• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

BMW MOA Spartanburg Rides 2008 (Pictures, 56k = no luck)

WildBlue

So, I attended the MOA's Spartanburg Rides this weekend, and it was awesome!

Here is a photo journal of my weekend.

We started Friday afternoon at the BMW Zentrum which is a Museum / Visitors Center.

BMW001.jpg

The next three pictures are of the James Bond Z3 from "Goldeneye".

BMW002.jpg

BMW003.jpg

BMW004.jpg

There is a very cool display of motorcycles through the ages suspended from what appears to be a steeply banked road.

BMW005.jpg

BMW006.jpg

BMW007.jpg

BMW008.jpg

BMW009.jpg

BMW010.jpg

BMW011.jpg

BMW012.jpg

More motorcycles in the Zentrum.

BMW013.jpg

BMW014.jpg

This GS had something to do with the 2002 Olympics in Salt Lake City.

BMW015.jpg

BMW016.jpg

BMW017.jpg

BMW018.jpg

BMW019.jpg

BMW020.jpg

BMW021.jpg

Me outside the Zentrum.

BMW022.jpg

Now for Saturday on at the Performance Center.

Me riding off to the staging area for the On Road Course behind the building.

BMW023.jpg

The wife and I got a kick out of this poster on the inside of the Performance Center.

BMW024.jpg

A pair of X6s.

BMW025.jpg

Staging area for the Saturday morning On Road course.

BMW026.jpg

BMW027.jpg

Off we go!

BMW028.jpg

BMW029.jpg

Quick lap around our first area.

BMW030.jpg

There were three areas, Obstacle Avoidance, Stopping, and clutch control / tight area maneuvering.

In Obstacle Avoidance we had to rapidly accelerate to 30 MPH then pull in the clutch, roll off the throttle, and swerve (left, right, back left to your original track) to avoid the obstacle. After avoiding the obstacle we had to come to a quick stop. If you did that well, we progressively went faster and to the left or right each run. We ultimately hit 50 MPH in this exercise.

They wouldn't allow my wife too close for safety reasons, so here are several shots on the return lap after the obstacle run.

BMW031.jpg

BMW032.jpg

BMW033.jpg

BMW034.jpg

BMW035.jpg

BMW036.jpg

BMW037.jpg

BMW038.jpg

Last edited:
The second area my group went to was the braking exercise. For those of us who had switchable ABS (I don't), they had to do several runs with and without ABS on.

Start off accelerate to 30 and stomp on the rear brake ONLY to a complete stop. One more time at 40. Now at 50 go for full front and rear brakes. Faster if you chose to.

The return laps on this course were either twistys or sweepers (your choice of route and speed). The most fun to be had on a return lap all day. No pictures here, as it was too far away from where they would allow my wife.

Here is an aerial photo of this section. Green line on the left was start, second green line is where you started to brake and the third was where to talk to the instructor. Red was the twistys and blue track for the sweeps. There is a significant amount of elevation change on this section of course that is not visible in the aerial photo.

When we were done braking, we had about 5-10 minutes of pure lap time on the red track, passing only on the straight.

Stopping-Course.jpg

These pitures are from the Clutch Control portion of the course. This was a big loop of inline weaves, offset weaves, reversing weaves, large and small figure eights, large and small 90 degree turns, large and small 90 degree right - 180 left - then 90 degree outs, and circles.

Initial Lap.

BMW039.jpg

Circles.

BMW040.jpg

BMW041.jpg

BMW042.jpg

90 in then 180 then 90 out... OOPS! (This was the smaller side)

BMW043.jpg

Circles.

BMW044.jpg

Final Lap.

BMW045.jpg

Finally it was off to the time trials!

You started out with a lane change, then several reversing turns, a 1x6 to cross, a cone to circle, a cone to move from one side to the other (more on this later), and finally accelerate to the finish but upon finishing stop before the final red cones.

Time penalized for knocking cones over, going outside of the cones, falling off the board, not completing the circle, not moving the cone, and stopping beyond the red cones at the finish.

We all got two runs.

Staging for the trial.

BMW046.jpg

Tight turns.

BMW047.jpg

BMW048.jpg

Crossing the board.

