• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Isn't that 3K short

aaaaaa

5100 attendance. Don't usually 8K attend? Was it the location? The weather? The cowboy connection? The economy? What gives?
robert

I've been to Gillette. Not a place normally on anybodies list of vacation hot spots. If U were going there to spend some time on a dude ranch, ride horses, rope steers, cool. Not that scenic like Jackson Hole Wy. or Sedona Az. for example. High fuel prices probably had a big effect on travel even on motorcycles. I travel for a living, if I would have had a load offer in the area, I would have attended. I'm planning on attending '09 MOA National in east Tn. If weather cooperates and the economy doesn't totally tank look for 8-9 thousand in attendence. :groovy

Actually, attendance only went up in the last couple of years. Before Lima in 2005, hitting 7,000 attendance was almost impossible.

West coast rallies traditionally have smaller numbers. For Gillette, It disn't help that gas prices were skyrocketing and the economic situation in the country was as bad as we thought it could get.

There has long been an established pattern that the turnout of the hard working boys and girls from the east coast is dismal when the rally is west of the mighty Mississippi. To people used to slogging their way through interminable traffic; or risking their lives on congested freeways or toll roads - the prospect of a 2000 mile ride across the rust belt and empty quarter is more than their hearts can bear, and the prospect of another 2000 miles back across the plains and rust belt further kills the deal. Not to mention the time it takes to get to the rally and go home from the rally. Left coasters are no less timid if the trip is in reverse. I have been told in dead seriousness many times, "I never go east of I-25.

Since the US population distribution resembles a horseshoe - the most central location - the geographically balanced centroid where the sum of all the distances for all the members is least - would be a lesser attended rally because lots of folks won't or can't ride that far. Sad - but true!

The two reasons I've heard from people I know were 1) the economic situation and 2) the distance. It was cheaper to stay home and have fun than ride out West and face the heat.

I don't think the economic situation was so much the cost of gas as much as it was the concern of leaving on vacation and coming back to find no job.

Doesn't really matter!

I guess to some folks, it does, as the business end of the MOA makes less money, BUT. Wyoming has always been a favorite for me to ride in and around and those missing this state are missing great rides, for whatever reasons. It would be a shame to miss such a wonderful m/c riding area like Wyoming, regardless what you have to bear to get there. No good reasons to miss Wyoming, imo. Time, money must be made to see the best N.America has to offer, "wherever" it is. Yep, the West, as Paul says, has most always been less folks attending the big event for our MOA. Don't let the numbers ever fool you, however, into thinking the burdens to get West outweigh the golden riding opportunities the western half of N.America have to offer. You don't come west to rallies? Your reasons are yours and probably waranted in so many cases, but ever get the chance to ride across the USA, you better do it. The middle is good too, as I have always found the plains states interesting. All you have to do is look and enjoy the people in the small towns, etc.. Folks love talk'in to strangers, I've found:). So much to hear and learn, from those plains folks! I've had time to ride the East rallies and have been blessed to do it, coming from the far west. I would NEVER have traded these riding experiences across the USA for anything. Its been great, every time and the middle USA has never discouraged me from coming across. Enjoy it ALL:). Randy, Rid'in hard as I get older."Polarbear"

5100 attendance. Don't usually 8K attend? Was it the location? The weather? The cowboy connection? The economy? What gives?
robert

8K attend?

Not usually. That was the attendance at West Bend, and reflects the convergence of favorable weather, a somewhat 'centralized' location, excellent management by the Chairs (Beemer Hill), strong vendor support, etc. Gillette was also well-chaired and benefited from dedicated volunteers.

But while rally attendance numbers are inching upward, there are reasons why Gillette was lucky to see 5,100.

Was it the location?

Oh God. That's a horse that's been beaten to death. I am not about to dig out the defribrillator and rescusitate that issue. To each, their own opinion.

The weather?

That's an 'eye of the beholder' question and answer. For some, playing tag with the storms of the open West are "part of the adventure." For others, it depended from where and when you traveled from to get there. For me, being blown into a SD culvert by 70 MPH straightline winds while enroute didn't make my top ten list for highlights.

The cowboy connection?

I think that was actually a PLUS. For many of us who admire the 'Old West,' but get few chances in our busy urban existance to live that out vicariously, Gillette represented an opportunity to put on a cowboy hat and feel part of an Americana that is fading from our landscape.

The economy?

Absolutely. Remoteness, coupled with high fuel prices and high motel rates, definitely contributed to many vendors passing on 2008, and many members coming to similar conclusions.

What gives?

Here's what gives: 2009 is in the heart of some incredible mountain ranges east of the Mississippi, with great riding within a more reasonable radius of Rally Central than Gillette. Mark your calendar and come see what TN, VA and NC has to offer the MOA next July!

8K attend?

Was it the location?
Oh God. That's a horse that's been beaten to death. I am not about to dig out the defribrillator and rescusitate that issue. To each, their own opinion.

:clap See you in Johnson City! :thumb

2976424238_8efc16eff2.jpg

Back