• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

do it all riding pants

testinglogin

Hogaan!
I'm in the market for a new pair of riding pants and I'm looking for opinions.

Currently I have two pair:

Firstgear Air 2.0 - Basically mesh firstgear pants with a rainproof inner liner. These are great for hot weather though I really don't like the "inner liner" design. It's cumbersome if rain starts. I also know the "mesh" is not as protective as other material.

Firstgear HT overpants - These are my "rain/cool/cold" pants. Above 70 they start to get uncomfortable, but they are solid, waterproof, and have a nice insulated liner. They are starting to wear out.

What I would REALLY like to find:

A pair of overpants that will work in all weather. Really, I'd love to see something like my Olympia AST jacket. Waterproof/protective shell (so no stopping to put a liner in), insulated liner for the really cold weather, and then maybe vents you can open/close? Does anyone make anything like this? If it rains I can pull over and close the vents on the Olympia in about one minute - maybe two. That's acceptable to me, but I don't want to be installing a liner to keep the rain away. Vents that open/close would work great for rain and still give me airflow when needed.

fieldsheer highland pants

Fieldsheer highland pants are totally wonderful. I liked them so much I bought a second pair for when the others need washing. They have a full leg zipper, zip out liner, zip vent, big pockets, and I rode in downpours last summer in them and stayed dry on an unfaired bike. They do tend to run small so be sure you check measurements

Really, I'd love to see something like my Olympia AST jacket.

Have you checked Olympia? I'm very pleased with my Olympia Airglide pants.

Oh wait, I just read this and it says that the liner is waterproof. Well, from the amount of rain I've ridden in without the liner, I'm more than satisfied.

I really dig my First Gear gloves, though, so you may be on to something..

MC pants

I purchased a pair of First Gear TPG Escape pants last summer. They are a little warm in the summer, but do have vents on the thighs that help. They have a zip out thermal liner, complete armor (Knox CE, knee and hip)and are advertised as water proof. I haven't ridden in the rain in them yet.

All the pockets are closed with a water proof zipper. The two in front have fleece lining for hand warming and there is a cargo pocket on the right thigh that is very handy for wallet, cellphone, etc. (at least to me). Two pockets in back also.

The fit is more roomy and comfortable that the Darien pants and you feel more protected than the mesh styles.

They are made in Viet Nam. I don't know why I find this intriguing but it does add to the appeal of these very nice motorcycling pants.

I bought them from New Enough who shipped them out very quickly.

HTH,
John

+1 on the Olympia Airglide. I bought the jacket and pants. True, both have liners, and they are waterproof, but they can be removed or installed quickly. The pants have a zipper up the side and are very easy to wear, and they come extra long so they can be hemmed easily. I have worn them in light rain without the liner and stayed dry. Also they are quite cool in the Southern heat. The price cannot be beat! I have only had them a couple months, so only time will tell on their durability.

I'm in the market for a new pair of riding pants and I'm looking for opinions.

Currently I have two pair:

Firstgear Air 2.0 - Basically mesh firstgear pants with a rainproof inner liner. These are great for hot weather though I really don't like the "inner liner" design. It's cumbersome if rain starts. I also know the "mesh" is not as protective as other material.

Firstgear HT overpants - These are my "rain/cool/cold" pants. Above 70 they start to get uncomfortable, but they are solid, waterproof, and have a nice insulated liner. They are starting to wear out.

What I would REALLY like to find:

A pair of overpants that will work in all weather. Really, I'd love to see something like my Olympia AST jacket. Waterproof/protective shell (so no stopping to put a liner in), insulated liner for the really cold weather, and then maybe vents you can open/close? Does anyone make anything like this? If it rains I can pull over and close the vents on the Olympia in about one minute - maybe two. That's acceptable to me, but I don't want to be installing a liner to keep the rain away. Vents that open/close would work great for rain and still give me airflow when needed.

What all do you plan on doing in your do it all pants? Some things you just can't do you know. Well maybe in Anaheim :thumb :wave But definitely not Jamaica.

