• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

BMW Recommended Final Drive Service Changes

K

karasek

I haven't seen it mentioned yet but BMW has changed the final drive oil change to 12k miles or 2 years on the new final drives. I didn't see it mentioned in Bill Shaw's recent article in the November issue of BMWON so I thought it should be mentioned. Sorry if it has, I don't frequent the forums much. This change took place awhile ago (along with new drain/fill plug positions) but hasn't seem to got out much. Dealers won't see this as a requiement on their maintenance schedules unless they are dealing with a newer bike (aka 2008MY). It applies to motorcycles under the new "dynamic maintenace" schedules.

"Dynamic Maintenance Schedule" ????

I haven't seen it mentioned yet but BMW has changed the final drive oil change to 12k miles or 2 years on the new final drives. I didn't see it mentioned in Bill Shaw's recent article in the November issue of BMWON so I thought it should be mentioned. Sorry if it has, I don't frequent the forums much. This change took place awhile ago (along with new drain/fill plug positions) but hasn't seem to got out much. Dealers won't see this as a requiement on their maintenance schedules unless they are dealing with a newer bike (aka 2008MY). It applies to motorcycles under the new "dynamic maintenace" schedules.[/QUOTE]

Well that is a new one on me...as for FD lube change...in late winter '07 BMW finally issued a bulletin specifing that the FD lube be changed at the '600 mile check' to a BMW Syn 75W90....no more of the silly 'sealed for life, never need to change lube' FD bunk.

Please elaborate on this "dynamic schedule" and why wouldn't ALL BMW dealers see this information?

Please elaborate on this "dynamic schedule" and why wouldn't ALL BMW dealers see this information?

Let me clarify a little. All BMW dealers have had this information since September, which was when they received their latest update for their RSD (Repair Service Data).

The dynamic schedule is something BMW introduced with the 2008 models along with the service indicator on the CAN BUS motorcycles. For 2008 and newer models they plug in a bunch of information on when the bike was serviced and it will create a list of what needs to be done, what is due soon, and what isn't due. Gone are the days of services (6k, 18k), inspections (12k, 24k), and annual inspections. This change can also be seen in the newer (2008) owners manuals where the service records are recorded. The manuals will no longer show service, inspection, or annual inspection, but instead when the bike is due (date or mileage) for its next service.

Anyways, if your dealer was to bring up a schedule for a 2008 model it will now show that an oil change in the final drive is done every 12k miles or 2 years. If the dealer brings up a schedule for a 2007 or earlier it won't show the final drive oil change.

Cheers!

Is 60K a good interval for an air filter change? That's what BMW's flex schedule calls for in the auto group. LOL with the variable service plan.
robert

So the bike is using the car technology, right? My wife's 525I tells us when it needs service (key can be "read" by the service program at the dealer). Not a bad thing.

Can confirm that dealers are replacing F D lube with synthetic. My 08 RT just got 600 mile check and I specifically was talking to them about that subject . New RT also got new (recalled) EWS ring !

Back