• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Camera Mount

globalrider

Alps Adventurer
The following describes a simple camera mount that I came up with using RAM and Manfrotto components.

I don't like tank bags and even if I did, it takes time to unzip and zip up a tank bag or the chest pocket of an Aerostich suit countless times a day...not to mention the wear and tear on the zipper over time. I'm talking about those quick stops while seated on the motorcycle to snap a pic along the way.

I liked the RAM ball that I mounted on the left side handguard of my GS Adventure for my GPS so much, I decided to install another one on the right side for camera mounting purposes. Of course, the two are interchangeable depending on preference.

393390675_nwgtB-L-1.jpg

I also wanted a Quick Release so that any camera can be locked in place and released in a snap.

A Manfrotto Quick Release base mounted to a modified RAM-B-236 ball...
393395282_PVf5A-L-1.jpg

A close-up view of a Manfrotto Quick Release base mounted to a modified RAM-B-236 ball...
393399834_7SR66-L-1.jpg

A Manfrotto Quick Release base mounted to a modified RAM-B-236 ball with the camera mount in place...
393399795_PpUDu-L-1.jpg

The finished product with a camera mounted out of harms way behind the windscreen...
393426174_VBz3U-L.jpg

For those times when an unobstructed view of the road is desired, a RAM double ball and extra extension are installed...
393426194_rn4CM-L.jpg

I can't comment on how vibration or shake-free the set-up in the above photo is. My mount is primarily for storing my camera and having it ready at a snap and not so much for on-bike videoing. This is just a possible option.

For details: R1150 GS Adventure RAM Ball & Manfrotto Camera Mount

I am using Manfrotto 3299 quick change adapters on gadget guy mounts for my GPS, V1, and camera. The 3299 has an additional locking latch.

Rock solid.

I am using Manfrotto 3299 quick change adapters. The 3299 has an additional locking latch.

I ordered the Quick Release off a Manfrotto 715SHB which happens to be the same as my 714SHB Digi Micro Tripod, but with the Quick Release. A great tripod BTW, that is compact and solid for what it is.

I couldn't track down anything on those 3299 adapters on the Manfrotto site. Link or pic?

Back