Thread: Maiden Ride today K75S

Maiden Ride today K75S

Today was the day I made a conscious effort to break away from work to take my "new" '87 K75S out for a ride. Every day the high temp for the day gets lower so today October 23rd which happens to be my half birthday was a jailbreak from work.
    I know it's late in the season but I bought the K bike because I really needed a project to help re-claim my soul again from the constant pressures of my job - lots of DEADlines - I don't want to end up DEAD from them so projects help keep me sane. After being apart for at least eight weeks, I completed the following all by myself and am very astonished and proud for what I did.

I want to acknowledge Gil H. who, early on, stepped up and sent me a PM offering me a DVD on servicing the K75 - the gentleman I bought the bike from bought it as a "second bike" when a shoulder injury prevented him from riding his big muscle bike. Although she looks like a real "cream puff" for her age, he had let her sit in his garage for a couple years and didn't ride her much at all.

The odometer said 30k and when I rode her, she felt tight - I got a good gut level feeling from the ride. After some negotiating on the sell price, I decided to trailer her home because the oil looked dirty and the brake fluid was also pretty dark.

Once home, I got the Clymer manual from the local library and watched the DVD Gil sent me. As I watched the mechanic doing the service, I said to myself, "I can do that." I decided to take my time.

I ordered some parts from Bob's and the first shipment arrived pretty quickly - the key I needed to unlock my locked on luggage bags, an oil filter, spline lube and some other maintenance items. The second shipment of heated grips, handlebar risers and dash switches took a lot longer because they got shipped to the wrong person. Finally, the ever so gracious Don in service overnighted me some new parts from their stock at his expense.

Work completed amounted to: all fluids changed - final drive, tranny, engine oil, rear splines lubed, anti-freeze and DOT 4 brake fluid. Air filter removed, cleaned and replaced. Bought Spiegel front brake lines after installing my handlebar risers and seeing how tight the hose coming out of the reservoir was - turned out to be a good move. Installed a Stebel air horn, heated grips, aux power socket - got this from my John Deere dealer where I get my tractor parts for my JD 112 lawn/snow mower/blower. Got the altitude plug and installing a switch for the one or two times I cross the mountains. Installed the wiring for CATZ driving lights and bought a Tailblazer rear bulb - (is this why my hazard light stays on full red and only goes off when I activate the front or rear brake?).
    The spark plugs looked new - NGK's and I did not check the valves yet - engine sounds good.

Took my ride today and she is a real road burner. Smooth. Stopped for gas and put in some Chevron Techron FI cleaner. If she had wings I would have been flying. Brought my camera as the Fall colors are still pretty good - in dying stage now. Took a secondary road and snapped a picture of a nice farm - the cows were looking at me calmly - just standing around and not stressed out - I love connecting with nature. I saw a dirt road and wished I'd had my F650 with me but the K75 is the smoothest bike I have ever ridden. I experienced the speedo going out and then coming back on and got some condensation on the instrument cluster - I can tell she will be a keeper and I look forward to riding her to the next rally in TN.

Thanks to all of you who helped me figure out how to do all things I did to this bike to get her accessorized, serviced and back on the road.
    Attached Images Attached Images

At The Farm Pic

Stopped to watch the animals on the farm "chew the fat."
    Attached Images Attached Images

A really classic motorcycle. Thanks for sharing your ride!!

Everywhere I go on my K75S I get compliments and people are always so surprised she is 17 years old!

No, you're certainly not DEAD!

Voni
    sMiling
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves/
    Live fully. Laugh deeply. Love widely.
    BMW MOA Ambassador Emeritus / FOM / Roving Forum Moderator/
    Selected Friends of Wile E Coyote/ A Million 100 thousand BMW sMiles

On at least 3 occasions in the last month I've had to tell someone that my K-bike is 20 years old. No one believes it.
    Nik #140220 - '95 R1100RSL | '88 K75C | '77 R100RS | '06 DL650
    '96 R1100RS - R.I.P.
    Maine Airhead A/M
    Helmets don't save lives but loud pipes do?

3 Red Bricks
    +3 Then I tell them to look at the odometer: 100,000+ (s)miles!

The problem with your tailblazer is that you have the wrong one. BTDT.
    You probably got the 10W-D. You need the 20W-S.

With the 20W-S, the bulb monitoring light will be off when the brake light is off and will pulse and go to solid in conjunction with the brake light. The 20W-S is also a bit brighter than the 10W-D.

If you can't get the retailer that you bought it from to give you credit for the exchange (the 20W-D) is slightly more expensive, give the nice folks at Kisan a call. They are great to deal with.

You don't want to stay with the 10W-D because it is very distracting to have the bulb warning light on at night. Plus you will never know when the brake light burns out.

You've got yourself a GREAT bike. I know (x3). They are not the best at anything except SMOOTHNESS, but they do everything pretty well, will run forever with minor repairs, inexpensive and easy to work on, great gas milage, and the S is still pretty sharp looking. Easily 120+mph. Use the higher RPM to makeup for the lack of low end torque of a liter bike in the twisties.

What's the last four numbers of your VIN? Since yours is an '87 like mine, they could be litter mates. Mine is 0081. My two '88s are in the 12-1300s.