BMW049.jpg

Circling the cone.

BMW050.jpg

It's hard to see in the picture, but my throttle hand is reaching for the cone. (I missed on both runs.) There are 2 cones you can transfer the smaller cone to. One directly behind my 1150 and the one in front of me.

BMW051.jpg

My first run time. +1 for missing the cone.

BMW052.jpg

Run two!

Tight turns.

BMW053.jpg

BMW054.jpg

BMW055.jpg

BMW056.jpg

BMW057.jpg

Circle.

BMW058.jpg

Run time, +1 for falling off the board and +1 for missing the cone, but a big improvment over run one!

BMW059.jpg

All in all a great time, I definately want to come back and run the full day course.

Me, super happy enjoying lunch.

BMW060.jpg

My R1150R.

BMW061.jpg

And one more in front of the BMW Performance Center.

BMW062.jpg

Dang Nice Report!!!

:clap

dude - outstanding report.

i was there and i am bummed that we didn't meet.

mine was a whirlwind tour... getting there late friday pm, doing the offroad course first thing in the morning and then blowing town for my next stop... our place in NC. i had to work sunday (today).

so... with so many people (including you) taking most excellent pictures.... i took none.

well, chasman too a pic of me and new-HP2-owner-from-charleston jason slutsky getting ready to feed our faces.

great event... the result of a LOT of volunteer effort combined with top-notch know-how from headquarters.

i had a great time, thanks to everyone involved with putting this together.

ian

Attachments

• spartanburg.jpg
    spartanburg.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 190
:clap

dude - outstanding report.

i was there and i am bummed that we didn't meet.

mine was a whirlwind tour... getting there late friday pm, doing the offroad course first thing in the morning and then blowing town for my next stop... our place in NC. i had to work sunday (today).

so... with so many people (including you) taking most excellent pictures.... i took none.

well, chasman too a pic of me and new-HP2-owner-from-charleston jason slutsky getting ready to feed our faces.

great event... the result of a LOT of volunteer effort combined with top-notch know-how from headquarters.

i had a great time, thanks to everyone involved with putting this together.

ian

It was a whirlwind for me as well. I spent Friday hunting for a short so that I could attend. http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?t=30210

My wife was the photographer, and for her first time using the Nikon D40, she did phenomenally!!

Had a great time!

Thanks for posting pics, Chris! I was in the Sat AM on-road course, but was in a different group.

I had dinner with the guy on the left in Visian's post. He was a lot of fun!

Great Pics and Great Weekend

I have to say that I'm jealous of all the photos. I kept wishing that I had one of those headcams installed on my helmet. That would be a lot of fun to watch afterwards.

wildblue, i gotta look for you at the next rally....

i hung out with the rest of the folks on this thread...
ian, jason, and the the good docs from Indi.

btw, an 8oz can of red bull does more than a cup of coffee could do anyday.

I had a great time over the weekend, and I would definitely do it all over again.

Thanks BMW MOA, BMW Foundation, and BMW Performance Center! I'll be back for full day course eventually.

I have to say that I'm jealous of all the photos. I kept wishing that I had one of those headcams installed on my helmet. That would be a lot of fun to watch afterwards.

wildblue, i gotta look for you at the next rally....

i hung out with the rest of the folks on this thread...
ian, jason, and the the good docs from Indi.

btw, an 8oz can of red bull does more than a cup of coffee could do anyday.

I had a great time over the weekend, and I would definitely do it all over again.

Thanks BMW MOA, BMW Foundation, and BMW Performance Center! I'll be back for full day course eventually.

Hey, Theo! :wave

Enjoyed meeting you and some other nice folks from ATL!

It really was a fantastic facility there at the performance center. I also think the hotel was a winner, too. Especially the very reasonable rate they negotiated for us. The MOA did an awesome job putting this together in a short time and got if very right for a first time event.

Outstanding! In our last survey of the membership, done a couple years ago now, rider training and technical knowledge were shown by 85% of the membership to be something they wanted from the club. These are the two highest requested categories in the survey.

This event seems to have filled the bill for rider training pretty well. This is very exciting to see and I'm looking forward to more events like this one and the Colors in the Catskills.

:thumb

Back