• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Help! Plastic on pipes!

rogert

I ride a 1999 R1200 C and my question is:
I need advise on how to get melted plastic (WalMart bag) off of my pipes without damaging or scratching the pipes.

Plastic on pipes

I had a sopt on my chrome exhaust canister on a 93 K1100RS,
Used " Never Dull " to get it off.

Comes in a can, gotta rub a bit, but it worked.

U can get that at Wally World too.

Never dull is great stuff. It looks kind of like a gross cotton ball. I used hydrogen peroxide first then never dull to get some shoe rubber off.

I use Bar Keepers Friend. Had a plastic zipper/pant leg melt onto my wife's R12C and we happened to have that around to make the stainless steel sink pretty, and I thought....and sure enough the mild abrasive was enough to remove the plastic as well as other road stuff and bug stuff. Buffed up really nice, no scratching or polish marks. Use it on my K exhaust all the time, too.
Jim Douglas

Easy-Off oven cleaner.

Spray it on when the pipes are COLD. Wait a while, and then clean off.

Good Luck!

I did the same thing with my RS. I rode it for a while before I got around to cleaning it and most of it just cooked to the point that I could clean it off with my finger nails. Then I used Wright's Brass polish. Great stuff. Better than any motorcycle specific stuff and available at about any grocery store.

Oven cleaner work wonders.Spray on when cold let set wash away..

GVPurvis

RE:plastic on pipes

I bought a used low pipe for my R1100R a few yrs back that was cheap but covered with melted bike parts-use acetone or hot lacquer thinner combined with the lowest kind of grit you can to remove-that could be the bar keepers friend or 0000 steel wool or comet or a razor blade held at a sharp angle for the worst. Ideal is a solvent that melts the plastic and results in less abrasion and effort.

Watch the oven cleaner, it will take the finish and/or paint off other surfaces and will strip the finish off engine block. I have an RT but have seen a 1200 C that had the engine block damaged by oven cleaner.

If you are cleaning chrome, extremely fine steel wool works well. 0000 steel wool.

Cleaning plastic off pipes.

Watch the oven cleaner, it will take the finish and/or paint off other surfaces and will strip the finish off engine block. I have an RT but have seen a 1200 C that had the engine block damaged by oven cleaner.

If you are cleaning chrome, extremely fine steel wool works well. 0000 steel wool.

Dito, try 0000 steel wool and car wax worked on my 84 RS pipes. Make sure the pipes are COLD!!

radar

You can also try scaping it off using a razor blade. I had good success with that method on my CLC. You hold the blade almost parallel to the surface.

I melted a strap from my backpack on the pipes of my R1100S. I was on the road, so I just went with it. The plastic very quickly oxidized and went away without a stain. Of course I was concerned that it might flash, but it was far enough away from anything else (body panels, etc.) that I could stop and let it burn if needed.

Yeah, not the smartest method, but you only live once. :rocker

Back