me wearing a black/gray Rev'It jacket and my high-viz AST is night and day - I wave to all, but most won't acknowledge me at all. So be it.

High-Viz

I like to make myself as visible as possible, don't care what others think!!
I'd rather have one person see me before they hit me than have hundred's come and see me for the last time while I'm lying in a pine box!!

Cheers,
Ian:drink

Honestly, I've heard more good comments than bad regarding my High-Viz AST, and the "bad" comments are from people whose opinions don't matter to me.

So you only listen to and/or acknowledge folks who are in agreement with you?
You may as well skip this post.

While in my "other vehicle" I note motorcyclists as to what they are wearing and what drew my attention to them.

#1 was a modulating headlight.

Down there w/ loud pipes was HiViz clothing. HiViz sure looks bright in the sea of grey, black, slate blue gear on the dealers rack.
Out on the road an approaching bike obscures most of the rider/passenger.
So, what they have on is also obscured. At night is another matter. In low light conditions all color goes neutral.
Anything reflective is a plus. Especially in foggy conditions. Reflective also draws zero current. Let the others lights illuminate you.

I wave to all, but most won't acknowledge me at all. So be it.

That's what I'm starting to figure out! Why should that be? When I see a guy wearing a Hi Viz vest I always think "That's an experienced rider.". Now I get the idea that someone wearing Hi Viz is considered lame by other riders. I guess I should factor in that half the people I see riding around here wear no helmet, let alone Hi viz apparel so I'll consider the source.

At the end of the day, I don't really care what others think of my attire. I'm just surprised it's a factor at all. Should it ever come up, my response to detractors will be - I do care about my appearance. That's why I'm wearing Hi Viz. To stay good looking. :)

So, what they have on is also obscured.

That's a good point. My main concern is others not seeing me as I approach. That's the reason why I ordered the Hi Viz helmet. I'm pretty tall and ride a R1100R with Lexan shield. Between the helmet and vest, those in front of me should have a clear view of the Hi Viz gear. I also plan on adding two Hi Viz stripes across the bottom of my fairing. The modulating headlight is a good one too. I'm also looking into that.

And please, don't get the idea I am some timid rider just waiting to get killed. I've been riding since I was 5 and I'm very comfortable riding pretty much any conditions or traffic density. I've ridden all around the Dominican Republic and they are insane. If anything, I'm a bit aggressive as I like to pay more attention to what I'm coming up on rather than what's coming up on me. I pretty much stay on the gas and assume no one sees me. Cars waiting at, or approaching stop signs are my biggest red flag. I just think of Hi Viz as one more thing that might help. No guarantees.

So you only listen to and/or acknowledge folks who are in agreement with you?
You may as well skip this post.

By "bad" I didn't mean contrary to my beliefs. I'm not talking about "Hey, I don't think high-viz works" which would be a valid opinion. I'm talking about useless comments like:

"That jacket bright enough?"
"Where's your snowmobile?"
"I wouldn't be caught dead in that" (yeah, neither would I)

You get the idea.

While in my "other vehicle" I note motorcyclists as to what they are wearing and what drew my attention to them.

Down there w/ loud pipes was HiViz clothing. HiViz sure looks bright in the sea of grey, black, slate blue gear on the dealers rack.
So, what they have on is also obscured. At night is another matter. In low light conditions all color goes neutral.
Anything reflective is a plus. Especially in foggy conditions. Reflective also draws zero current. Let the others lights illuminate you.

I have a modulating headlight on one of my two bikes. Although I don't use it all the time (basically use it on more "deserted" country roads to help combat the stop sign runners), I am going to disagree that the high-viz is mostly obscured. From the side, you are very visible. From the back, again, lots of visibility. From frontal angles say, 20 degrees from dead-center on (maybe 25-30 if you're on a bike with a massive fairing), you get a lot of jacket in view. These angles are going to cover a large range of situations.

As for angles close to frontal dead-center, even there you have some view. On my GSPD (my bike with the largest frontal coverage), you can still clearly see high-viz arms and the top part of the jacket (shoulder-collar), so I think overall it gives very good visibility and is very helpful.

