• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Garmin Nuvi 660 questions

brprider679

Does anyone have an opinion of buying a refurbished Garmin Nuvi 660. Also, I read the batteries last 7 hours - can I wire this directly into my RT someway that would allow me to also move it to my car?

Thanks

I bought a new one, so I'm not sure what all comes with a re-furbed unit.:dunno Mine came with two mounts: one was a handlebar mount for the bike, one was a suction mount for the car. I leave the bike mount permanently mounted to the bike, and can move the unit to any car. Works great. I imagine the re-furbed unit comes with both mounts, also. Good-luck!

My wife has a Nuvi 650 for her car. Nice unit, but I wouldn't even consider it for motorcycle use as it isn't weatherfroof at all.

IMHO you'd be best off to look at at one of the wide range of models that are waterproof.

I have the Nuvi 670 (same as 660 just has European maps loaded too) that I ride with since I had it prior to getting my 12RT. As mentioned, it is not the ideal solution since it is not waterproof, more vulnerable on the vibration issue and lacks the motorcycle friendly features of the Zumo etc.

That being said, I use a RAM mount bracket fastened to the clutch reservoir for riding. I purchased the applicable bracket and a BMW powerlet friendly power cable to plug into my accessory socket up front. Absent additional modifications, there is no "Zumo-like" hard wire power cable solution available.

http://www.powerletproducts.com/

If I was starting from scratch, I don't think I'd pick the 660 for motorcycle applications...I'm just willing to risk it right now since I'm too cheap to drop ~600 on another GPS (Zumo 550)

Yes you can

You can use any Nuvi, just get one of these Aqua Boxes to use your non-waterproof GPS.
I'm using a medium box to hold a Nuvi 5000( refurb 60% off) , and I'm pleased with it so far. At least with the Aqua Box, the jury's still out on the Nuvi... it's no StreetPilot, but the big screen with the modern interface is nice. I just wish I had all the display options on the Nuvi.
Many of the Nuvi's including the 5000 use 12v DC power so you can just cut the wire on any of the ($16 ebay ) power adaptors cables and wire it into the battery. Of course you will need some sort of inline fuse, or to wire it into a fuse block.

404302856_kqmg7-XL.jpg

BTW, all of my non-Apple electronics are ebay factory refurbs, been buying them for years and saving hundreds with no problems.
Why pay more for the same thing as long as it's a factory warranty refurb?

Nuvi?

I had an older NUVI and while it worked well, once again, it was not waterproof. I tried the trick of putting a plastic bag over it, but the humidity fogged the lens. Also, and something I never thought of, I had it mounted on the bars near the fuel filler opening. Fumes from the fuel fogged the plastic lens and it was not covered under warranty. I bought ZUMO and never looked back.
Take care.....

Jeff

Nuvi

I just recently purchased (a month ago) a refurbished Garmin 2730 for $300 and it came with everything for the car and the bike. It is waterproof and made for a motorcycle It comes with a year warranty and I couldn't be more happy with it. All I needed to buy was a mount and I purchased a ram mount for the bike. It's no longer produced because it has been replaced with the 2820 which has bluetooth capability. In it's day the 2730 was top of the line and it still can do all I need for travel on my RT. If you can spend around $900 or so the Zumo 550 is great but I didn't think I needed to spend that much. Good luck. Bob V

Last edited:
You can use any Nuvi, just get one of these Aqua Boxes to use your non-waterproof GPS.

404302856_kqmg7-XL.jpg

Garmin user myself - but the box idea looks real good - question (and pardon the minor hi-jack) how do you access the menu?

Do you have to take the unit out or can the touch sensitive screen still be activated?

NEVER MIND - went to the link .... the Aqua Box 6 holder is a medium/wide size waterproof box with a clear Flex-Lens allowing you to press and operate the buttons of your device when secured in the Aqua Box
Thanks

Back