• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Johnson City/Gray TN Pictures and Report

sheridesabeemer

I Used to Be Someone
This weekend the Board of Director and key Rally volunteers descended upon the Johnson City, TN area.
I didn't have the opportunity to ride the area, I will let others report on that. I did have a chance to tour the rally site,
and I snapped a few shots from the plane that you might enjoy.

I don't recommend flying into Johnson City, but if you must, you will be coming into the tiny Tri Cities airport
plane8zh.gif

2976235422_485472d2fb.jpg

Flying does have its advantages when it comes to aerial pictures.
2976423618_7f9ceb3f9a_b.jpg

Maybe I'll look for this later!
2975569941_918462d448_b.jpg

Dang, I should have brought the bike!
2976424238_8efc16eff2_b.jpg

Vince brought a bike, he got wet.
2976373066_ee968283d0_b.jpg

2976236540_3e89a00711_b.jpg

First stop, registration HQ
2975518883_2ee5268127_b.jpg

How thoughtful! ;)
2975519245_94e99b8ecc_b.jpg

Plenty of Quiet Camping
sleeping.gif

2976373834_0874d445c9_b.jpg

Optimist?
shrug.gif
Check out the quality camping site in the distance!
2976374116_8478c2b0fc_b.jpg

Another shot of the grounds, check out the size of those trees, and there are more where that came from.
thumbsup4kk.gif

2975520027_1a9d537cd2_b.jpg

That's it for now. I have to say I was pleasantly surprised by the size and condition of this site. I'd only seen it in pictures. It was a spacious site, lots of grass, trees, rolling hills. It's intertwined with residential streets, not out on the edge of town. And from what I hear...the riding it quite good!!

This is one of the nicest areas with some of the best rides in the country. The old Sam's gap ride is unbelieveable- on a par with Deal's gap. I used to work in the area and explored a lot of the back rodes.

And the area of three corners, where VA, TN and NC come together offers simply amazing riding. As good as the Smokys without the traffic.

And if you are riding down from New England, you get to go through West Virginia, the most friendly motorcycle state in the union. They even offer a whole "Motorcycle WV" package through the internet.

Can't wait!

This weekend the Board of Director and key Rally volunteers descended upon the Johnson City, TN area.
I didn't have the opportunity to ride the area, I will let others report on that. I did have a chance to tour the rally site,
and I snapped a few shots from the plane that you might enjoy.

I don't recommend flying into Johnson City, but if you must, you will be coming into the tiny Tri Cities airport
plane8zh.gif

How thoughtful! ;)
2975519245_94e99b8ecc_b.jpg

Plenty of Quiet Camping
2976373834_0874d445c9_b.jpg

Optimist? Check out the quality camping site in the distance!
2976374116_8478c2b0fc_b.jpg

Another shot of the grounds, check out the size of those trees, and there are more where that came from.
thumbsup4kk.gif

2975520027_1a9d537cd2_b.jpg

That's it for now. I have to say I was pleasantly surprised by the size and condition of this site. I'd only seen it in pictures. It was a spacious site, lots of grass, trees, rolling hills. It's intertwined with residential streets, not out on the edge of town. And from what I hear...the riding it quite good!!

So they closed the schools and hid the kids when they heard you were flying in? And you view this is a Good thing??? (Oh, and you need to seriously work on your photoshop skills! I could tell in a moment that you had photoshopped the school into the background behind the Welcome sign!)

the quiet camping looks a bit TOO restful IMHO

and there are way too many fences, I can see that seriously impacting mobility on the grounds as we descend in our Hummers and HUV"S en-mass, I assume they will be removed before we arrive next year, right? Regardless of the sign I'm not Optimistic about this at all! :laugh..

RM

Aha, that was THIS weekend! That explains the K1200RS (gt maybe?) rider in the yellow 'stich that went sizzling past me on I-77 in WV while I was on my way from Richmond back to St. Louis on Sunday... I was only doing 80 or 85, didn't stay with him very long, it made me miss my old K-bike a little! I've seen the vanity plate somewhere, but couldn't remember where.

DRKSD indeed! :brow

Looks like a great spot- thanks for posting!

You have some great pictures of the entrance ( upper level ) but none of the lower level where most of us will camp. also no pictures of the flower gardens or any of the Antique tractors that are on site. :nono I've been there many times for dog shows. :stick

Lots of places I didn't get pics!
shrug.gif
It was not easy to hold an umbrella and shoot pics.
We toured the site in cars/vans because of the rain, then we walked around to the buildings.

I wasn't the only one with a camera.
photo.gif
Stay tuned.

Camp Gears
2975520223_b1caa81eee_b.jpg

And the area of three corners, where VA, TN and NC come together offers simply amazing riding. As good as the Smokys without the traffic.

And if you are riding down from New England, you get to go through West Virginia, the most friendly motorcycle state in the union. They even offer a whole "Motorcycle WV" package through the internet.

Can't wait!
I did a search for "Motorcycle WV" and didn't find anything about motorcycling WV. Any more information? Sounds fun.

Rod

My ride down was awesome. Virginia and North Carolina were incredible.

There is one ride that we take (and I took the Chromeheads on during thrie rally) that is truly a ride to remember. From the rally, the ride is between 275 and 300 miles long. Almost 200 is pure mountains and curves. You start from Tennessee and go into Virginia. From Breaks Interstate Park, you pass into Kentucky, then back into Virginia, then into West Virginia and then back to Virginia before you return to Tennessee. I took some folks from New Mexico and Texas on the ride a few weeks ago and the 200 miles (we started ion Marion Virginia) we traveled left them thrilled and exhausted. We plan on doing a write-up on it when the leaves fall so we can get some pictures of some mountains and curves. The leaves hides the good stuff now.

We also plan on mapping out some portions of the ride so those who wants shorter rides can enjoy portions of it. If you ride our roads first, you will be very disappointed with Deals Gap.

Ken

Keep up the posts and pictures!

I, as well as many others are soaking up this thread! I can't wait! Thanks Gail and Board for the pictures:thumb , looking forward to seeing this place up front and in person!
Osbornk, we want more! more! more!:thumb
A newby (sort of) to the BMWMOA!

Red

Is there a bad road in Virginia? I know I couldn't one find last week. I sure tried too!
biker.gif

Back