• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

I Was Feeling Pretty Good...brake Light Short 85 K100rs

C

Carguz

The bike would die, lights would dim and I read a post about cleaning the ignition switch. I followed the post and cleaned the switch and everything seemed to be working fine.

Then the brakes lights (front and rear) started turning on the battery charging light, dimming the guages and worse shorting the fuse on the ignition and rad circuit.

It's driving me crazy. I took the tank off cleaned all connectors with silicone and I'm still having the problem. I suspect it's the ignition switch. Any ideas?

PS - I did get the clutch cable on. (easier if you loosen the tank and pry it up.)

Thanks.

The bike would die, lights would dim and I read a post about cleaning the ignition switch. I followed the post and cleaned the switch and everything seemed to be working fine.

Then the brakes lights (front and rear) started turning on the battery charging light, dimming the guages and worse shorting the fuse on the ignition and rad circuit.

It's driving me crazy. I took the tank off cleaned all connectors with silicone and I'm still having the problem. I suspect it's the ignition switch. Any ideas?

PS - I did get the clutch cable on. (easier if you loosen the tank and pry it up.)

Thanks.
The front brake lights shouldn't be illuminating unless the ABS is switched off.
robert

The front brake lights shouldn't be illuminating unless the ABS is switched off.
robert

It's an '85 - no ABS.

CarGuz.. need more information. When you say the brake lights - can we assume you mean front and rear brake SWITCH?

And exactly what fuses are blowing (number would be good..) or what circuits are indicated on the fuse box cover?

It sounds as if you have a short someplace in the brake light wiring. Does the brake light turn ON when you use the front and rear switch (lever and pedal)?

The bike is 24 years old now - and the wiring harnesses have been known to be troublesome (lots of wiring running through too small an opening is a common problem with them.) It's possible there is an internal short in the harness, which can be an absolute bear to track down (I've rebuilt/built K100 harnesses - I don't recommend it if you want to keep your sanity.)

We need more information to help you.

BTW - what's your actual name?

If this is an intermittent short and blows a fuse, you can wire a couple of male spade lugs to a turnsignal bulb and plug it in place of the fuse. Then when you squeeze, wiggle, or push the wiring harness and the bulb lights, that is where you need to unwrap the harness, etc. and can find and fix the short.

Could be.....

Just a thought. I have a 15 year old K1100rs that would cough hard, and finally started dying at speed or whenever. :banghead It turned out to be the wires coming out of the Ignition Switch body. These wires take alot of punishment, as they flex with the steering. I found a wire broken that would touch and then open, and others that were getting the same way. Is it possible that you have one of these wires shorting to ground, or to another wire near by? I think you can see the area looking in from the left side, fork to the right. IF you decide to look closer, the switch CAN be removed from the lock housing insitu, by loosening a set screw on the right side of the lock. The screw will be covered with a spot of paint, red on my bike. Then the switch and wires can be fished out for a better look. FWIW, when I decided to go the replacement route, I took apart the old switch, and the actual contacts inside were so burned, I needed replacing anyhow. Good luck KC

Just a thought. I have a 15 year old K1100rs that would cough hard, and finally started dying at speed or whenever. :banghead It turned out to be the wires coming out of the Ignition Switch body. These wires take alot of punishment, as they flex with the steering. I found a wire broken that would touch and then open, and others that were getting the same way. Is it possible that you have one of these wires shorting to ground, or to another wire near by? I think you can see the area looking in from the left side, fork to the right. IF you decide to look closer, the switch CAN be removed from the lock housing insitu, by loosening a set screw on the right side of the lock. The screw will be covered with a spot of paint, red on my bike. Then the switch and wires can be fished out for a better look. FWIW, when I decided to go the replacement route, I took apart the old switch, and the actual contacts inside were so burned, I needed replacing anyhow. Good luck KC

For more info on cleaning your ignition switch: http://www.eilenberger.net/K75S/IgnitionSwitch/index.html - which assumes you have removed it already..

Back