I was in the market for the same. I ended up getting the Scorpian Duece pants - about $150. I wanted armor, rain protection, cold/wind protection, ventilation, over pants, and something that looked sort of normal. I need them to be useful for cold weather and hot as they will be the one pair I wear when heading out from Wisconsin next week going to Mexico. I'm also tall and a hard fit. I have not used the pants yet, but I'll give you initial impressions. The Dueces showed up and they fit nicely. I'm a 33x34 and the large is perfect. They have an expandable waist (straps) so I'm guessing the range is 33-36. The armor is okay - a little weak on the hip protection, but very good knee protection. They have the inner rain liner which isn't too hard to get into and it doesn't bunch up. Everything looks heavy duty and I expect they will last. Overall quality is pretty much on par with 1st gear apparel I have - not bad at all. There is some mesh and venting so we'll see how warm I stay. I'm thinking they will work well in warm weather with the rain liner removed, but the black will be hot.

Fieldsheer highland pants are totally wonderful. I liked them so much I bought a second pair for when the others need washing. They have a full leg zipper, zip out liner, zip vent, big pockets, and I rode in downpours last summer in them and stayed dry on an unfaired bike. They do tend to run small so be sure you check measurements

It looks like they may have discontinued that model - I can't find anything to buy new except closeout womens. DOH! :banghead

Have you checked Olympia? I'm very pleased with my Olympia Airglide pants.

I've looked at Olympia. My concern with the Airglide is cold weather. I ride in a lot of that - 40's, 30's, 20's, and I think it would get too cold with those. I really like their "Ranger 2" pants but I am concerned they would get too hot as it doesn't look like there are any vents you can open. I'm a bit confused though since the description says "Cool Mesh Airflow Lining". Anyone use these in high heat (Say, mid-80's through 90's) that can comment?

I purchased a pair of First Gear TPG Escape pants last summer. They are a little warm in the summer, but do have vents on the thighs that help. They have a zip out thermal liner, complete armor (Knox CE, knee and hip)and are advertised as water proof. I haven't ridden in the rain in them yet.

All the pockets are closed with a water proof zipper. The two in front have fleece lining for hand warming and there is a cargo pocket on the right thigh that is very handy for wallet, cellphone, etc. (at least to me). Two pockets in back also.

The fit is more roomy and comfortable that the Darien pants and you feel more protected than the mesh styles.

They are made in Viet Nam. I don't know why I find this intriguing but it does add to the appeal of these very nice motorcycling pants.

I bought them from New Enough who shipped them out very quickly.

HTH,
John

These look like a good option. Definitely going on my list. Thanks! :thumb

What all do you plan on doing in your do it all pants? Some things you just can't do you know. Well maybe in Anaheim :thumb :wave But definitely not Jamaica.

Anaheim? I have no idea what you're talking about. :p As for Jamaica, someone would have to be crazy to ride there. :uhoh

Thanks everyone for the suggestions, so far!

So it All Pants

I have been using the Olympia Ranger 2 pants with the AST Jacket. The pants without the liner were fine at speed in 98 degree weather, hot at lights. I have to put the liner in as the temps approach 30, I am on a 2003 RT. I have been near 20 and was still comfortable. The liner is easy to remove and replace, or just put the liners on first the the shells, works fine when the temps swing from 30 to 65 between morning and afternoon commutes!

Steve:type

Everlasting Gobstopper, anyone?

Personally, I don't believe what you're looking for exists; nor can it exist given current technology. The BMW ComfortShell pant probably comes closest, but any fabric that is waterproof is also going to be windproof.

I would suggest either zipping down the leg zips a bit from the top t (o let some heat escape on hotter days, or adding an insulating layer like a fleece pant to the HT Air. Other than that, BMW will be out with Streetguard3 next spring--which looks amazing, though expensive (about $1800 for the suit). The suit incorporates the membrane and armor from ComfortShell with zip-out liners and near UV reflective treatments.

At some point there will be one-piece suits with no bulk that will both heat and cool, and there will be Schuberth helmets available in the US that fit everyone and incorporate a Bluetooth system that is easy to operate and functions perfectly. There will also be world peace at that time.

I vote for the Olympia Airglides. I wear them both with and without the liner. The liner is water proof and depending on conditions and where I am going, I can also wear them over a pair of jeans without the liner. I consider them a great all-round pair of riding pants and when the time comes to replace them, I'll probably just order a new pair.

pants

here are few more thoughts:
1. I currently have a 2 year pair of BMG (British Motorcycle Gear) pants that I bought at the MOA rally in Vermont. They were about 250 bucks and are a very technical pant with many features. Most importantly, they are waterproof on the outside rather than the liner system (jd, i agree with you on the liner bit: if I wanted to stop to install a liner I'd just go for a rain suit). The BMGs also have an insulated liner for cold riding. knee and hip armour, excellent reflectivity and good comfort from day one. Now after about 28,000 km they are starting to show some wear and their age. Some fraying here and there, a hole in one pocket etc. I am generally quite happy with them.

