• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

GPS - Need Help on Purchase

Cheapest thing on a BMW??????:laugh

Here is where I got mine. Fast shipping, great customer service.

Garmin 2730 on ebay

Had a great time at the Dells. Hope to see you there next year.

Liked it so well, got another one for the car. Will use one XM antenna for both of the units since I can just switch back and forth.

I just bit the bullet and bought the Zumo 550 with the latest 2008 version of maps on it shipped to the house for $720.00. I also ordered the Autocom Dou 300 so I can listen to the voice prompts and use my MP3 player with it. The whole deal was a little over $1000.00 but, I can use them on multiple bikes and vehicles. Now all I have to do is buy that old airhead GS I've been looking for and I'll be set. :thumb

Great that you found what you wanted, for a price you were willing to pay.

Just remember not to spend all your time playing with your new GPS and not watching the road! Don't want to rear end the guy in front of you! :thumb

2008 Maps

You might want to check with Garmin. I believe you should of have gotten the 2009 version. If so you can still get it by calling their Customer Service number. You have a limited time to do so and may need to send them a copy of your invoice. Enjoy.

You might want to check with Garmin. I believe you should of have gotten the 2009 version. If so you can still get it by calling their Customer Service number. You have a limited time to do so and may need to send them a copy of your invoice. Enjoy.

Thanks for the info I will definetly check into it. It should arrive here tomorrow so I will check it out then.

It's here and working!

Well the package arrived and it was like Christmas yesterday.:dance
Everything hooked up quite easily. My phone is Bluetooth compatible so that works well. The SD card port is really nice.:thumb I've already got a bunch of tunes on there. The Autocom headset was easy to install in my helmet and the main control unit went under the seat. Two great items that work together in harmony.:blah Even a seasoned idiot like myself can put it together.

Attachments

• Garmin and garage goodness.JPG
    Garmin and garage goodness.JPG
    82.8 KB · Views: 747
Another pic

I still don't know how to put more than one picture in a message. Like I said seasoned idiot.

Attachments

• Garmin and garage goodness (4).JPG
    Garmin and garage goodness (4).JPG
    68.6 KB · Views: 751
I just ordered a Garmin Street Pilot 2720 on a closeout price of $119 ($127 w/ shipping) from http://www.fotoconnection.com/.

I've never dealt with them before, but at the price, it was hard to pass up.

I'll post after I receive it and let you know how it goes.

edit - I just checked ebay and saw this isn't such an outstanding deal if this is a refurb. The site I bought from indicated new. We'll see.

Garmin Zumo 550

If you decide you might want the Zumo 550, and are in the military or either know someone associated with the military who can help you, you can get one through AAFE's for $709. I know they can be had a little cheaper, but free shipping to your door, no tax....and I registered for a Star Card and my first purchase day was 10% off of everything. Best of all, the wife was on their website the eve before Thanksgiving and they offered everything bought that night for 20% off. I did some rough math, and figured I was getting it for around $450.

Can you say BUY IT NOW?:eat

"If" you are also an AMA member, you can get a huge discount directly from Garmin.

example:

zūmo?« 550
Part Number: 010-00567-00
Suggested Retail Price: $ 964.27 USD
Your price: $ 674.99 USD
You save: $ 289.28 USD (30.00%)
Normally ships in 1 - 3 business days

So, this thread is a bit stale, but I haven't had a chance to use my GPS on the bike for any period of time until recently...

I got a Garmin Nuvi 750. This is NOT waterproof/vibration resistant/etc. It is designed specifically for cars. I use it inside the map pocket of my tankbag and it works great. It's not the easiest to see down there (I have the sound piped into earphones for turn-by-turn directions), but it works just fine and you can use the touch screen through the soft clear window.

The Nuvi 700 series lets you use multiple waypoints on your route, so you can plot out your complete route ahead of time (using as many waypoints as you need to force it onto the roads you want to use). It does have an "avoid highways" but I've found that doesn't work too well (often results in WAY too long of routes for me), IMO.

It works awesome in the car, providing a nice large screen, easy to understand text-to-speech directions, and a good supply of points of interest.

The 750 doesn't have any frills like bluetooth, traffic, etc, but you can get it for around $200 right now at Costco, or around $300 most places, I think.

Just bought a ZUMO 450 at the NAS JAX Navy Exchange. $359.99 I will use this device for a few months before commenting on the pros/cons.
Ride Safe :usa

I have found that the clear vinyl bags that are often found sold containing shower curtains and the like make an excellent bag for any gps unit in any but the worst weather. just find the right size. I found one to cover my megallan 3100 that contained a shoe polish kit in a dollar store by chance. perfect fit. protects very well and is mounted near my handlebars for better viewing rather being distracted looking down too far off the road to to tank bag.:twirl

Bob

Anyone with experience and mounting ideas with the 450 on an RT.

Two suggestions: a Migsel mount puts the unit (I actually use a different Garmin, (476c) but the mounting idea is the same) right above the instruments, in your line of sight. Some people complain about vibration, but I've used it for 24,000 miles and have yet to get lost. I mounted the XM puck on top of the unit with Dual Lock...stays put, and shades the screen.

Or, some Lexan and Dual Lock will secure it between your handlebars for about $6. The clickable thumbnail photos below show how I made the Lexan mount, with a Roady attached using Velcro. I'm certain I could mount my Garmin there using Dual Lock, and it would be rock solid. The Roady has been replaced with a larger Skyfi2, about the same size as a GPS unit.

A Lexan sheet, about ten by ten inches, is available at Lowe's, etc, and can be cut and rounded off easily.

Any questions, please PM rather than ask here hoping I'll see it.

Here's a photo of the GPS on the Migsel:

"If" you are also an AMA member, you can get a huge discount directly from Garmin.

example:

zūmo?« 550
Part Number: 010-00567-00
Suggested Retail Price: $ 964.27 USD
Your price: $ 674.99 USD
You save: $ 289.28 USD (30.00%)
Normally ships in 1 - 3 business days

If you are not an AMA memeber you can also get similar pricing from GPSDISCOUNT.com

here is the link

http://www.gpsdiscount.com/products/index.html?p=989

They also have refurbs sometimes for under $600 - check the site out for details

Not affiliated with them but was very happy with the purchase and service.

Last edited:
Back