The Scorpion helmet posted earlier is probably even better. I know white helmets have been statistically safer to wear - I wonder if the high-viz will be as good. It's probably much better than the black one I own, but it was the last Arai they had and it was a good price. :)

As for DEAD CENTER, it's going to depend on the bike and the size/stature of the person.

. I just think of Hi Viz as one more thing that might help. No guarantees.

Bingo!

Never rely on others for your safety!

I'll pack my own parachute, thank you.

Growing up, I saw construction workers wearing whatever they wanted. Then I started seeing them wearing those orange vests with little areas of reflective materials. Now I am seeing them wearing high-viz t-shirts that match my Olympia jacket, and some wearing high-viz vests with reflective pieces. Basically, they've been transitioning to better visibility for years. If it didn't do any good whatsoever, why go to the trouble of wearing the high viz? Think the government/DOT have done studies to figure out how to make those workers safer?

Every little bit helps. Like "nevada72", it something that helps. Do I rely on it? Never, but I don't really rely on anything 100%, which is why I travel with a spare alternator rotor, tire irons/patch kit, spare bulbs, etc when I'm riding through the middle of nowhere.

hi viz

On a recent trip to Ireland and other European countries I noticed everyone associated with highway and police work was wearing Hi Viz of various descriptions. If it is so bad, why are they all wearing it??

I have had an Aerostich Darien in HiViz for at least 7 years. Yes, I get negative comments but most are from people who's opinion does not count.

By "bad" I didn't mean contrary to my beliefs. I'm not talking about "Hey, I don't think high-viz works" which would be a valid opinion. I'm talking about useless comments...

Sorry, can't hear them w/ earplugs in... Then again I can't hear road noise either... That doesn't make me an unsafe rider. AND for whatever reason they are HiViz! :D

But, with the subject at hand I wont project my perceptions on what another is seeing. I base mine on what I see and I adjust accordingly.

As far as commenting on gear? They're usually from posers. They carry no merit.

Lastly, I wave to everything from my R1200C Cruiser... Some wave back some don't. I don't take it personally on the latter. :brow

Yikes! I thought Hi Viz was a hot topic! My search on modulation of headlights turned up some real heated debates. I guess that's the internet for you.

That said, I'll get the Kisan modulator -

It simply goes between the headlight harness and headlight, inside the bucket. Quick, simple, and I hope, effective. Some find them annoying, but I don't. I also find they catch my attention. I guess I'll just go by my personal experience on that one rather than wade through the pages of arguements.

Love my Olympia Airglide Hi Viz jacket so much, thinking about getting a matching colored suit for Winter riding. :heart

My current winter jacket- a Belstaff Adventure is black and grey with large purple panels. Very colorful but no where near as bright as with the Airglide.

Yikes! I thought Hi Viz was a hot topic! My search on modulation of headlights turned up some real heated debates. I guess that's the internet for you.

That said, I'll get the Kisan modulator -

It simply goes between the headlight harness and headlight, inside the bucket. Quick, simple, and I hope, effective. Some find them annoying, but I don't. I also find they catch my attention. I guess I'll just go by my personal experience on that one rather than wade through the pages of arguements.

That's the model I have on my R80. I still need to buy one for the GSPD. Although there is no knowing for sure, I think they have stopped the "barely rolling stop" people out in the country from ending up in my path. I've see a few "I'm slowing..." "WOAH! BIKE!" types of events - you can usually tell when they appear to be going too fast coming to the stop and then the nose of the truck/car dives drastically. I'm still wary of intersections but I like having the modulator. There was a pretty heated discussion on advrider about modulators where some were... shall we say, more than unhappy with them. Like grafikfeat said, I can't see it from my side, although I've seen other bikes with them and it doesn't bother me.

Headlight Modulators

I first saw them a couple of years ago and thought "that guy must have a short in his headlight". But I did notice him quicker than I did riders without one. I live in the country and folks out here tend to make rolling stops. I have one on my Honda and on my GS PD as well. I also have a bright yellow jacket with armor in it and wear a helmet. After spending 27 years in the military, I believe in getting as many odds in your favor as possible!

Back