• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Quiet Helmets

brianhinton

2018 Rally Chair
Is there anyone here who has years of riding and owned several helmets that can suggest a very quiet helmet? I have been on the search and due to limited funds can't review them all myself. I have had modular HJC and full faced HJC Shoei and am thinking about trying a Schuberth, but read mixed reviews. Any help would be appreciated.

My Shoei RF 1000 is much quieter than my flip Schubert. My Scorpion EXO 1000 Apollo is quieter than the Schubert or the Shoei.

The Scorpion is not dead quiet, but the wind noise is far less objectionable than the Shoei.

No, but there are some Schuberth closeouts online. BTW, I checked out the Scorpion reviews and I'm more confused now than ever. I guess different head shapes have most to do with everything

I have a Nolan flip-up and the Scorpion 1000. I'd have a hard time telling you either one is quieter than the other. I've recently started wearing Big Ear custom made ear plugs, and THAT'S what makes a big difference.

HJC CL-SP gets my vote

I found a review on Web Bike World that impressed me:
http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/motorcycle-helmet/hjc/cl-sp/

So I bought 2 helmets for my wife and myself. $126 (IIRC) from Newenough.com

I was using an Arai Vector that cost nearly $400. I thought it was noisy and I wasn't happy with the amount of peripheral vision.

The HJC (at 1/3 the price) has a simple visor latching system, and (for me) a less-restricted view out the sides.

Does anyone know anything about the Caberg

The dealer by me who sold them told me that they are not importing them to the US at this time. I need a replacement visor for mine. I've had it sence the Lima Rally and would buy another one in a heart beat. The new Nolan looks OK, but is too heavy. I may try the Jiano next, but I'm going to wait until next spring and check out a few other options.

Does anyone know anything about the Caberg
I don't think they're imported anymore. I found by sheer luck last year and bought it.
Not as quiet as some but not bad. Good quality, very comfy, internal sunshield has me
spoiled rotten. Never own another helmet without one.

Is there anyone here who has years of riding and owned several helmets that can suggest a very quiet helmet? I have been on the search and due to limited funds can't review them all myself. I have had modular HJC and full faced HJC Shoei and am thinking about trying a Schuberth, but read mixed reviews. Any help would be appreciated.

Helmet noise is a very personal thing. I believe it depends on the individual and that what might be noisy to me might be dead quiet to someone else. Head shapes, etc., etc. vary widely as do the shapes and thickness of pads.

Helmet noise is a very personal thing. I believe it depends on the individual and that what might be noisy to me might be dead quiet to someone else. Head shapes, etc., etc. vary widely as do the shapes and thickness of pads.

My Nolan is a LOT quieter when I'm wearing my 'stitch wind triangle, so evidently a lot of the noise is from the wind along the bottom of the helmet. I've always heard that flip-up helmets are noisier than full-face ones. Since I wear glasses and like the convenience of the flip-ups, I'll put up with the noise and wear earplugs.

I was fortunate with the two dealers from whom I purchased the Shoei & Scorpion helmets. One, because they knew me, let me take the Shoei for a ride with no deposit. The Scorpion dealer asked for a credit card to be left as collateral and permitted me to test ride the helmet. Besides being quiet, it has the drop down sun visor.

I was really disappointed with my first helmet that it was so noisy and so expensive. That's why I test rode the next two. Of course, all helmets do require ear plugs, no matter how quiet they may be.

Resign yourself...

...to wearing earplugs. That's what I did, and I'm much happier and enjoy my riding much more since doing so.

My Nolan N100E was noisy. It was 6 years old, and had taken a nasty bump on the highway, so I replaced it with an HJC CL15. The HJC is a tad quieter than the Nolan, but still noisy enough to cause hearing issues. The HJC was never really meant to be my "forever" helmet or helmet brand, it was just a good deal at a time when I needed one. Both the Nolan and the HJC fit my noggin perfectly.

I've come to the conclusion that helmet fit and features such as venting, shield function and replacement are more important than noise. You can take care of the noise with ear plugs. Let helmet fit and features be the primary reasons for your choice.

Both of my daughters wear Scorpion helmets. They bought them because of the way the helmet fits their heads and overall comfort. My youngest rode home from her job a couple of weeks ago, approximately 25 miles across the city on a freeway and complained of the noise. I just said, "Yup, let me show you how to put in these earplugs."

You can usually find good deals on helmets online, but you don't get a chance to try them on. That's a risk you take. My daughers and my wife all purchased their helmets from a local dealer. They went in, got some great assistance from the sales folks, and purchased it from the dealer. It cost a few dollars more, but at least they knew exactly what they were getting, and didn't mind paying extra for the service.

The Schuberth C3 is much quieter than the Concept (C1) I had quieter even than my Arai RX-7 Corsair.

The C3 visor is no longer held on by external discs.

Schuberth visors are 49 Euro :german and I can ship APO :usa

Chris

Is there anyone here who has years of riding and owned several helmets that can suggest a very quiet helmet?

A helmet as quiet as when I'm wearing those yellow foam earplugs doesn't exist. And none of them are even remotely quiet enough that I would go without them.

Unfortunately, helmet manufacturers put far more emphasis on gimmicks (graphics :rolleyes) than what is really important.

I went from HJC flip up to Shoei RF-1000 full face, and the difference is remarkable. The Shoei is significantly quieter. My wife and I both wear them, and have installed speakers for our intercom. We can converse at speeds up to 70.

Agv

I have found that AGV shield design keeps the noise down around your ears. Everybodys ears are pretty much one on the right and one on the left as far as I can tell. I have had Shoei, Arai. AGV, HJC in the 20+ I have been riding. The AGV design has the cleanest transition from the shield to the rearward part of the helmet limiting the disturbed air to recoil at that point. Thats where the noise comes from in all helmets. Take a look at it. Even their inexpensive helmets have same design. The height of the rider, windshield placement, how close ones ears are to the outside of the helmet all add into how noisy a helmet is. But the design overall is what tells the story. I am plenty happy with my yearly purchase of 200 count earplugs at the safety store. At the time I didnt like AGV for not having removable liners but they have since included that in their products. I currently have a 2-3 yr old Arai. Arai to me is more pillow like and heavier.

Back