• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

A true barn find!

beinin

The unfortunate death of my cousin results in another bike to add to the stable.

Here is the "story"!

Years ago Garth and I had looked at this bike in the back of a barn. We talked to our cousin Nate about selling it to us. However, he declined at the time. He said " I'll find out what it's worth and think about it." Nate never got back to us about selling the bike. I put it in the back of my mind after Garth died and started readjusting to life after that tragedy.

Nate, my second cousin, died in a car accident this past spring. His sister Karen, is the "heir" to the estate. Karen told me to "If you come out to the farm and "dig" that old BMW out of the barn. I'll just give it to you. You can fix it, sell it, or whatever you want and use the proceeds for the Garth Eppley Memorial Scholarship Fund."

Woodnsteel came over that past weekend and we uncovered the bike and brought it to my garage. I think I may just fix it and keep it for the memories.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/beinin/2978808502/in/photostream/

good find

it even had the "nail" still in the headlight. Also look for a Dryer BMW dealer sticker. Pop Dryer was the dealer in Indianapolis on the west side of town.

barn finds

I really like barn find stories!

And it'll be nice to keep this in the Eppley family.

A little more information.

It is a 71 the build date on the vin. plate is 11/70. The "nail" was in the ignition, it is now in my toolbox. Speaking of toolbox, it has a box with a black exterior and a white interior, and a full set of tools in the pouch. I have not seen one with a white interior before. Now get this, the odometer reads 01717. It was last plated in 1974. It was purchased from Peru Cycle Center just west of Wabash 15 miles or so. Does anyone know what kind of bags those are? The side next to the frame is molded/contoured to fit around the rear shocks and the tops just lift off after unbuckling one buckle at the rear of the bag.

Yeah, that Z 50 is a hoot! :D I remember seeing it hanging off their combine and grain trucks years ago. We just folded the handle bars down and I put it in the back of Jim's car and hauled it home also. More pictures to follow when I get time.

Turn Siginals

Are those black plastic turn siginals? A 1971 would have a small amber reflector on them.

Are those black plastic turn siginals? A 1971 would have a small amber reflector on them.

Aluminumn turn signal housing with amber reflectors on the side/ends. Also Woodnsteel clued me in that 71s had no battery covers or the lugs welded to the frame to mount them.

Bill, I notice the attachments for a wixom type fairing are still on the triple tree. Did you happen to find one in the barn?

Bill, I notice the attachments for a wixom type fairing are still on the triple tree. Did you happen to find one in the barn?

Yes, I brought it home also. However, I don't think it is a Wixom. :dunno I need to wash it to see if an identy is on it.

Good Luck!

That looks like a lot of work, considerable cash, and most of all, a quite a bit of fun.

Good Luck in your efforts to bring this back to life. Post your progress on this project, it should be very interesting.

the sorrow of neglect

looking at the picture posted of the bike (and others I've seen on the forum), I almost wonder if we shouldn't be aggressively organizing a Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Motorcycles. I mean, after all....

looking at the picture posted of the bike (and others I've seen on the forum), I almost wonder if we shouldn't be aggressively organizing a Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Motorcycles. I mean, after all....

I know this is an old thread.....I see these posts a lot and then there's no update.... Can't blame the owners of these finds. They tucked it away for a future project, they certainly had good intentions, even loved the bikes, then the reality of aging or life's tragedies hits, and "some day" never comes either due to age or infirmities, or even death of the owner. Very sad, and a reminder to us all that none of us are getting any younger, and tomorrow isn't guaranteed.

Back