• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Non-heated winter gloves

35 degrees f yesterday morning, 25 degrees f this morning. Finger tips numb down to the first joint. Unable to feel anthing. Had to have my wife unstrap my helmet. I need unheated gloves that will keep fingers that have been frost bitten, warm. Have not found any, yet.

BMW Winter 2s should be renamed BMW Fall2s as that is the coldest season they are good for.

30 minute commute in snowy mix (~mid 30s) left me with numb thumbs.

Trying liners on the next cold morning.

May have to go to the Touratech large handguards with spoiler to help.

Olympia gloves are top notch

OLYMonsoon.jpg
I wear these Monsoon versions in the mornings when it is running around 39 F. They are waterproof and plenty warm on the RT.

Never had cold fingers when riding and yesterday, while taking the bike to its winter hibernation place the gloves performed just fine.

I'd like to hear what people think the big difference is between winter riding gloves and skiing or mountaineering gloves. I tried a pair of gloves on at the Tallahassee BMW dealer and decided to go with my mountaineering gloves.

I'd like to hear what people think the big difference is between winter riding gloves and skiing or mountaineering gloves. I tried a pair of gloves on at the Tallahassee BMW dealer and decided to go with my mountaineering gloves.

I suspect that sometimes the difference is nothing, other times a lot. If your skiing or mountaineering gloves are such that the won't shred when sliding down the asphalt if you happen to fall then they are probably fine. I don't think you can say that about all gloves. Alas, I don't even think you can say that about all motorcycle gloves.

// marc

While waiting for my G3s to arrive, I used my Hotfinger Gore-tex ski gloves riding in 40 degrees the other day. Warm as toast and way better "feel" than the G3s that arrived yesterday. I know from experience that they are very water resistant. Frankly, I am surprised at how bulky the G3s are and the XLs are tight to the point that the wires will hurt on a ride over 15 minutes. The ski gloves would likely shred in a serious slider, but the G3s have no armor either. I'll send back the G3s and size up to XXL, which is unprecedented for me.

Does anyone know of gloves made specifically to be used with heated grips? It seems a thinner amount of insulation would be best for the palms and lower portion of the fingers, with a thicker amount of insulation for the backs of the hands and finger tips. I have Widder heated gloves, but hate the lack of feel on the controls due to the clumsy design. Not sure I want to spend the money on other heated gloves to see if I like them better, so continue to look for non-heated gloves that are actually warm.

Does anyone know of gloves made specifically to be used with heated grips?

I've had reasonably good luck with gloves containing phase-change material. They take slightly longer to warm up, but hold the heat pretty well. I'm using a Rev'It glove. Lee Parks Design also has several choices in PCI gloves, some with more insulation on the back than the front. Don't know if they are waterproof, though. The Rev'It Farenheit are.

// marc

I love the Aerostich Elkskin Ropers. I wear the uninsulated ones down to about 40 degrees or so and use my heated grips as needed. I wear the insulated ones below that and they keep me comfy down into the 20's.

My experiences are identical to these observations.

Although I now use handlebar covers (rain is a bigger deal than cold here in Seattle), and thus rarely use insulated gloves anymore. Handlebar covers + heated grips + regular Aerostich elkskin ropers = warm and dry hands regardless of conditions.

I've had reasonably good luck with gloves containing phase-change material. They take slightly longer to warm up, but hold the heat pretty well. I'm using a Rev'It glove. Lee Parks Design also has several choices in PCI gloves, some with more insulation on the back than the front. Don't know if they are waterproof, though. The Rev'It Farenheit are.

// marc

Thanks, a little pricey, but as is often said, you get what you pay for.

1+ on BMW ProWinter gloves. I find they are very high quality. Temp range warm down to the mid to upper 30's(F) with heated grips on the RT. Heat not needed if it's in the 40's or above. Pretty good dexterity and 'feel' for a winter weight glove. They appear to be supplanted by the ProWinter 2. Mine look like this:

Attachments

• 72607704337_bmw_prosummergloves.jpg
    72607704337_bmw_prosummergloves.jpg
    8.7 KB · Views: 285
I did find some Olympia gloves that have a divider down the center, one side for grip, the other for warmth. Seemed like they would work for when the heated grips are on, but I found it very difficult to get my fingers in, due to the multi-layered feature. I ended up buying Olympia #4370 style gloves, a waterproof leather/textile combination. While out riding yesterday in 40 degree weather and 40 MPH winds, my hands were confortable with the heated grips on the low setting. My right thumb started to get cold as the sun went down, but that is normal for me, as it was frost-bit, and gets cold easy. I'm guessing anything under 35 degrees will require heated gloves, as the insulation on the back of the hand/wrist isn't that great.

Attachments

• IMG_1138.jpg
    IMG_1138.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 245
1+ on BMW ProWinter gloves. I find they are very high quality. Temp range warm down to the mid to upper 30's(F) with heated grips on the RT. Heat not needed if it's in the 40's or above. Pretty good dexterity and 'feel' for a winter weight glove. They appear to be supplanted by the ProWinter 2. Mine look like this:

These are ProSummers-
Gloves_ProSummer.jpg

These I use as 3-season gloves and add liners for temps into the 40s.

ProWinter2s look like this-
glove_pro-winter2.jpg

The ProWinter2 are for temps below 40.

I do NOT have heated grips on my 650-which is my everyday ride.

Back