• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Chatterbox or Auto Com or What?

P

professor

I need a helmet-to-helmet communication system that will also let me listen to my Zumo. I've heard that Auto Com is the best, but would like to hear some opinions and experiences.

What do you recommend? :thumb

I need a helmet-to-helmet communication system that will also let me listen to my Zumo. I've heard that Auto Com is the best, but would like to hear some opinions and experiences.

What do you recommend? :thumb

First thing you need to do is ask yourself what do I want now and in the near future from a comm system. If it's just rider to pillion and using just a Zumo, don't limit the field to the wired systems, there is some good wireless systems out there and most likely a few new systems or upgrades ready to be introduced before the next riding season.

We have Autocom's for our BTB system's and cannot say enough good things about them. The only want ( a need for me) is a remote volume pot so you could adjust the main volume when needed. Starcom has that feature, but Autocom's flawlessly VOX and quailty components made us go with them. There are good systems out there, find the one that works best for you based on the information you gather. If you can check out systems at a ride in breakfast or club meeting, that would be helpful in seeing how they are installed on different bikes.

Make sure you do a search here on the MOA for threads, there are many.

Thanks for the information. I figured there would already be some threads on this so I searched using "Auto Com" and "communication", but only found one post. I guess I need to learn more about effective searching.

I just purchased an AutoCom Pro Duo and really like it alot. It was pretty cheap from Kahuna cycle in Canada. I found it on Ebay for around $200 less than at my local dealer. It hooks up real easy to the bike and my Zumo. I also have the ability to hook up other devices to it as well wich is a nice option.

I have been using an older Autocom (Active Pro 7)wired to a switched source. It is now on the second bike. I have it wired to the Zumo, which links to my phone vio bluetooth. I also have it hooked up to my iPod. It has been a very dependable and high quality system.

I ended up with Autocom and am very pleased. Good value/quality for the money. Works great with my Zumo.
Went thru the Chatterbox phase and had nothing but problems, granted they were very good about warranty replacement but who needs the hassle? Audio quality on the Autocom is far superior as well.
In this product type, you definitely get what you pay for.
My $.02 worth.

I have a couple Chatterbox units, (FRS and GMXS)worked great the first couple times, then started having issues. One went back and was repaired under warranty, had to replace batteries on both, and the headset on one, and now they don't work again. I'm going to try the Scala Rider next. Should probably bite the bullet and get the Autocom, but like the wireless idea and have seen a number of positive comments here and elsewhere.

I just learned today that the local BMW dealer has quit handling AutoCom and is selling Scala Rider instead. He said they had some warantee problems with AutoCom. I don't know anything about the Scala Rider, but will go take a look tomorrow afternoon. I like the wireless idea too, but need more info on battery life, sound quality, options, etc.

Any Scala experience out there?

I have/had the autocom on GS and took it off. I found I only really needed the music and just went with an ipod and headphones. A lot less hassle.
I had a chatterbox before I got the autocom and found it far superior to the chatterbox.

Grand Rapids BMW is stocking the Scala rider and we may go with it next year. It is supposed to have a range of 1500 yards and now that Kim has her own bike I don't think the cord style communicaiton system is desirable for bike to bike communications.

I had the phone hooked up for a while but the reason I ride is to get away from the stress stuff and the phone is one of them. I have hard enough time in the cage with a phone, sure don't need the distractions on the bike. :bikes

My wife and I use Chatterbox for bike-to-bike comms and have had good luck with the gear. I will continue to use it on my Dakar but plan on putting AutoCom on my RT. I'm debating on whether to get the 1 watt or 2 watt radio. I don't expect to be talking at more than a mile distance. Is there really a big difference between the two radios?

My wife and I use Chatterbox for bike-to-bike comms and have had good luck with the gear. I will continue to use it on my Dakar but plan on putting AutoCom on my RT. I'm debating on whether to get the 1 watt or 2 watt radio. I don't expect to be talking at more than a mile distance. Is there really a big difference between the two radios?