You won't lose money on that bike unless an insurance company gets involved. Don't let that happen!

LONG MAY YOUR BRICK FLY!

Ride Safe, Ride Far, Ride Often

Lee Fulton Forum Moderator
    3 Marakesh Red K75Ss
    Mine, Hers, Spare

Hi Lee,

Thanks for your post - My Tailblazer is the 20W S - the sensor just doesn't recognize it. I'll keep it out for the time being.

Last 4 numbers of VIN are 0772 - now will you please tell me what this means?

3 Red Bricks
    Your bike was the 772 U.S. spec. K75S built. Born in Feb. 1987. It was the second to last one built that month. A total of 4600 U.S. spec. K75Ss were ever built from May 1986 (mine) thru Sept. 1994. I would estimate that a third or more are no longer with us (R.I.P.) with the insurance companies tendencies to total these bikes for any reason and peoples decisions to part them out rather than fixing them. But it does make for a great source of used parts.

http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread....riginal+litter

As for your Tailblazer, make sure that both your brake AND taillight are functioning and that BOTH front and rear brake light switches are functioning. If that is the case, you need to call the guys at Kisan because your Tailblazer is NOT functioning correctly. As I said, once you've hit both the front and rear brakes to clear the monitor, the warning light should go out until you apply the brakes again. Then it should mimic the brake light until you release the brake. Then it should go out until the next brake application. If that is not the case call Kisan.

Kisan Technologies, Inc.
    1219 Lake Plaza Dr.
    Colorado Springs CO, 80906 Phone: 1-888-464-5472
    Fax: 719-576-4700

Last edited by 98lee; 10-24-2008 at 07:29 PM.
    LONG MAY YOUR BRICK FLY!

Ride Safe, Ride Far, Ride Often

Lee Fulton Forum Moderator
    3 Marakesh Red K75Ss
    Mine, Hers, Spare

catz driving lights

What model lights do you have? Can you show a pic of the front of your bike with lights and mounting brackets?
    I would like more light but I don't want my bike to look like Frankensteins neck. Yes I would like my cake and eat it too.

Very nice bike you have there!!

CATZ Lights

Hi Don - I bought my second set of CATZ lights from a guy named Jeff on Ebay. He is very service oriented and carries a good product.

He will send you a Word Doc that shows how others have mounted their driving lights on the forks.

My brackets are being made at a local welding shop out of aluminum, per the idea I got from Jeff. He took a 5 inch bar of aluminum and bent it 90 degrees on each end so you have a 3" length from the fork (where you mount the first bend) and to the light where the bend goes into the mounting bracket on the light. You can run wires along the brake lines and use zip ties to neatly tie them up.

I bought a rocker switch and wired it up to my starter relay and grounded it to the frame of the bike. I tied into the green ignition wire so the light is switched. It helps to have a voltmeter to help find the hot wires you will need to find.

I bought an extra rocker switch and would sell it for my cost if you needed it- you can send me a PM if interested. It is brand new.

The link to Jeff's store on Ebay is:

http://stores.ebay.com/ALL-CATZ-LIGHTS

I'd send pics but don't have the brackets back yet from the welder.

If you have anymore ?? you can PM me.

Ken in MN

Carguz

Really enjoyed your story.

I recently got a "new" 85 K100 RS and have also fallen for these classic K's.

I was strictly a British guy with a 78 Triumph T140 Bonny and a couple of MG cars (an '60 A and a '78 B).

This is a whole other level. While the Brits kept nostalgia as a method verging on stubbornness, the Germans embraced technology with assurance.

You mention Gil and a DVD. Can you put me in touch with him? I'm pretty certain, that much of the 75 stuff is applicable to my 100. I want to learn to do a spline lube. I switch out my bars for standard 100 bars ($20. from ebay) and of course switched out the top brake hose. The ride is much more comfortable. I also consider mine a keeper and am riding it more than any other of the vehicles at home.

Thanks.

Carlos

You were smart for doing all the learning + maintenance/restore work FIRST.

Congratulations on a fine purchase, and may you enjoy many miles.

Ride Safely,
    BrickRider

K75 service DVD

Who is Gil?
    How can I obtain this service DVD?
    TIA
    "What is beautiful is simple, and what is simple always works"....Kalashnikov, inventor of the AK-47.
    Current bike: 2015 Yamaha TW 200, modified for road/street use with tire, sprocket upgrades. "Center yourself in the vertizontal. Ride a motorcycle...namaste' "

I Used to Be Someone sheridesabeemer's Avatar
    Enjoy the ride! I'm looking forward to more pictures, the first few are excellent!
    Gail Hatch
    SheRidesABeemer's Blog
    05 R12GS
    87 K75CT

rlswim
    Quote Originally Posted by kentuvman View Post
    Today was the day I made a conscious effort to break away from work to take my "new" '87 K75S out for a ride. Every day the high temp for the day gets lower so today October 23rd which happens to be my half birthday was a jailbreak from work...
    Great acquisition, and a very nice photo that you posted. Nice cropping job with your K and the road.

That is cool when you are willing to try fixing your own motorcycle. It gives one a sense of accomplishment.