• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Bikes on (motor) bikes

G

GoNoPo

Anybody out there using one of the various bicycle racks on their motors?

I'm looking to combine my passion for two wheels (mountain biking and motorbiking). And would appreciate thoughts from any one out there doing this.

Was also thinking about getting a folder bicycle??

Thanks,

Tom

No Po
I too am kind of nuts that way. I have a winter project in mind for just this project. I will PM you.

PS mine is an Airhead.

Anybody out there using one of the various bicycle racks on their motors?

I'm looking to combine my passion for two wheels (mountain biking and motorbiking). And would appreciate thoughts from any one out there doing this.

Was also thinking about getting a folder bicycle??

Thanks,

Tom
Last week at PDX I saw an R12GS with either Jesse or Touratech bags (or equivalents) rigged to carry a bicycle. One bag has a mount for the bicycle frame and the other bag has mounts for the wheels the wheels. I don't remember which is which, but one is a Thule and the other is a Yakima. Both are attached to the bags with some simple welded plates.

Not much help, I know. :D

Want.

IMG_2472-518x384.jpg

bikes on bikes

I have a KLR650 that has a home-made (from old Yakima parts) rack for my road bike. was very simple to make, and don't even notice when riding. and goes on and off quickly. ... and I have a Giant "halfway" folding bike that likes to come with me on my R1150Rt. can't get my wife to come with me. and since my bicycle is my other passion... can take some photos if you'd like.

I saw a guy riding around town (St Charles, MO) on a GS oilhead with a bike on the back a few times. Since then, I've been thinking up my own design for a rack for my airhead.

EDIT: Are all bike racks vertical, or does anyone have one that the bike mounts horizontal?

my k75

that cafemotos site is pretty sweet...wow...

with my bags on the side, and a towel on the back rack, i just used some straps and a bungy cord to hold down my mountain bike. but, i've never taken it on a long trip. i've just used for short commutes around town, never really cracking 60mph.

you don't have to worry about being noticed around town when you have a bicycle strapped to your motorcycle....

good luck in your bicycle mounting.

bike rack on RT

I was so glad to see others on the forum who wanted a bike rack on their motor!
I have a 2000 1100RT and was determined to haul my mountain bike on it.
Starting out on this project I went to Lowes and purchased several different sizes of square metal tubing thinking I would be attaching to points like passenger footpegs and visible frame.
After several days of cutting, drilling and trying to clamp something that would work, I was frustrated because I can't weld.
I had forgotten about a hatchback type bike rack hanging from the ceiling of my garage, when I looked up and saw it I had an epiphany!
Because I had converted my bike to an RT-P look alike I had a nice solid platform to work off of.
bikerack1.jpg
[/IMG]
bikerack2.jpg
[/IMG]
bikerack3.jpg
[/IMG]
bikerack4.jpg
[/IMG]
bikerack5.jpg
[/IMG]
bikerack6.jpg
[/IMG]
bikerack8.jpg
[/IMG]
bikerack91.jpg
[/IMG]
bikerack92.jpg
[/IMG]
bikerack93.jpg
[/IMG]
bikerack94.jpg
[/IMG]
bikerack95.jpg
[/IMG]

I have taken my maiden voyage and could not even tell it was there! :usa

Last edited:
Bicycle Mount On a GS

Hello all you crazy people out there.

I'm inspired to share with you my pics of my bike. You may have seen this in the "January ON" on page 14.

" Do you know how this bike came to be? It was a nice red R1100GS once. Taken by the Dark Powers, Tortured & Mutilated, By me. A ruined & Terrible form of life, and now Perfected. This is my Fighting Urik-Hai.
Whom do you Serve?" :nra

Attachments

• Scott Glover's BMW R1100GS (130).jpg
    Scott Glover's BMW R1100GS (130).jpg
    130.8 KB · Views: 661
Last edited:
I've been thinking about this for a while as I love to mountain bike. Here is what worries me. Most trail heads that I go to are pretty remote and most mb rides are 3 hours or so. I think I would worry so much about somebody screwing with my motorcycle that I wouldn't enjoy the ride.

Bill
07 R1200RT
09 KLR

Bicycle mount on a GS

I thought about Track Racing at first but I just ride the road, I do run bakes on it as well.:D

sprinkle in ideas from the web, old rack parts in my garage, a new bike tray, and stupiditywa-laI finally crafted a mtb rack for my R11RT. I will send photos when I uncover where me wife hid the digital camera. Ive got a busy spring &summer planned w/ the family; but come fall Im going to head out from pdx and hit all the choice trails in or, id, and maybe some in nv. Either that or head down to moab for slick rock fun.
~tom

Back