With GMRS its more about the antenna then output wattage. Although more is better, and like wise an antenna with gain mounted high on the bike is better then a rubber duck antenna.

We use Antenex B4502N antennas mounted on top of the top case with Kenwood 3101 radios. 5 mile range is normal in varying terrain.

Do some searching here and on the web.

Hubby has a Starcom1 system (loves it by the way), I've got an Autocom Pro7Sport on my bike. We use Motorola Talkabout radios for bike to bike. You can get a pair for $40-$60 (depending on model) at BestBuy, etc. Since we are rarely more than a 1/4 mile (maaaybe 1/2 mile) apart on the highway, they've never had a problem with getting thru.

Given that a 1watt radio (or more) runs over $100 for one unit, the Talkabouts have worked quite well for us for over 2 years. Only thing we discovered is you need to place the radio so the antenna is vertical.

P

Last edited:
After putting up with the foibles of the Chatterbox system for about a year, I got a Baehr system. A little pricey, but works great. My GPS, MP3, and a cell phone will all work through it(although I have never used the cell phone hookup). Passenger conversations are great at 70 MPH. Love the system.

Wife and I use Starcom 1 units with ICOM F21GM radios, they work very well and are priced well, they also have hookups for the Zumo and separate volume controls are available. We use the RKA In-Charge tank bags and hooking them up was very easy to do (it also keeps the components clean and dry and away from ignition interference).
Larry

Have the ZUMO wired to the AUX output on the radio (K1200LT) and able to use the audio control on the LT. Autocom hard wired to radio. Sound is fine. Also added XM to ZUMO and have MP3's in the ZUMO card slot. Love to ride with tunes:rocker

I just learned today that the local BMW dealer has quit handling AutoCom and is selling Scala Rider instead. He said they had some warantee problems with AutoCom. I don't know anything about the Scala Rider, but will go take a look tomorrow afternoon. I like the wireless idea too, but need more info on battery life, sound quality, options, etc.

Any Scala experience out there?

Yep, been using Scala Rider headsets for almost two years. We just bought the Team Set to able to do bike to bike. Other changes are to the mic boom -- it's longer. Reception and loudness are also better. I will say that having the longer mike boom is nice for making position changes and the set is much much louder and clearer. We were happy with the performance before but the Team Set is hands down superior. We can also connect via BT to multiple devices and the built in FM is nice. The only draw back is that the battery life is only around 8 hours but the way my wife and I use them this is good for an all day ride. We then charge them at night so they're good to go the next day. Bottom line -- we are really happy with Scala Rider. The fact that there ARE NO WIRES is the cherry on top!

StarCom

I purchased the StarCom system from Premier Cycles. The StarCom system is just what I needed. Plig and play. Premier walked me through what I needed to hook up my Zumo, Ipod and CB Radio. The only adjustment was to set the VOX and the rider to rider level. There is no interferience with engine noise at all. The CB radio works great and I use the Midland portable CB 75-822 and it works great without an external antena. I have a RKA in-charge tank bag and everything fits in it as well as the Zumo being mounted on it. All I got to do is unplug the bag and everything stays with the bag. The communication from Bike to Bike works great. I ride with firend who has a Goldwing with a built in CB and intercom and he can't believe that the handheld CB can produce the power and clarity for us to communicate. The sound quality of the speaker is awsome as well. The total package including the Zumo 450 ran around $1100 and it was well worth it. I can take it with me to any bike as long as it has a plug.

I've got the Scala Q2 Teamset and have to say I'm very happy with them. I didn't have the most demanding needs when I bought it, I wanted a wireless system for intercom use, the ability to answer a cell phone call, connectivity with GPS and possible bike to bike comms. So far the Scala has been perfect. The built in FM is hit or miss for me but mainly because I live in an area where FM signals are pretty weak anyway, it would probably work better in a city. They only downfall I can really see with them is battery life, probaby not the hot set up for someone that tours 8 or 10 hours a day but for my few hours at a time they work great.

Back