• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Is Hi-Viz that bad?

Although much has been said and more will be said here regarding this subject to me it boils down to this.
Wear what you feel works for you.
Who cares what others think or say.
+1. One of my pals from the Boston PD saw me riding, and said: "You look like the German Federal Police!" Works for me...:thumb

I see a lotta posts about guys being concerned about how they look.
Isn't that a Harley issue?
:stick
Seriously. That would be my last concern.
If I cared how I looked I'd never leave the haus.

Really now.

Be concerned with being seen.

I think the consensus of opinion is that Hi-Vis (including white helmets, loud jackets, brake lights that flash before staying on, and three headlights) DO WORK. By "work," I mean far fewer drivers ignore you. And that is a big plus. It reduces the number of times the rider has to do something quickly to avoid an accident. In these panic situations it is not unknown for even BMW riders to screw up.

On the other hand, there is solid information that a small percentage of motorists ignore the sirens and flashing lights of emergency vehicles. Do you think those folk are going to see you on a bike no matter what you wear or the lights on your bike?

So, I think Hi-Viz is great (and I need to add things beyond that full-face white helmet) but I also think that the old advice "ride as if you are invisible" holds.

Hi-Viz is simply one way of reducing the odds that you will die riding your motorcycle. There are countless other ways, and you have read about them, maybe even done the practice. But the odds never go down to zero. Reducing them is not a bad thing.

You've all heard the expression, "There's no such thing as bad publicity." IMO, visibility (as it pertains to being seen on a motorcycle) falls into that same category. I have a hi-vis jacket that I wear often, especially if my planned route includes more heavily traveled roads. It's impossible to be too conspicuous to other drivers.

I will keep my hi-vis, and I love it.

My friends have been instructed should I be hit and am unable to make to the prosecuting attorney or court, they are to take the cut off remains of the jacket for me, so when the perp says I did not see him, you can ask how in the world that is possible. You think the jacket in court would not have an effect on the jury and or judge.

Rod

Back