• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Bad Battery

PAULBACH

truckride.jpg

So there is my new F650 twin being hauled back home by John Collandrea of the Capital Area Motorcycling School. John was also one of the Lee Parks instructors for the Colors in the Catskills rally.

The bike died in Tannersville just a few miles from Hunter Mountain. I called Brian of Hunter Mountain. Josh Ascher joined the rescue and had "Big John" scoop up bike and rider and deliver both to Hudson Valley Community College. Wife picked me up there with, "Daddy just had to have a motorcycle" look.

Cause of problem: bad battery - maybe dead cell. When I when to pick up bike another one was there with same problem.

Thanks again:
Brian, Josh and Big John

truckride.jpg

So there is my new F650 twin being hauled back home by John Collandrea of the Capital Area Motorcycling School. John was also one of the Lee Parks instructors for the Colors in the Catskills rally.

The bike died in Tannersville just a few miles from Hunter Mountain. I called Brian of Hunter Mountain. Josh Ascher joined the rescue and had "Big John" scoop up bike and rider and deliver both to Hudson Valley Community College. Wife picked me up there with, "Daddy just had to have a motorcycle" look.

Cause of problem: bad battery - maybe dead cell. When I when to pick up bike another one was there with same problem.

Thanks again:
Brian, Josh and Big John

My R1200R battery died suddenly too. I rode it 200 miles away from home, parked it, when I came back to re start it it was completely dead. Warranty covered it but it was not very convenient.

I'm on my 3rd battery in my G-650 in its first year. Where is BMW getting these things? :scratch

Exide.
This is not a problem unique to one model or line in the range. If you explore the other threads in the forum, you'll find it's becoming more common. I've been pretty outspoken about the issue because it's affected both of our newer beemers, and just as unpredictably and inconveniently.
Lately it seems like BMW's electrical component suppliers are headed towards dethroning Lucas as the "Prince of Darkness".

Bob

Exide.
This is not a problem unique to one model or line in the range. If you explore the other threads in the forum, you'll find it's becoming more common. I've been pretty outspoken about the issue because it's affected both of our newer beemers, and just as unpredictably and inconveniently.
Lately it seems like BMW's electrical component suppliers are headed towards dethroning Lucas as the "Prince of Darkness".

Bob

One of the funniest lines since Saturday Night Live! :laugh

Too bad it's true. :cry

For now my battery was replaced under warranty. :deal

But the next battery will be an Odyssey. It costs more money but then it is more than worth it if it saves being stranded.

Any consensus on the most reliable replacement brand(s)?

Thanks,
Jim

Jim,

I've only just replaced them this year, so I can't tell you how long they'll last. You'll probably get similar answers from others, as it's the batteries in the newer bikes that are causing the trouble, so a lot of owners are getting free replacements under warranty (sometimes repeatedly).
For what it's worth, I'm using Powersports AGM batteries, they're made is the USA, are fully charged and ready to go off the shelf, are warranteed, and cost about $60. I get them at a local farm & ranch "general" store. THey are also available at a lot of auto parts stores and such.

Bob

Thanks Bob...

This makes me long for the "good old days" when bikes had carbs. and a kick start lever, and the electrics didn't matter unless it was night time ... :violin :violin :violin :violin

These days we are a little less able to cope with adversity ... hopefully the extra performance and reliability are there to make up for it...........

Thanks,
Jim

I had the same thing happen to me 4 weeks ago, but I was moving at 40 MPH and it shut down like I switched off the key, no sputtering or any warning at all! Jump start did no good and it turned into a 5 hr hassle as I was about 100 miles from home. Roadside assistance arranged for a tow to a shop that was 90 miles from home. Something to be said for carburetors and gravity-fed fuel.

Did the bike lock rear wheel or fishtail at all, shutting off at 40 MPH, off like you shut off the key? My 1.5 yr old F800S did this four times, battery checked as good, ignition good, replaced EZF, and now declared and agreed upon as lemon. The buy back by BMW is set to close after my week away to Motorrad Mexico Rally this week, the week after.

Back