• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

LED Tail Recommendations

drummer

Frieden mit uns allen
I did a search on this forum and found very little this topic. I know there have been posts, I just could not find them so forgive me for beating a topic. (Kinda like looking in the refrigerator and not seeing something that is right in front of you)

Okay, back to topic - I am curious if there are recommendations for extremely bright LED replacement bulbs. I have found a few, but they want you to have a WHITE tail light - nope, not on my bike, red means stop.

Seems like the white bulb replacements that allow for you to use the red light cover are just as bright as the current filament bulb; which is not bright.

So rather than spend money on testing various bulbs, I was hoping for a couple of recommendations. Please let me know what LED tail light bulbs you like and if they are extremely bright.

I did a search on this forum and found very little this topic. I know there have been posts, I just could not find them so forgive me for beating a topic. (Kinda like looking in the refrigerator and not seeing something that is right in front of you)

Okay, back to topic - I am curious if there are recommendations for extremely bright LED replacement bulbs. I have found a few, but they want you to have a WHITE tail light - nope, not on my bike, red means stop.

Seems like the white bulb replacements that allow for you to use the red light cover are just as bright as the current filament bulb; which is not bright.

So rather than spend money on testing various bulbs, I was hoping for a couple of recommendations. Please let me know what LED tail light bulbs you like and if they are extremely bright.

Quick comment on light. Your red lens on your taillight is filtering the "white" light from your incandescent bulb and only allowing red light to pass. If the bulb emitted pure red, the lens would still do exactly the same thing. Allow red light to pass. Red LED bulbs work just fine with a red lens covering them.

Now, you don't want a white LED bulb for a taillight application. The reason is that "white" LED's really aren't white at all; they emit a mix of mostly yellow and blue. They emit relatively little in the red spectrum. Once you put the red taillight lens over them, what gets out will be rather pitiful.

LED Brake lights

Hyperlights puts out some fairly trick systems to augment your existing taillights, permitting automatic fast flashing - steady on and other options.

http://www.hyperlites.com/

Replacing your existing bulb - at least with my old K, is harder than it would appear, as the system depends on a certain amperage draw from the bulb, if there is less - and LEDs draw almost nothing - the system registers this as a fault.

Usual disclaimers.

I've had my "Brake" LED setup from Gizmo-Mill for several years, set up to flash before going solid while braking. No problems or issues. I understand they are no longer in business.

Have also heard mostly positve reviews about Kisan Signal Minder products. Can set up as running lights and flashing brake, I think.

Run-N-Lights and Light Buddies are now available from the same outfit and advertise in ON, page 149 in the October issue.

Brake Lights

As Beemer01 noted, Hyperlights has a nice rig to augment the existing system and they work very well and very easy to install. I've had mine for several years now and you will immediately notice at stoplights that cars will stop one car length or more behind you (I left my flashing - you have the option). I would rate the Hyperlites as one of the best safety features to add to your bike.

sjc

Soffiler - never thought about the lens being a filter - excellent point, thanks.

I have been using the HyperLights and they do work well. However, there are times were the sun will wash the tail light out and cars will fly up on my tail. I was just hoping to make my braking more visible.

Brake! by Road Rocketeer aka Gizmo Mill

I believe that the company is back in business under a new name.

It's a great product.

I agree... it's a great product that was fairly simple to install! My friends installed mine, in a parking lot, in just a few minutes!!!

LED Tail lights

You could always track down a wrecked R1200S and modify the LED lights off one of those bikes for your application.

I added an LED bar from Custom D
LED004.jpg
[/IMG]ynamics that was only around $25 that blinks five times before going solid when you apply the brakes. The rest of the time it is like a tail light. Works much better than the stock light, is very lightweight & super easy to install. There are three versions of it. I get lots of comments on how attention getting it is

$135.00 for a light bulb?

Lot of other cheaper alternatives that would provide more lights.

Think I would pass.

$135.00 for a light bulb?

Lot of other cheaper alternatives that would provide more lights.

Think I would pass.

Hi,
I bought this light system for my K1200RS and wouldn't leave home without it. A safety item that is well worth the money IMHO.

Back