2. I tried a pair of the First Gear pants from their TPG line at the MOA rally this summer in Wisconsin. I was very impressed with the overall design and features of this suit. The price was hard to beat too.

3. The Darien pants seem to be what you are looking for keeping in mind they are an overpant and not strictly a riding pant. I use a Darien jacket and many mixed feelings about it. I rode to Duluth from Ontario this summer to try on a pair thinking I must get them. After trying them on, something wasn't quite right. Being an overpant I found them big and bulky. Naturally they were Aerostich-stiff but I just couldn't get them. The bonus with the Aerostich is that they are heavy duty and you know they will last. With many of these newer suits with lighter nylon liners, small zippers etc they have a feeling they are more geared for fashion and might not last as many miles as you would expect. As I said, my BMG pants are starting to show their wear while the 'Stich is as good as new with the exception of copious amounts of road grime and bugs toning down the Hi-Viz on the front side.

I could go on....

Although I wouldn't turn down a free Rallye 2 suit, I don't agree with the waterproof liner on the inside. Many have said that the outer layer being non-waterproof makes the outer shell get waterlogged after extensive rain riding....therefore heavy.

Although I wouldn't turn down a free Rallye 2 suit, I don't agree with the waterproof liner on the inside. Many have said that the outer layer being non-waterproof makes the outer shell get waterlogged after extensive rain riding....therefore heavy.
Good thoughts, Grant.
Here are my thoughts on the inner rain liner: I have the Savannah II suit. The liner is on the inside. If I get caught in a rain I'm not about to stop, take off my outer wear and then put on the liner and outer wear. I'll either just get wet, or put the liner on over the outside. But even if the coat gets wet, it really doesn't get waterlogged, in the sense of absorbing a lot of water. It's a non-abosorbent type of material that will dry fairly quickly once the rain stops.
I use the liners in cooler weather because without them the suit is pretty porous.

I purchased a pair of First Gear TPG Escape pants last summer. They are a little warm in the summer, but do have vents on the thighs that help. They have a zip out thermal liner, complete armor (Knox CE, knee and hip)and are advertised as water proof. I haven't ridden in the rain in them yet......

HTH,
John

Ridden with these pants and jacket in 2 "frog chokers" at interstate highway speeds with no water intrusion.:D

The Tourmaster Transition 2 jacket is like this too. I don't mind so much that it gets wet, it's that it can get hot and uncomfortable over 75-80 degrees. There are a million vents, but they don't go through the liner, just the outer shell. Otherwise, it's inexpensive and my current favorite jacket.

The Darien pants seem to be what you are looking for keeping in mind they are an overpant and not strictly a riding pant. I use a Darien jacket and many mixed feelings about it. I rode to Duluth from Ontario this summer to try on a pair thinking I must get them. After trying them on, something wasn't quite right. Being an overpant I found them big and bulky. Naturally they were Aerostich-stiff but I just couldn't get them. The bonus with the Aerostich is that they are heavy duty and you know they will last. With many of these newer suits with lighter nylon liners, small zippers etc they have a feeling they are more geared for fashion and might not last as many miles as you would expect. As I said, my BMG pants are starting to show their wear while the 'Stich is as good as new with the exception of copious amounts of road grime and bugs toning down the Hi-Viz on the front side.

I could go on....
I think Grant has the answer for you, Josh.

If money wasn't a factor, I'd recommend either the Darien pants or the Roadcrafter Pants (with bib adapter). You know they'll last and will do the job you're looking for.

I'm looking at the Firstgear Kathmandu pants (NewEnough Link) for colder to moderate temperature riding. They appear well vented for warmer weather, and have a liner for really cold rides. They look like they could be good three season pants.

I have the Firstgear Air 2.0 mesh, too, and I like them a lot. I've worn them to temperatures down to 45 degrees and, while it was a bit chilly it was hardly unbearable. But that 45 degree ride was only 30 minutes and it was dry. I wouldn't want to wear them at that temperature for hours on end or when it was raining. But they're great hot to cool weather pants. Not really a three season pair of pants, but for north Texas they're pretty close.

One other thought... For most parts of the USA, I don't believe there is any all-weather all-the-time gear. IMHO the best you can do is have three season gear that is easily adaptable to the conditions where you live and ride.

Back