• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

2009 Rally from Southern Ontario

DwayneH

Alright, this year I'm going to make an honest effort to attend the rally. My only condition is that I don't want to ride alone, that's boring and not a good idea from a safety point of view.

I'm looking for anyone who is planning on attending the 2009 Rally, leaving from Southern Ontario, or Buffalo, New York area, or thereabouts. Although I ride a K12S, I'm not a high-speed crazy fast rider, but I don't ride at the limit either; just somewhere in between.

I don't have a planned start date, or return date. I'm flexible that way. I'm thinking of either camping or motelling it. Again, quite flexible, accommodations I'm leaving to weather, and the end of the day.

2009 rally from the big smoke, Toronto

I plan to go to the rally next summer, then again, I planned to go this past summer but it didn't work out. I plan to travel through Buffalo and take 219 till it ends, then other secondary road. If you think a 89 K100RS can keep up with your new pony, I would be happy to tag along.

Lostbearings

Attachments

• Oct 08 002.jpg
    Oct 08 002.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 404
I plan to go to the rally next summer, then again, I planned to go this past summer but it didn't work out. I plan to travel through Buffalo and take 219 till it ends, then other secondary road. If you think a 89 K100RS can keep up with your new pony, I would be happy to tag along.

Lostbearings

Sounds awesome to me! Secondary roads are alright by me; the ride is 99.9% of the fun.

2009 Rally

I went to Gillette from Oakville this past summer, enjoyed the company of friend on LT, but came back alone (which was OK also), as he went on to Yellowstone, etc.
I plan on going to Rally next year and would love the company - a group of 4 or so, would be real good. We should meet Winter or early Spring and get to know each other, maybe even go for a day ride. It would also be good if we were all open about pace, time to start and end, etc, so all are happy :laugh

I went to Gillette from Oakville this past summer, enjoyed the company of friend on LT, but came back alone (which was OK also), as he went on to Yellowstone, etc.
I plan on going to Rally next year and would love the company - a group of 4 or so, would be real good. We should meet Winter or early Spring and get to know each other, maybe even go for a day ride. It would also be good if we were all open about pace, time to start and end, etc, so all are happy :laugh

That is a great idea....as I stare out of my Barrie Office window, staring at snow.
Four would be a great number.

I'll be honest, I'm a wimp when it comes to speeding, don't much care for paying the voluntary tax. To put into perspective, I never go over 140 Km/hr on the 400 series, and never over 100 Km/hr on side roads. I'm not an agresive rider, so those that like to explore the deeper parts of their wallets won't enjoy riding with me.

2009 Rally

I will make a note in my diary to refer back to this thread in February and see if we can coordinate a breakfast or some such to meet and greet
Keep the snow up there, we do not need it in Oakville, although I will confess I fired up the blower last weekend to make sure it is ready :(

2009 ,2010,2011 rally

The opportunity of possibly hooking up from Toronto sounds like a great idea.
Just joined last month and already looking forward to next years rally with my rt

The opportunity of possibly hooking up from Toronto sounds like a great idea.
Just joined last month and already looking forward to next years rally with my rt

Hey welcome to the MOA! You have an RT? Very nice machine. Have you done any big rides this past summer? When and where did you get your bike from?

Had a chance to ride through Vermont," Highly recommended". Next years rally
will be my next adventure

Okay, my plan is to do the Sherpa Tent thing. Wife is going to fly in to Knoxville and rent a car, then meet at the Fairgrounds. Looks like this trip is a go.

DwayneH- If you are routing through Central Pa., we could meet up on the way down. My route from Albany will pass through that area as it stands now. Let me Know as date gets closer.

So how many do we have interested in this ride? Again, leaving from Southern Ontario. The only condition my wife has posed, I must travel in a group to put her mind at ease.

Going to rent a tent from the Sherpa, or if their all taken up, I'll just have to pack my tent on the bike.

Don't matter to me what bike your on, just so long as it doesn't have open pipes. Nothing personal, I just can't stand the noise after several hours of riding.

DwayneH- If you are routing through Central Pa., we could meet up on the way down. My route from Albany will pass through that area as it stands now. Let me Know as date gets closer.

This planning stuff is exciting, isn't it? Not looking to join another group, but if you see a couple of GS riders dressed like Luke Skywalker with VT plates on the back be sure to wave!

Hey Enfoman!

A buddy and I will be riding from northern Vermont. First stop will be Gettysburg, then over to the BRP and down. Being small town types, we're hoping to avoid all big cities and their intimidating traffic. How would you avoid/get around places like Albany and Harrisburg on the way down? Or since we want to end up in southern PA that first day would it be better to leave on a Sunday and slab that first day?

TIA, Pete

Get together

Had diarized to organize a get together/acquainted meeting, but looking out my window, I suspect none of us are in the mood quite yet.
Will make a note to post again late February and we can meet for breakfast sometime......:D

group ride from Ontario

I just got the green light to ride to TN. Count me in for breakfast, perhaps we can meet by mid-March.
You think there's still a vacancy available near Johnson City?

Rally

Have not looked into hotel as I plan to camp. Last year I used Sherpa Mayberry, but this time I might take my own gear, I will see...

Would love to go but..

This summer's calendar is already filling up with rides, motorcycle training programs etc.

Gotta find a way to play hooky and get to the rally

I just got the green light to ride to TN. Count me in for breakfast, perhaps we can meet by mid-March.
You think there's still a vacancy available near Johnson City?

We just made reservations this week at the Red Roof Inn in Johnson City.

Can you count me in too?

Hi there
I am anew BMW Owner. Have been riding Hondas for the past 35 years. I just bought a "new to me" 1100RT and will be making the rallly for sure. I live in Ajax, Ontario.
Every year, I ride from Ajax into Front Royal VA. From there I take the Skyline Drive, Blue Ridge and Great Smokey route down into Tenn. and then play around NC, Tenn and Georgia a bit. This route is VERY casual and top speed on Skyline is 35 mph, the Blue Ridge lets you open it upto 45mph. It is all the most beautiful riding you will ever find anywhere and goes right through the Mountains all of the way. Imagine waking up from your tent with a Mother Deer and her Fawn curled up sleeping and leaning against your tent.
Some years I do the above route there and back and some I do there then interstate back home.
I'll follow any routes you decide on and would enjoy the company of all.

Back